Menu

How to get better sleep?

Vida Winter

I had this problem for years.  I had no trouble falling asleep but would wake up a few hours later and then be awake until an hour before I had to get up.  My doc prescribed Trazadone and it has helped tremendously.  My overall health and quality of life improved when I started sleeping through the night again.

Might not be what you were looking for but it has been a huge help to me.

I've always been a sound sleeper -- now I wake up in the middle of the night and fall asleep just before dawn. Maddening. If I were a little more awake I could read but it's more of a fog.

I also slept like a rock my entire life and then suddenly would wake up, stay awake, be exhausted the next day. It was the beginning of perimenopause for me. Once I got that under control I once again sleep fine. I keep adavan on hand for the rare night I can't sleep.

Things that make insomnia worse--- alcohol, sugar, caffeine, overheating especially near bedtime, lack of exercise. Stress. Ha. As if we can cut out stress.

Mine started about the time I turned 40.  Maddening is right.

Magnesium helps me some.  It helps more with some of the things that keep me awake (stressed thoughts, RLS, stuff like that).  I still wake up in the middle of the night, but I can often get back to sleep more easily.  It's very, very rare that I actually go to sleep and don't wake up until morning.   I'm appreciating some of the other recommendations. 

Yes, those aging hormones.  I've actually been sleeping better using a sleep app on my ipad called sleep genius.  It plays music that is supposed to have tones in it to put your brain in to sleep mode.  the teen and i have both been using it.  its free, so cant hurt to try if you have a smartphone or something

Yes, those aging hormones.  I've actually been sleeping better using a sleep app on my ipad called sleep genius.  It plays music that is supposed to have tones in it to put your brain in to sleep mode.  the teen and i have both been using it.  its free, so cant hurt to try if you have a smartphone or something

I just downloaded it to my Android. ;-)