Menu

Can someone please suggest an All-in-One LA program

Tsutsie

We are currently using so many different programs in an effort to make sure that we cover all the bases.

Grammar - BJU English

Writing - BJU English (hate it)

Spelling - Spelling Workout

Vocab - English from the roots up.

Reading & Comprehension - Whatever I can find - not doing a good job with this.

Needless to say, it feels very disjointed and we are not enjoying it at all. 

Can someone suggest a program that will bring all of this together in a nice, enjoyable package, while still being rigours/challenging.

Are your kids working at the same level across subjects? I'd love a straight forward all in one program--there's just no way I could given how all over the place he is.

I originally looked at Phonics Road and I liked a lot of things about it. We will likely use MCT next year and that will probably be as close as we ever get to an integrated program.

I am also looking for this as I have a large family and it is just so time consuming to get all of this done and we seem to keep falling behind......

I had heard of Learning Language Arts through Literature and was contemplating it....  Alibris has many editions used and low priced....

And today I was just lounging and perusing the Boards to stumble upon another new and not well known one... Language Lessons Through Literature.  Amazon has hard copies of the Teacher books.

www.lulu.com

has pdf files and hard copies of Teacher and Student books.  They are written by Kathy Jo Devore who has posted answers to some posted questions on here. I can't link it right now, but will try to later.

It looks like a great curriculum and one great appeal to  me is 1 & 2 are together  ( Teacher manual ) to get started.

CLE!! Their grammar is excellent an student directed. Spelling, grammar, etc are all covered. I think their writing assignment are weak so we add writing.

I highly recommend CLE reading - even for great readers (use on grade level). It covers literary terms, poetry, context, etc. LOTS of great stuff, my kids love it, takes 20 minutes every other day and it's cheap.

I'd suggest checking all of the available sample pages and TOCs for Galore Park English before buying it.   We didn't do that carefully enough -- just skimmed them, and relied on other people's reviews -- and were disappointed when the books arrived.  They turned out to be quite light on classic literature, and heavy on excerpts from contemporary YA novels, some of which aren't suitable for our family. 

(ETA:  I've done a bit of digging and found some other UK books that we like better, from Collins, Nelson Thornes, and Letts.  I'm not going to recommend them, though, because the quality is variable, most of the books are out of print, and there usually isn't a Preview option.   They also tend to have some assignments that might baffle most American children, such as reading an imaginary fan letter to Harry Seccombe, or writing rhyming couplets about Belinda's buttered buns.  :huh: :laugh: )

My favorite options so far are:

- The early 90s, spiral bound LLATL.   Once you understand the approach, you can teach multiple ages from the same book by adjusting the assignments.  (The introduction actually recommends doing this.)  That's about as "all in one" as you can get. 

- "Language Lessons" by Baker and Carpenter, available at archive.org

- For those who are interested in Catholic content:  the De La Salle Readers from around 1880-1910 (but not the 1920s version, which doesn't have the language arts exercises).   They aren't so easy to find in scanned versions, but there are some high quality reprints floating around. 

TOP SUGGESTION: K12 Language Arts {as an Independent. Has it all Quite excellent. Like Really Good!}

These others will condense what you do but you still have to add to them.

CLE 100-1200 {Lang Arts and Reading (VERY religious, though)}

R&S 2-10 {English and Spelling/Vocab and Reading (Bible Stories only). 3 books but excellent and simple to do}

Hake 4-8 {no reading}

These are strictly literature.

Lightning Lit has a new lower grades program or pick up in 6th/7th. 

Memoria Press Lit guides are my younger sets' favs. These are advanced so go with the reading comfort level of your child.

We detested BJU English, Spelling {even 2nd edition}, and Lit/Reading as well for 2nd and 7th. The Vocabulary for 7th on up is a joke! The literature lessons later on discourage reading the classics or anything but "Christian" writers.  UGGG!!!!!