Menu

8/13 Exercise check in

It looks like this took me about 70 minutes or so. I not real into check the times when I walk/run outside. I do know I am running more than walking every day. I really don't seem to have much endurance for running long distances, and I never did. I ran track in highschool and college, but my longest race was the 400 m. The 400 m was a killer race though, I was always glad to reach the finish line with that one. My favorite races where the 100 and 200 m

Wow! That's just so darn early! What time do you go to bed? How did your knee feel?

I just ran 3.6 miles in 32 minutes. I'm getting faster!!! It was really humid, so it didn't feel great, but I did it!!!

We stayed up late last night and watched some of the Olympics. So probably got in bed by 11:00. Usually I'm out by 10 or 10:30. I want to continue getting up at 5:30 this school year (which starts on Monday) so that I can keep exercising. Before I started running/walking I got up at 6:00 every day.

My knee felt pretty good. I did some reading on Runnersworld.com last night about proper form and I tried to keep that in mind as I ran. I think I could have gone further but I didn't want to push it.

Oh and it was soupy out this morning! Wow...just so humid it was almost dripping from the sky. But it wasn't that warm, so that was nice. Dh and I both detest cold weather, so I am anxious to see how we do when it arrives.

It looks like this took me about 70 minutes or so. I not real into check the times when I walk/run outside. I do know I am running more than walking every day. I really don't seem to have much endurance for running long distances, and I never did. I ran track in highschool and college, but my longest race was the 400 m. The 400 m was a killer race though, I was always glad to reach the finish line with that one. My favorite races where the 100 and 200 m

Your distance is amazing! Is that all flat walking? I have this dumb hill on my street that just kills me. When I walked 4.5 miles on Monday (split up between two times) I could really feel it in my knees. I guess I have to just keep working up slowly.

Your distance is amazing! Is that all flat walking? I have this dumb hill on my street that just kills me. When I walked 4.5 miles on Monday (split up between two times) I could really feel it in my knees. I guess I have to just keep working up slowly.

Yep the Eastern Shore of Maryland is a very flat place LOL Our neighborhood is a wonderful place to walk. Very well designed roads that are wide. Very few people park on the road as we all have 2 car garages and wide driveways. This is a lot of the reason we moved to this neighborhood.

Where I grew up we had hills so I feel for your knees.

I'm addicted to hearing Joan and Lance and Tiger on my iPod! Today it was Lance telling me it was my longest run. :D

4.06 miles (I finally found one!), 43:08, 10:38 pace.

It was sprinkling when I left. Started to rain once I got in the woods. Then dd called me b/c it was raining! Finally finished as it was sprinkling again.

The dog was with me today. The one who is afraid of rain. He wasn't too bad. The time he decided he was too wet and shook wasn't exactly fun though. I didn't know they could shake and run at the same time. :tongue_smilie:

Great job with the run/walk!

The 400 m race is a killer no matter what your distance is. I was an 800 m runner in high school and college. Of course they alway put me on the 4x400 as well, usually anchor leg. For some reason I couldn't stand to let anyone be ahead of me (probably why I still don't run well with others!) and I would catch any teams ahead of ours by the second curve. But there is this wall at 300 m that everyone hits. The only race worse than the 400m was the indoor 500 m - 2 walls and then you still have 100 m to go! sprinting that long on an indoor track which is only 200 m anyway is just insane!

I couldn't resist. I got up at 5:30 and dh and I ran/walk 1.4 miles. I wanted to go further, but I do not want to further stress my knee.

At 5:30 I'd only been asleep for 2 hours! :D

No running for me today. It's raining now, and from the looks of the satellite, it will be all day. Bummer. I will usually go in the rain if it's a light rain but we have a steady rain with an occassional lighting bolt.

Today's physical activity will consist of blinking, breathing, listening (TV), typing (now). That's it.

We had a great time at dd's rally yesterday, but I'm bushed. Tonight we're going to the American Idol tour concert....actually, we have to be at my sister's house at 1:30 so we can get over to Philly for the pre-concert meet & greet (she got backstage passes).

The rest of the week doesn't look much better. I'm busy every stinkin' day. Really busy. I'm planning on running tomorrow afternoon and sometime Saturday. That'll only give me 3 running days this week, but with my tired body and bad shoes, it's enough. I'm going to get new shoes on Sunday. I usually try not to go shopping anywhere on Sunday, but I need the shoes for next week.

Off to blink and breathe....

I'm on my 3rd week, still doing 1 hour of cardio. Today it was 30 min bike, 30 min eliptical, just not posting daily. I did buy myself some TLC for my feet as a reward.

What is your favorite work out wear? Looking for tops that will keep me cool, sports bras that will support "books", how are the top/bra combo's? and bottoms that prevent rubbing while not creeping up?

Great job on the cardio workout!

I tend to buy my running bras from Road Runner Sports. Even though I could probably get by with less, I only buy bras marked with a "3" or "3+". I've never bought anything there, but Title Nine has a good selection as well. Again, I'd probably buy bras with 3 or more barbells. This includes bra tops at both places. Some are good, but some are for yoga and have virtually no support if you're running. For bottoms, you want a long inseam. I pay attention to the runner reviews and follow those more than the descriptions. I have one Nike running skort that is wonderful and one that creeps up. The good one I found at Goodwill! :glare: Great price but now I can't find another one.

I'm on my 3rd week, still doing 1 hour of cardio. Today it was 30 min bike, 30 min eliptical, just not posting daily. I did buy myself some TLC for my feet as a reward.

What is your favorite work out wear? Looking for tops that will keep me cool, sports bras that will support "books", how are the top/bra combo's? and bottoms that prevent rubbing while not creeping up?

I need this info too! Great job on the hour of cardio.

No running for me today. It's raining now, and from the looks of the satellite, it will be all day. Bummer. I will usually go in the rain if it's a light rain but we have a steady rain with an occassional lighting bolt.

But Elaine, we need the rain! Take a rest day. You will be fine!

Today's physical activity will consist of blinking, breathing, listening (TV), typing (now). That's it.

We had a great time at dd's rally yesterday, but I'm bushed. Tonight we're going to the American Idol tour concert....actually, we have to be at my sister's house at 1:30 so we can get over to Philly for the pre-concert meet & greet (she got backstage passes).

The rest of the week doesn't look much better. I'm busy every stinkin' day. Really busy. I'm planning on running tomorrow afternoon and sometime Saturday. That'll only give me 3 running days this week, but with my tired body and bad shoes, it's enough. I'm going to get new shoes on Sunday. I usually try not to go shopping anywhere on Sunday, but I need the shoes for next week.

Blink, breathe, listen, type. Repeat. Have a good week. It sounds really busy!

I don't usually run on Wed. because I have tkd today. But, after my dismal run yesterday, I decided that I was going to go ahead and run today too. The weather was about as nice as it could be for an August morning. And, since it's my birthday, I was determined to give myself the gift that nobody else could - I ran 3 miles today! It took me 33 minutes which is 5 minutes longer than my previous longest run.

So give me those high fives now! five.gif

I don't usually run on Wed. because I have tkd today. But, after my dismal run yesterday, I decided that I was going to go ahead and run today too. The weather was about as nice as it could be for an August morning. And, since it's my birthday, I was determined to give myself the gift that nobody else could - I ran 3 miles today! It took me 33 minutes which is 5 minutes longer than my previous longest run.

Woo hoo! Great job! I was going to rest too because my knee feels a little off, but I went out for 1.4 miles...about half walking. Feels good to get something done when you thought you wouldn't.

Speaking of birthdays...I just found out I share a bd with Michael Phelps. I was 20 the day he was born. :tongue_smilie: I'm old.

Another beautiful morning in Central VA! I was out the door at 7:00 with dd who is running x-country to meet her team at Thomas Jefferson's house :). There is a trail near Monticello that winds through the woods, over a couple of wooden bridges and to the base of the "hountain" where TJ lived. The coaches call this "TJ's Run." So, I ended up running ~ 4.5 miles (.5 easy, .5 hard, .5 easy, etc.) I love doing these intervals.

Tomorrow our family is going up to D.C for "The Call." I'll have a 4-mile pace run tomorrow, core work on Friday, and a 6-mile run on Saturday. I won't be checking in b/c I'll leave my computer at home.

Regarding clothes, Cheryl has great insight. I'm not really well-endowed, and so I don't need a ton of support. My favorite bra is from Target. Then I put on a wicking t-shirt or tank top. Again, Target has a decent selection. I like to run in the biker style running shorts. Mine are "Under Armour" from Dick's. Our Target doesn't have these. I like them b/c they don't ride up. I just gave away a couple of the running skorts. They were too loose and so they rode up, but I think I would like them if they were in the right size. Also, although my hair is shoulder-length, it's layered and so it doesn't stay in a ponytail. I got a wicking baseball cap from Dick's and LOVE running in this. HTH!

Good job! And happy birthday :party:

Another beautiful morning in Central VA! I was out the door at 7:00 with dd who is running x-country to meet her team at Thomas Jefferson's house :). There is a trail near Monticello that winds through the woods, over a couple of wooden bridges and to the base of the "hountain" where TJ lived. The coaches call this "TJ's Run." So, I ended up running ~ 4.5 miles (.5 easy, .5 hard, .5 easy, etc.) I love doing these intervals.

Tomorrow our family is going up to D.C for "The Call." I'll have a 4-mile pace run tomorrow, core work on Friday, and a 6-mile run on Saturday. I won't be checking in b/c I'll leave my computer at home.

Great job this morning! Your plan for the weekend sounds great!

:cheers2: :cheers2: :cheers2: (I didn't see the high fives!)

Great job! And Happy Birthday! :party:

I'm not a runner either. I could probably do the 10 yard dash........well I'd actually run.....'cept by the time I got going everyone else would be done. I am NOT a "dasher" either! So, I do "briskish" walking with dh and/or our dog. The dog is rather wimpy with walking and tires out before I do though! He's a lab, what's with that?!

ANYWAY, I took yesterday off, cuz my knee was bothering me. The dog and I went out for a 1 hour brisk walk this morning, and my knee didn't bother me at all! WooHoo! We got out at 7am, so before the sun was too hot.

In the summer I typically wear running shorts and a sports tank with a built-in shelf. I don't even need the shelf, though. I can actually run in just a plain ol' t-shirt if I want to ~ it's great!:)

I'm supposed to run 6 miles today ~ and 27 this week, total ~ according to the 12-week plan I follow. It ain't happenin'. As much as I like to get out there and have time to myself, sometimes I get kinda bummed because of the trade-off: If I go for a run, I miss something else I'd like to do, and vice versa. So like this week, running takes me away from the fair and potentially away from something fun my boys are doing there.

This morning I need to ride my bike to the tow yard and retrieve my vehicle, and after that I need to get to the fairgrounds. This is ride day for my little guys and I want to watch them and be part of their excitement, not go off running, kwim? So, I may just skip the run. I kinda feel guilty about it, and I know this week my mileage will fall far short, but...I don't want to be like the woman I know who missed most of her boys' soccer games while training for a marathon. In the blink of an eye, I won't have any little ones to watch as they gleefully ride the dragon "roller coaster". So, that's my priority and I am not going to let myself feel guilty for skipping the run. I'm not, I'm telling you! I just won't.Really. Well, maybe just a little guilt...

I'm supposed to run 6 miles today ~ and 27 this week, total ~ according to the 12-week plan I follow. It ain't happenin'. As much as I like to get out there and have time to myself, sometimes I get kinda bummed because of the trade-off: If I go for a run, I miss something else I'd like to do, and vice versa. So like this week, running takes me away from the fair and potentially away from something fun my boys are doing there.

This morning I need to ride my bike to the tow yard and retrieve my vehicle, and after that I need to get to the fairgrounds. This is ride day for my little guys and I want to watch them and be part of their excitement, not go off running, kwim? So, I may just skip the run. I kinda feel guilty about it, and I know this week my mileage will fall far short, but...I don't want to be like the woman I know who missed most of her boys' soccer games while training for a marathon. In the blink of an eye, I won't have any little ones to watch as they gleefully ride the dragon "roller coaster". So, that's my priority and I am not going to let myself feel guilty for skipping the run. I'm not, I'm telling you! I just won't.Really. Well, maybe just a little guilt...

Colleen, I think your mommy priorities are in perfect order. You should be there for them! Take the day(s) off and do not feel guilty over it!

Good job.

About the workout wear, this is my favorite sports bra so far http://www.championusa.com/Champion/Products/Women-Champion/Women_ShopByCategory-Champion/Women_SportsBras-Champion/Women_SportsBras_Bestsellers-Champion/CH072.aspx - I'm well endowed and don't like ones that just pull over your head as I get it stuck trying to take it off. I don't think any of the top/bra combo's would offer me enough support for running. As for tops, I really like tank tops that have cotton in them rather than being the polyester/lycra/etc combos as they seem to just stick to my skin and make me feel hotter. I'm still searching for shorts I like.

Well, yesterday ended up being a day of sloth and today was a good exercise day. We ended up walking to the ice cream place for hot dogs (oh, hush!) and then to the park where we played Scary Mommy Chasing Us until I ran out of breath. Then, a nice long walk home.

We were out for 3 hours - I probably walked/ran for two of them.

Jen

Well, yesterday ended up being a day of sloth and today was a good exercise day. We ended up walking to the ice cream place for hot dogs (oh, hush!) and then to the park where we played Scary Mommy Chasing Us until I ran out of breath. Then, a nice long walk home.

Jen

:lol: Okay, I'll be quiet! :lol:

I like your "Scary Mommy Chasing Us" name! I'm so mad at myself because my kids used to name things we did like that, and I didn't write them down!!! What was I thinking?!!!:glare: So please remember to write those things down for their baby books or storage somewhere!

Jen

Good for you Jen!

I'm addicted to hearing Joan and Lance and Tiger on my iPod! Today it was Lance telling me it was my longest run. :D

4.06 miles (I finally found one!), 43:08, 10:38 pace.

It was sprinkling when I left. Started to rain once I got in the woods. Then dd called me b/c it was raining! Finally finished as it was sprinkling again.

The dog was with me today. The one who is afraid of rain. He wasn't too bad. The time he decided he was too wet and shook wasn't exactly fun though. I didn't know they could shake and run at the same time. :tongue_smilie:

Okay - I gotta' get me one of those things!!! Will it tell you pace as you are running? I want that too!!!

Great job! It's so much fun to read how much faster you're getting!!!!

Getting faster is great! You were worried about slowing down your marathon, great job!

Thanks! The reason I worry about slowing down our marathon relay is because I can keep the pace for 3 - 4 miles, but my leg is 5.8 miles! So, we'll see if I can keep it up. So far, so good!!

Can't you run between the drops/bolts yet? :lol:

Okay - the heck with running! How'd you get backstage tickets to the AI concert?????!!!! I think I need some of those! We watched all season and had so much fun!!!

Let us know what shoes you end up with!!

Happy birthday!!!!!! And, that is an AWESOME run!!!!!! So, did you love running when you were done? Isn't it amazing what a difference a day can make???

HTH!

I love your plans for running. I think I need to make some up for myself!

I was out before 6 this morning and ran about 3 miles or so. I'm so exact, aren't I? I really need to get more routes mapped out as I'm terrible at guessing. Time was 26:28. :)

Great job to all! Jennifer in MI, I can't believe how fast you are getting! :)

I wish I could drag myself out of bed that early!

Thanks!!! I've been working so hard and it's so much fun to see it pay off! Now, to increase my distances. . .

You absolutely did the right thing!!! You can pick up where you left off next week. Enjoy the fair!

Is anyone else getting negative responses from people when you tell them you run? It's been so odd - quite a few people are supportive. But, lately I've been hearing a lot about how bad it is for your knees, ankles, etc. My mom (especially my mom) has been telling me how many runners go out only for the the "high" and to escape relationships. Ummm . . . really??? 30 - 45 minutes/day? Anyway, then when that doesn't work, she quote doctors who tell you that running isn't good for you (for various reasons). It's just a downer yk?

But, it's not just my mom. Other people (at church, baseball, etc) don't hesitate to tell me how bad it is for me. What's up with that???? Ugh.

Great job on the run! I use this site to map out runs when I actually map them before I head out.

Jen

Is anyone else getting negative responses from people when you tell them you run? It's been so odd - quite a few people are supportive. But, lately I've been hearing a lot about how bad it is for your knees, ankles, etc. My mom (especially my mom) has been telling me how many runners go out only for the the "high" and to escape relationships. Ummm . . . really??? 30 - 45 minutes/day? Anyway, then when that doesn't work, she quote doctors who tell you that running isn't good for you (for various reasons). It's just a downer yk?

Well, she's wrong about the knee thing. I read it somewhere, probably Runner's World, that runners actually have fewer knee problems than the general population because we are out there exercising whereas the general population is not. We tend not to be as heavy which can also cause issues. Found the article! I didn't read the whole article, just the beginning to get the gist, but I'm pretty sure that's the one.

Hello all,

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to read all the encouraging posts today. Have to give dh laptop and quite frankly I do not like sitting at the regular computer anymore. I did the whole 50 minutes of my 'sexy' slim down. Woo hoo :D.

On a sad note I just found out how many calories are in a large mocha breve and now I cannot eat for at least two years.:glare: Boy did I love those things.

Well, she's wrong about the knee thing. I read it somewhere, probably Runner's World, that runners actually have fewer knee problems than the general population because we are out there exercising whereas the general population is not. We tend not to be as heavy which can also cause issues. Found the article! I didn't read the whole article, just the beginning to get the gist, but I'm pretty sure that's the one.

Woohoo!!! This is exactly the type of article I needed! I'm emailing her next.

Now I need to find exercises that will help strengthen my knees - just to make her happy!! LOL

But, it's not just my mom. Other people (at church, baseball, etc) don't hesitate to tell me how bad it is for me. What's up with that???? Ugh.

My mom has expressed concern about me several times...but I think she is supportive---just worried that it will damage my joints and knees and cartilage.

I have Bible Study tonight...I will bring it up in conversation and report back the response I get! Hee hee..

Woohoo!!! This is exactly the type of article I needed! I'm emailing her next.

Now I need to find exercises that will help strengthen my knees - just to make her happy!! LOL

I was on Runnersworld.com last night and found several things that tell about proper gait and form and stretching....it made me feel better.

On a sad note I just found out how many calories are in a large mocha breve and now I cannot eat for at least two years.

:smilielol5:

I just had a large iced sugar free vanilla chai at the coffee shop while ds was in piano lessons. It probably has that poison sugar sub in it though. I need to just stick to water.

My mom has expressed concern about me several times...but I think she is supportive---just worried that it will damage my joints and knees and cartilage.

I have Bible Study tonight...I will bring it up in conversation and report back the response I get! Hee hee..

Oh - yes. Do let me know what they say!! I'm really interested if this is a I'm-just-worried-about-you thing, or an I'm-going-to-pretend-I'm-worried-about-you-but-I'm-actually-jealous-that-you're-out-there-getting-off-your-butt thing!!

I was on Runnersworld.com last night and found several things that tell about proper gait and form and stretching....it made me feel better.

I'm going to camp out there tonight!

Hello all,

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to read all the encouraging posts today. Have to give dh laptop and quite frankly I do not like sitting at the regular computer anymore. I did the whole 50 minutes of my 'sexy' slim down. Woo hoo :D.

On a sad note I just found out how many calories are in a large mocha breve and now I cannot eat for at least two years.:glare: Boy did I love those things.

I'm so sorry! Why did you look it up???? LOL