Menu

Christmas present for 5yr old boy. Please help!

Rush

Dear parents of young boys, I need yr help! I have no idea what to give to my oldest son:(

all what he wants is a puppy, but we can not take it before summer and he understands.

He doesn't play lego or other construction toys much, neither cars. He doesn't like to draw, but writes a lot. Loves listening to music, sings, dances and asks me to help him to invent an elixir of immortality. He loves play with his brother and active toys. And the most important i want to see him shining this Christmas, so would consider any silly toys as longer they will make him happy. Any suggestions pls? 

Many thx:)

For my son's 5th birthday we got him a bicycle. It sounds like your active boy would like some active outdoor toy like that.

thanks for yr suggestion. He would really love a new bike, but my mum's already giving it to him completely with all accessories 

Last Christmas, we got our kids their own Sansa Clip Zip mp3 players and a set of portable, rechargeable speakers.   We filled them with audio books (mostly free from Librivox) and music.  They were a huge hit - the children have used them almost every day during our afternoon Quiet Time.  No big screens, just enough to choose what they want to listen to.  My youngest was 5 at the time and has taken good care of it.  We also purchased these USB chargers, but I didn't pay that much for them.

Another idea is a digital camera.  There are decent point and shoot cameras available at a smaller price that a child can manage (better than the "children's digi cams")  We usually give that for the 7th birthday, but if he likes writing stories it might be a good inspiration maker. 

Last Christmas, we got our kids their own Sansa Clip Zip mp3 players and a set of portable, rechargeable speakers.   We filled them with audio books (mostly free from Librivox) and music.  They were a huge hit - the children have used them almost every day during our afternoon Quiet Time.  No big screens, just enough to choose what they want to listen to.  My youngest was 5 at the time and has taken good care of it.  We also purchased these USB chargers, but I didn't pay that much for them.

Another idea is a digital camera.  There are decent point and shoot cameras available at a smaller price that a child can manage (better than the "children's digi cams")  We usually give that for the 7th birthday, but if he likes writing stories it might be a good inspiration maker. 

he has it:(

Fisher Price pogo stick. It has a removable base at the bottom for beginners. Scooter. Indoor mini tramp. Rhythm Band instruments :-)

pogo stick is definitely no, we have a little one who's trying to repeat everything after his brother. Scooter - there is already one. Trampoline is actually a great idea and he wants it, but i m not sure if i should get one at home. Do you have one? is it safe? we are talking about a little one with a handle...

It's me again....lol.... I just wanted to say that my active boy who doesn't really play with matchbox cars LOVES them if he has a Hotwheels racetrack to run them on...fun!

my youngest son is crazy about cars and we have lots of them, but the oldest never plays with them:( Anyway my hubby is getting for an youngest Carrera track, but i am still looking for something personal for my eldest.

Remote control car?

Marble run?

he wants a remote control car, but i am scarred that it will be taken by his youngest brother as well:(

marble run will be given by another granny for both of them

Does anyone know a good but not very expensive karaoke machine or just a good microphone, or maybe a good guitar for very young kids? also he likes the drums, but it s too noisy :glare:

How about getting him the *lessons* for the drums and then ask the drum teacher what set he recommends...

what do you think if I get him a good microscope (I really like this one  http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Lab-Duo-Scope-Microscope/dp/B000NOU54O) and a first chemistry set. Any suggestion for a interesting kit for a bright 5 yrs old pls?

what do you think if I get him a good microscope (I really like this one  http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Lab-Duo-Scope-Microscope/dp/B000NOU54O) and a first chemistry set. Any suggestion for a interesting kit for a bright 5 yrs old pls?

Microscopes are a loaded topic.  You'll find some cool kits at Home Science Tools.  They've put together science kits by topic that include instructions, backpacks with everything you need for the topic, etc.  My 5 yo (newly 5) has very good fine motor, but I don't think he'd be good with a regular microscope.  Stereo scope or Brock magiscope yes, regular, no.  Of course a regular with prepared slides?  

If he likes chem, definitely pursue it.  Just know that you're probably going to have to read the instructions and whatnot for him.  You might find it easier to choose through the HST site.

I am giving the kids want, for the most part. For DS that includes a remote control all terrain vehicle, a robot, an Angry Birds game, and a transformer dinosaur....I threw in a couple learning things like snap circuits junior and a learning cash register plus a total surprise...a tablet.