Menu

What do you do with yours? Again!

MomOfOneFunOne

AMDG

I have gotten the best ideas from you guys over the past week or so that have really helped me organize! Thank you for that!

So my current organizational thorn: Shoes!

What do you do with your shoes? Aren't there some that you want to keep handy b/c it's the season for them? Aren't there some that can be less handy? But you don't want to go to a lot of these-into-these-out-of storage bother, do you?

How do you keep your shoes?

Current, in-season shoes that I wear every day are lined up under my dresser for easy grabbing.  In-season shoes that are more special occasion are kept in 2 flat storage bins under my bed.  Dh has the same arrangement.  A have a couple of pairs of tall boots that I keep in my closet, since they don't fit under my bed or dresser.  The bins slide out easily b/c we have a rug under our bed.  Our bedroom is small, so I had to get creative.  I can't fit many shoes in my closet b/c I keep a big Lane cedar chest in there for out of season clothes.  Out of season shoes are kept mostly in shoe boxes in the walk in closet in my Dd's bedroom.  

We have a "boot bench" near the door - it is a box with wire mesh sides (so you can see in) that holds shoes with a bench lid.  Great for sitting down to put your shoes on.  Each of us has one pair of every day shoes that get worn all the time and those sit on the rug in front of the bench.  Everything else goes inside the boot box.

That reminds me - I have this week off from work and one of my projects needs to be to sort out the shoes in the boot bench again.  There are usually a pair or two that someone has outgrown that I can donate.

Thanks for this thread--I'd been thinking of posting the same question. Right now we do like ThatHomeschoolDad--pile. We're in the deep south USA so we don't have seasonal shoes. And no good places to keep them near the front or garage doors; just no space in either spot. I hope to glean some good ideas from this thread.

We have a "boot bench" near the door - it is a box with wire mesh sides (so you can see in) that holds shoes with a bench lid. Great for sitting down to put your shoes on. Each of us has one pair of every day shoes that get worn all the time and those sit on the rug in front of the bench. Everything else goes inside the boot box.

That reminds me - I have this week off from work and one of my projects needs to be to sort out the shoes in the boot bench again. There are usually a pair or two that someone has outgrown that I can donate.

AMDG

SOOOO . . . Go join The Great Advent D/C Challenge!! It's lonely over there this morning!

I'm Asian. LOL Our shoes are piled by the door. 

We change into house shoes at the door, and leave our most oft-worn 1-2 pairs on a rug by the door.  Specialty shoes (boots, sports, dress) are in the laundry room. Each person has a dedicated tub for his shoes, and that tub has a designated space on a shelf in the cabinet.  The tubs we have are the kind that hold file folders - neither too big, nor too small.  When I was a kid, we didn't have a laundry room so there was just a bookshelf by the door to hold the baskets of specialty shoes. 

We primarily use our garage door, but I also keep baskets of slippahs by the front door and the door to the backyard - all sizes, just to have handy for quick trips outside for the mail, paper, dog, etc.

A shoe rack in the laundry room holds all the shoes that are worn frequently in that season.

Out-of-season shoes are stored in their labeled boxes on top of the laundry room closets (boots in summer, flip-flips, keens, open sandals in winter)

My dress shoes that are seldom worn are stored in their original boxes in my closet.

Barn shoes, riding boots, and muddy hiking boots live on a rack in the garage.