Menu

Making a draft stopper -- what filler to use?

mlktwins

I need to make 4 window, 1 door, and 1 fireplace draft stoppers.  The directions look pretty simple, but I'm wondering what filler is best to keep the cold out this winter.

Any recommendations?

My friend tried sand. It was SUPER heavy, and would've worked great for a window or even a door that didn't get much use. I wouldn't use it for a door that is regularly used, though.

I used the cheap, easy option: rice.  I whipped one up on a whim, and it's what I had on hand.  I think popcorn kernels would be another good choice - firm but not prohibitively heavy, and easy enough to find in your pantry or any grocery store.

I used pinto beans because I had a fifty pound bag available.  Wasn't too heavy, but then I sewed divider seams into the tube every 4 inches so the beans wouldn't all clog up at one end.

As for a pattern, I took a piece of cloth that was 3 feet long (for the door) and 8 inches wide.  Folder it in half (lengthwise), stitched up one end and the long side.  Filled about 1/3 full of beans, spread the beans evenly out through the length then went back and stitched a seam in about every 4-6 inches so the beans wouldn't run around.  Finally, stitched the end closed and POOF!  You're Done!

ETA: I have also seen nice ones made out of old tube socks.  Fill and duct table the ends shut.

Depending on your design--pool noodles or pipe insulation (basically like a pool noodle) could be good options, and if you need to, you can still fill the insides of those with additional material to make them heavier so that they don't move around. You can cut them to length, and they are light if the door they are against is one that you open and close frequently.