Menu

Classics major and study abroad

Myra

My son is currently a sophomore in college with a declared dual major of classics and economics.  He is nervous about studying abroad and would only like to try it out for a two week trip either during winter break in January or summer break this year or next preferably earning college credits for it.  His college does not offer this option but is open to other programs being acceptable. SO................without totally emptying our savings account, could you point to some programs?

Thanks,

Myra

My son is currently a sophomore in college with a declared dual major of classics and economics.  He is nervous about studying abroad and would only like to try it out for a two week trip either during winter break in January or summer break this year or next preferably earning college credits for it.  His college does not offer this option but is open to other programs being acceptable. SO................without totally emptying our savings account, could you point to some programs?

Thanks,

Myra

I'm thinking that most college programs are going to be a good bit longer than 2 weeks, but there are plenty of standard group tours of that length. 

If he doesn't find anything already set up for short travel and credit, he might see if his college offers independent study credits, where the student sets up their own course for credit. It would have to involve more than just the short trip - maybe research and writing on one or two specific topics? Possibly reading and writing about a specific author, and then visiting pertinent sites? 

Myra,

Here is one option:

http://www.udallas.edu/travel/undergradsummerinrome/index.html

This is a bit longer than two weeks, but the students earn 6 credits by completing two courses.

Brenda

This is a great program if he is interested in Classics--dd did the high school program and I know some college students who have done the college program through UD.  I have personally led a number of college study abroad programs, and I was impressed by how UD's program was run.

University of New Orleans has a month-long program in Innsbruck, Austria.  It is a rather large program that lasts about a month.  http://inst.uno.edu/austria/.  It isn't merely focused on the classics and a wide range of students attend the program--some who are more serious students than others.  Innsbruck is a safe, beautiful home base and students have the ability to travel on weekends to other locations.