Menu

Had our first "where do yo go to school?" and "why aren't you in school" moments in the same week!

So I was out of town on business for few days last week. DH stayed home with the girls. One day he ran to Walmart during school hours. (Why are the nosy peeps always at Walmart?). Some old lady asked him why the girls weren't in school. He just smiled and said we homeschool. She actually said, "We'll, good for you." Lol.

Then this weekend, we went to my dss's wedding. At the reception, his now wife's grandparents sat opposite my girls so they were making small talk. Of course, they asked what grades they were in and where they went to school. When dd12 said homeschool, their faces lit up and they immediately turned to me. They asked about curriculum, how we came about our decision, how it was going, blah blah... Then their son (dss's new FIL) jumped in with the same stuff. Apparently, the grandparents ran a small Christian school back in the day. I knew the FIL was a teacher, but didn't realize he taught at a small private Christian school. They all told me that we would never regret this, we were doing the best thing for our kids, etc etc... Talk about a pep talk when I needed needed one!

I know some of you have experienced negative comments. I hope you get some of these types of encounters in your future. They really do bring a smile to your face.

Oh, and for that poster that was asking about the south. We're in GA and the grandparents are from TN so there ya go!

DD12 had an awkward one this week when the cashier at a restaurant started quizzing her on why she wasn't in school.  Apparently "I'm homeschooled" isn't an excuse to be eating in a restaurant at lunch time!  The cashier lectured DD12 on how she needs to be "home doing her schoolwork" if she wants to get anywhere in life.

Sigh.

So glad you had so many positive reactions!  That is awesome!  

We have had a variety of responses.  The kids and I did get a lecture once on the evils of homeschooling from an elderly lady at a vet clinic (we just smiled politely, mentioned we were happy with our choice and let her moan and rant while I paid the bill), and there was a little bit of tension from some family members at first that made us a bit sad, but the most surprising reaction I got was from telling friends who had kids at my kids' school that we had decided to homeschool (it is NOT a popular choice here and I wondered about how they'd react). 6 asked me within 24 hours if I could homeschool their kids, too.  I had 3 more people I barely know call me to ask if I could advise them on homeschooling.  The school nurse actually quit her job after talking to me and decided to homeschool her sons.  I felt really guilty about that one, since the school really needed a nurse, but oh, well.  I DID warn her that I had never done it and was only going by what I had read (both pro and con).  

I only had one friend that has had a genuinely hard time with my choice.  She tries not to make it an issue, but the distance and discomfort are palpable.

I'm with My3girls, I hope everyone has more of those great, positive moments.  Best wishes!  Thanks for sharing such a positive experience.

Last week I had to have the window replaced in my DH's car. I was sitting in the waiting room with my 8 yr old and after a while an older woman sitting there said "Isn't she supposed to be in school?". The way she said it just rubbed me wrong. Normally I would explain that no, we homeschool but her tone was very condescending. This time all I said was "NO", and left it at that. I know she was waiting for me to explain, but I didn't.

The cashier lectured DD12 on how she needs to be "home doing her schoolwork" if she wants to get anywhere in life.

I know this is going to sound incredibly snarky, but it strikes me as incredibly funny that a cashier at a restaurant was worried about where your DD is going to end up.  I don't believe that anyone is better than others or that there is anything wrong with working at a restaurant and I would have no problem doing that job if I needed to for my family. However, I couldn't ignore the irony of that conversation.

We were at a family funeral of the extended family there were multiple teachers, school principals, inspectors and other education professionals past and present.  It was kind of funny... there was a probably about a 1:3 split between supportive and not and it was amusing to see the not supportives trying to find "proof" that our kids are missing out by not being at school.  The worst perpetrator actually came back to me and said "youve made the right choice" after he sat down and had a conversation with DS (which DS enojyed... he loves it if someone shows an interest in maths or science with him!)

I know this is going to sound incredibly snarky, but it strikes me as incredibly funny that a cashier at a restaurant was worried about where your DD is going to end up.  I don't believe that anyone is better than others or that there is anything wrong with working at a restaurant and I would have no problem doing that job if I needed to for my family. However, I couldn't ignore the irony of that conversation.

Now I'm imagining responding with, "This place doesn't require a high school diploma, does it? Maybe she can work here."

I think I'm too non-confrontational to ever really use that, though.

DD12 had an awkward one this week when the cashier at a restaurant started quizzing her on why she wasn't in school.  Apparently "I'm homeschooled" isn't an excuse to be eating in a restaurant at lunch time!  The cashier lectured DD12 on how she needs to be "home doing her schoolwork" if she wants to get anywhere in life.

Sigh.

Strange. 

I know this is going to sound incredibly snarky, but it strikes me as incredibly funny that a cashier at a restaurant was worried about where your DD is going to end up.

The cashiers at some of my favorite places are actually the owners or the owners children.

Now I'm imagining responding with, "This place doesn't require a high school diploma, does it? Maybe she can work here."

Lots of places prefer cashiers to have at least a high school diploma.