Menu

Hair Chalk?

Spryte

AMDG

If you are referring to the specifically made for hair chalk, my brown-haired daughter found it perfectly useless for her own hair.  It was okay on the blonde AG dolls but left a gross texture until washed out.  

She also tried some special artists chalk that did just a bit better but, on a dark haired girl, not enough color for the cost or trouble.  

I chalked my dd's hair last year for July 4th. Her hair is dark blonde. It worked pretty well, I used some prismacolor pastels that we have (very pigmented). It washed right out the next day.

I have read that you shouldn't use oil pastels because they don't wash out. I'm not sure how that works though because oil pastels are more like crayons so I don't know how the color goes on the hair.

I agree that the texture is gross.

My daughter has black hair. We purchased a couple different chalks at Sally Beauty Supply, ones recommended by them specifically due to the fact her hair is so dark. I would say it worked fairly well although I made a point of applying it very heavy and on days we were going to be out of the house primarily as I was really worried about her rubbing it on the furniture.

We picked up some called "Hot Huez" for DD12 to use at Halloween (she was a Rainbow Pirate - don't ask!)

She has dark brown hair.  The Green and Pink showed up pretty well, Blue was OK and purple useless.  They have a specific method they recommend - first putting leave on conditioner in the hair, then the chalk, then hairspray.  We followed the instructions and it lasted all day.  It washed out in one shampoo.

I suspect it would have been much less successful without the conditioner to make the hair sticky and the hair spray to "fix" the chalk on the hair.  Green and Pink were very bright.

My daughters used hair chalk - I think the Hot Hues brand (the kind with the little sponge inside the compact, and you'd run your hair through the compact.  They have dark brown hair.  Like AK_Mom4, we would spritz their hair with leave in conditioner, moisten the chalk and apply it to their hair, then seal with hair spray.  Most of the colors would show up, but only briefly.  The color almost immediately rubbed or fell off and was no longer visible.  And it did get onto anything that their hair touched (not to mention the mess in the bathroom from the application).  They tried them 2 or 3 times and then gave up and never asked to try them again.

If you have a child with light colored hair, it might be worth a try.  If you didn't have to apply them so heavily in order to show up, they might not make such a mess.