Menu

How do you make chain mail? Any kits?

Bensmom

I think ds would love to make a chain mail vest etc. but have not found any kid-friendly kits. I really don't want to make one myself, so it needs to be easy enough for ds 10 to do with little assistance. Any suggestions?

Oops. Wrong forum. My apologies. I don't know how to move it.

My sister made the coolest-looking vest out of those pop tops from soda cans, something that looked about like this one:

http://m.instructables.com/id/Genuine-chainmaille-from-pop-tabs/

It is actually very sturdy, and has lasted through three active boys and plenty of sword fights:)

This. And it's cheaper than chain mail.

A high school boyfriend and I made a lot of chain mail and chain mail jewelry type things in high school.  Basically, you purchase 12 or 14 gauge wire (can't remember), twist it slowly and painfully around a wooden dowel, about finger-thickness, into an enormous spring-type shape, then slip off the spring and clip each circle of wire off.  Then, with pliers, you open the rings and you start piecing together your chain- you can find lots of into on patterns online.  The twisting and clipping were very hard of the hands and muscles- we eventually switched to using a diamond rotary saw blade, but it was still a whole lot of work to make even a small amount.  We had a lot of free time back then...  I suppose it was a better hobby for a boyfriend and girlfriend than drinking and having TeA!  LOL.  Memories...

A high school boyfriend and I made a lot of chain mail and chain mail jewelry type things in high school.  Basically, you purchase 12 or 14 gauge wire (can't remember), twist it slowly and painfully around a wooden dowel, about finger-thickness, into an enormous spring-type shape, then slip off the spring and clip each circle of wire off.  Then, with pliers, you open the rings and you start piecing together your chain- you can find lots of into on patterns online.  

DH has done this as well.  I made a tiny square back in college, too.  It is a lot of work and takes a looooong time.

You can buy lightweight precut rings now, and I would highly recommend this for a 10 yo. I would suggest he start with something simple, like a chainmail bracelet, chainmail juggling cubes, or a chainmail key fob, just to get an idea of how the work goes. A vest is a large commitment of time. Take a look at www.theringlord.com to find precut rings, downloadable patterns for projects, etc. It's definitely doable.

Also, check to see if you have a local branch of the Society for Creative Anachronism. There will likely be several folks in any given group who would love to teach your son how to make chainmail! :001_smile: www.sca.org

You can buy lightweight precut rings now, and I would highly recommend this for a 10 yo. I would suggest he start with something simple, like a chainmail bracelet, chainmail juggling cubes, or a chainmail key fob, just to get an idea of how the work goes. A vest is a large commitment of time. Take a look at www.theringlord.com to find precut rings, downloadable patterns for projects, etc. It's definitely doable.

Also, check to see if you have a local branch of the Society for Creative Anachronism. There will likely be several folks in any given group who would love to teach your son how to make chainmail! :001_smile: www.sca.org

I still have my chain mail juggling balls!  They are sitting on my bookshelf right now!