Menu

My town moved Halloween

Moxie

I admit I always learn something new on these boards. I had no idea that cities or towns set TOTing hours or had the power to move Halloween.  When we had bad weather, we could stay home or go out for a while.  I guess I just have gotten used to the idea that there are lean years in bad weather and fat years in good.  

I mean, Halloween comes every year.  Some years are just not going to be good.

Seriously.  We have trick or treated in all kinds of crazy weather.  Fortunately their first attempt to move it failed miserably, so hopefully they won't try it again.

PS.  First I've ever heard of set Halloween hours, too!

Unfortunately, some parents can't manage their kids well enough that they don't ring the bell after 9p so rules had to be set up.  It was like that in a few places I've lived.  A friend emails to say she was taking her kids out at 4p when trick or treating "starts".  I have to wonder about that.  I don't know if there is an official start time in this town or not.  I've been her 4 Halloweens now and have never heard of such.  Seems weird because most people in this town seem to be two income families and they all work until 5p.

Having grown up all over I trick or treated with shorts and a tee under a costume because it was quite warm, and I've trick or treated with a snow suit under a costume because it was quite cold.

Tomorrow we have a 50% chance of rain and a high and low of 48.

We're expecting severe thunderstorms and high winds (tornado possibilities) so I'm glad that the county Sheriffs department has asked people to postpone their ToTing.  The problem is our particular city is just saying "parent discretion" so I guarantee there will be idiots driving around in pouring down rain, wind and lightning letting their kids dash from their cars to the houses. My porch light will be off but I'm sure, as happens every year after I run out of candy and turn off the porch light, I'll have kids banging on my door and ringing the doorbell anyway.  Especially since tomorrow they will have just braved a monsoon of cold rain to get to my door. 

I feel like the Halloween Scrooge this year. Bah Humbug!

That's pretty much how it is playing out here........... City said they've never set a time or day, and don't feel it is their "right" to do so but discourage people from being out in dangerous weather. The county is strongly encouraging people to postpone but most people don't actually TOT in the county. Ours is one of the few large subdivisions that is not in the city. Our HOA decided to make Friday an official TOT night, even though they normally are not involved in the "event". Most of us are happy with the decision.

Unfortunately, some parents can't manage their kids well enough that they don't ring the bell after 9p so rules had to be set up.  It was like that in a few places I've lived.  A friend emails to say she was taking her kids out at 4p when trick or treating "starts".  I have to wonder about that.  I don't know if there is an official start time in this town or not.  I've been her 4 Halloweens now and have never heard of such.  Seems weird because most people in this town seem to be two income families and they all work until 5p.

If they showed up here at 4pm, they'd find few houses with lights on............ Most people don't turn their lights on until around 5:30.

My community always schedules Trick or Treating from 3 - 5 pm on the Sunday closest to Halloween and lights are turned on if people are giving out candy. It is never changed for weather conditions.  Surrounding communities also have set times and most are on the weekend, although some of them are at night.  If someone showed up at my door in costume on Halloween night, I wouldn't have any candy to give them.  Halloween is effectively over in my area.

My community always schedules Trick or Treating from 3 - 5 pm on the Sunday closest to Halloween and lights are turned on if people are giving out candy. It is never changed for weather conditions. Surrounding communities also have set times and most are on the weekend, although some of them are at night. If someone showed up at my door in costume on Halloween night, I wouldn't have any candy to give them. Halloween is effectively over in my area.

That is just bizarre to me. Granted, I live and grew up trick or treating in a warm area, so it was never an issue. But I can't fathom not having Halloween on Oct. 31 (barring concerns for extreme weather.)

Like Lara, I grew up in Colorado too. TOT'ed in every kind of weather, even my kids have braved snow, sleet and rain. Maybe careers as mail carriers in the future! :laugh:

How bad could your weather be? Hurricanes?

Not hurricanes. We're inland, so it's tornadoes. The city officially moved ToT to tomorrow night. They were able to announce this yesterday because the weather prediction plus the season guaranteed we'd be under tornado watch tonight - and sure enough, we're officially under tornado watch.

Your mayor is a weenie.

Bad weather on Halloween? Ha! We've NEVER moved Halloween here and we routinely deal with the first or second blizzard of the season. Kids -- teeny tiny kids -- will trudge through meter high snow drifts in parkas, snowpants, snowboots, tuques and mitts and STILL manage to have the most fabulous costumes ever designed to fit around a Michelin-man-sized parka AND haul pilllow cases full of frozen-to-the-core candies, chocolates and chips, AND when they're done, gleefully whip off the 20 pounds of snow gear and 15 pounds of costume, dump their 45 pound haul of booty in the middle of the floor and declare this Halloween -- the coldest, most bitter, most snowy one ever -- to be THE BEST HALLOWEEN EVER!!!!

I miss home. :(