Menu

Is Nutrition a natural science?

I've found several sites online that say it is a natural science.  But I'm hesitant to call it that.   My son is taking a nutrition course at the university as a dual enrolled student.  There is no lab, though.  From the website it seems that Baylor wants 4 sciences and it appears they want labs with them all - I may be misinterpreting the chart, though.

What have you all found?  Do colleges consider Nutrition a natural science?

At our CC, Science of Nutrition is considered a Biological Science. They break up the sciences into Biological and Physical. What's Natural Science? What's Unnatural Science? :glare:

I like the idea of touching base with Baylor.

LOL! That's the problem - defining "natural". I've sent an email to the representative at Baylor. We shall see what they say. I'm hoping astronomy is a natural science by their definition or ds will have to take an extra science next semester.

What's Natural Science?  What's Unnatural Science?

LOL! That's the problem - defining "natural".

I would take the term "natural science" to be used as opposed to "social science".

So, any biological aspects of nutrition would qualify, whereas social issues related to nutrition would not.

Ask the college.

I don't know how accurate College Board is, but they show the need for 4 sciences with 2 labs...

Hmmm...I have no idea how accurate but the Baylor site just says "Natural Science, laboratory" - 4 units

I hope the College Board is more accurate because that he will have 3 with labs (biology, chemistry, physics) and astronomy and nutrition without labs.  Otherwise we scramble next semester LOL.

Baylor has emailed back and said that Nutrition can be counted as a natural science.  I sent another email to find out if the College Board is correct when it says they only require 2 lab sciences.  This could make him look good because he will have 3 sciences with labs as well as nutrition and astronomy.  

I would think his transcript would definitely be considered strong in the sciences, especially with college course(s).

I hope so.  He will have his biology, physics, and nutrition all as dual enrollment and he did chemistry and astronomy at home.  At this point he will take just physics next spring.  We were worried that he would need a second science if nutrition was not applicable.  He's happy to hear that he won't have to take an extra science :)

ok, so what would you call nutrition on a transcript?

I would personally consider it a science elective, like Anatomy & Physiology would be. I minored in human biology and nutrition was one of my elective courses.

One of the useful assignments in that class was to keep a food log for a week and do a complete nutritional analysis of that. We had to compare it to the USDA guidelines as well as alternate guidelines from the Harvard School of Public Health (this was back in the '90's when there was a fairly big difference between the two).

I would take the term "natural science" to be used as opposed to "social science".

So, any biological aspects of nutrition would qualify, whereas social issues related to nutrition would not.

Ah.  I now see that Natural Sciences are broken up into Biological and Physical.  There is another category for Social and Behavioral Sciences.