Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 10/20 - 10/26

Negin

Nothing over the weekend. I had a muscle spasm or something in my back on Saturday. Saturday was my day off anyway and I took Sunday off to and just tried to stretch my back as much as possible.

This morning was Denise Austen yoga. Felt so lovely for my back.

Negin, I miss the Crunch workouts. I used to be able to get them on Netflix instant but not any more.

Mark Laham: Power Yoga - Core Strengthening

Negin, I miss the Crunch workouts. I used to be able to get them on Netflix instant but not any more.

That's annoying. Hope they bring them back or something. 

Yin yoga 

My favorite type of yoga. :) Mark Laham has a fabulous Yin DVD. Which one do you do? I'm sure that I've asked you before. 

Tuesday: 3.2 miles in 29 minutes...trying to get my 5k time down....looking to do a 7.5 minute mile. Last one I did was 8.5 min. I also did circuit/ strength training ( focus arms and back) last night....

200 jacks

160 mountain climbers

120 reg. squats

80 Pliet squats

50 burpees.

This was divided over 4 sets of arm and back weight lifts...using dumbells which included standing presses, rows, kickbacks, tricep dips etc....equaling 800 moves....200 each set.

Burned 450 calories in under an hour...which is great for me because I a little....my friend is a bit taller and heavier burnt 750!!

Yesterday was Denise Austen Shrink Your Female Fat Zones. Negin, I know this is a favorite for you as well. In the afternoon I did Jillian Michaels kickboxing on youtube. I love to do that one to get in a quick cardio fix in the afternoons. Simple moves and easy to get through.

This morning I did JM Killer Buns and Thighs. Still not trusting myself to move to level 2. :lol:  Soon though. Soon.

I don't know if I've shared smoothie recipes here before. I have to share my current favorite breakfast smoothie. It is so good and so filling. I tweak it according to what I have. I don't usually have prunes on hand so I mostly skip the prunes part. I alternate between an apple or a pear depending on which I have. Sometimes I use peanut butter and sometimes almond butter or sunbutter. You get the picture. Anyway, it's yummy. Thought I'd share.

0639e0c8f09a67926776ae7263bdc05c.jpg

Love this ^^  I think of that all the time - when I was in high school, etc, I didn't ever consider myself skinny or thin or anything less than the larger side of average.  Now, it would be nice to go back and tell myself that I was all those things!!

I swam a little Monday night.  I only did like, 6 laps - kind of pathetic :lol: but it's a whole new muscle set that I haven't used like that in years!  I did it to break up the treadmill monotony - I LOVE running, it's my favorite way to exercise, and I want to keep doing it, but that treadmill is killing me.  :(

Faithe, I'm always impressed with your workouts. I can't get a mile in 7.5 but I'd love to meet that goal with you. Of course, I need a watch to time myself first. Don't have a watch. Or phone.

Gotta have goals! :-). 7.5 is a big one! I figure it is only a minute....hahahaha, but as a swim mom I know a minute is a loooooonnnngggg time on a race clock.

My workouts are really fun or else I wouldn't do them. It helps that I have a workout buddy that I met at the gym with similar physical goals. She is stronger than me, so it gives me simething to strive for. I work well with clear goals and a little friendly competition. Now, if I could just roll all that into homeschooling.....

I've exercised 3 times this week which is a big accomplishment for me. After seeing my mom's health decline the last few years, I realize I need to do something about my own. She has dealt with high blood pressure and diabetes for years and is suffering because of them. I may not be able to prevent them entirely, but if I lose weight and exercise, at least it will be purely genetics and not my own fault.  

Believe it or not, the controversial fitness mom with the 3 boys helped me. She said that she exercises in the morning before the kids are up. I realized that if I would do it then, it might get done. My dh is getting up around 5 each morning because he's driving 100 miles to work. He's a school teacher who was laid off, and it's the only job he could find.  I am getting up about 5:30 to make his breakfast and pack his lunch and exercising after he leaves. 

I'm in perimenopause and weigh the most I've ever weighed not pregnant. My sister and I started our periods the same year, and she is going through the same stuff, irregular periods and weight gain.I would love to lose 35 pounds and keep it off. 

I found a beginner workout on Youtube that I really like, and it feels as if it's really working everything. I do a warm up video he has and some of a cool down video, too. 

Rebounding for longer than usual and lots of stretching. Wanted to do a Pilates DVD also, but no time. 

Yesterday was Denise Austen Shrink Your Female Fat Zones. Negin, I know this is a favorite for you as well.

I don't know if I've shared smoothie recipes here before. I have to share my current favorite breakfast smoothie

Yes, I love that Denise Austin one and think of you whenever I do it. :) I love most of her DVDs. 

Will look into that smoothie recipe. Thanks for sharing. 

Hey, I recognize the setting for that Mark Laham yoga video! It's the Aviation Museum in Ottawa, ON. He's a yoga instructor in Ottawa, it seems.

I had no idea. He's my favorite of all the yoga instructors. :)

Oh, I forgot. I'm reading JM's latest book Slim for Life and writing down little tid bits.

One thing I found very interesting is that a few studies have shown that people who do regular yoga (at least once a week) eat fewer calories overall than people who do not do yoga. When they looked at people who did other forms of exercise (walking, running) but no yoga they did not have the same results in fewer calories consumption. They think that the self awareness one gets from yoga makes one more aware of other aspects in life including what kids of food and how much food one consumes.

Pretty cool. So make sure to get your yoga in!

Another neat little fact: warm colors make you eat more whereas cool colors make you eat less. This is why fast food places are red, yellow, and orange because the food industry knows these colors will induce more eating. So, Jillian says to use cool colors in the kitchen and dining areas of your house. Use blue/green/purple dishes and cups, table cloths, place mats, and food containers for on the go. She said you can even go crazy and paint your kitchen a cool color. :lol:  Don't paint the kitchen or dining area warm colors.

Exercise myth: exercise increases appetite. She says according to studies exercise increases appetite suppressing hormones for longer. I know this to be true because when I'm done working out I am so not hungry. She says to use this to your advantage, and when you want to snack on something but don't want to go over your calorie allowance (if your trying to lose or maintain weight) then instead of eating go for a 15 minute walk. By the time your done you probably won't be hungry anymore.