Menu

Are you supposed to tip movers?

kbpaulie

We're moving 4 houses down.  Estimate is about 5 hours of work.  Mostly just the bigger things. No packing, assembling or disassembling.  Have read in some spots you're supposed to tip?  Really?  Already paying $110/hr plus $80 just to show up.  If so how much tip? 

We have always tipped movers as well as provided drinks, snacks and even dinner if the day went longer than expected.  I usually have several hundred for tip, but decide at the end of the day exactly how much depending on my furniture and how they worked. I have done as little as $50 per guy, up to over a hundred per guy.  When we move, I add that tip to my budget so they get it.  And if friends help us move I do gift cards to local places.  

Paying 2 men and a truck was the BEST thing we did with moving. We had packed and moved the little stuff as we were only going 2 1/2 miles down the road but they did the big stuff---furniture including the piano. Our new house has an upstairs and a finished basement and the old house was a bilevel so they dealt with LOTS of steps.

We did tip them.....I think about $10-15/hour of their time. They worked hard and did a great job and saved my dh's back and my sanity.

We provide drinks and lunch, although if the timing of a move was 8-1 or something I might just do snacks. We also tip at the end and pay them in cash (and get a receipt)  if they're small and local. The foreman appreciates this so he can just pay the crew out the same day and not have to worry about distributing funds after the check clears. If it's a more corporate and everyone is actually an employee of the company I don't worry about paying in cash, though.