Menu

Renaissance festival in the rain?

Garga

Anyone ever gone to a ren fest in the rain? We want to go this weekend but it's raining. The entire grounds are outside in the dirt--no paved roads at all, not even the parking lot which is just a huuuuge field.

Do they close down all the acts? I'd imagine juggling a rain-slicked bowling ball would be dangerous, or the horses would slip in the mud during the joust. The website says rain or shine, but what does that really mean?

It would be the Maryland festival.

Doesn't sound like fun to me either.

We've been at our Ren Fest before when it started raining. Many of the acts were postponed as a result. If it's already raining before you even go, I'd skip it.

ETA: they do stay open "rain or shine", because the vendor booths don't close down, and some acts can still go on in the rain. Our Ren Fest is all dirt roads too - terribly muddy when it rains.

This is the next to last weekend. The last weekend (next week) will be Packed. The last weekend is usually too packed. So, it's either rain and ponchos and normal lines, or it's possibly better weather and standing in line forever for food and having to get to each act extra early to get seating. I'm trying to figure out what's worse.

The rain could be fun if we all have good attitudes and turn it into an adventure. Or we can forego the rain and stand in lines with wiggly kids.

Ugh. Rain, rain, go away!

Guest inoubliable

We went to the one in Spotsylvania VA in the rain. Nothing changed except for the jousting bit - they didn't have the horses do the entire bit in the sloppy fields. Instead the horses did some games. 

Wear boots.

:)

We were just debating going on Sunday, in the mud.  We'll obviously wear boots.  I suspect it will be a mud pit though.

I would not want to go on Sat, with this weather.  I think they will cancel some of the acts, and it won't be as much fun.

If you go on Sunday, wave at us!  We may be there, too!

We went in a light rain last year -- no crowds, it was great. We did leave a bit early, though, because it looked like a serious storm was moving in (we saw hail as we were leaving). It was a risk -- no refunds for weather -- but I would chance it again and just be sure to dress warmer, bring umbrellas.