Menu

Need help from TMJ sufferers :(

Alicia64

I'll make it quick. I had TMJ as a kid. I think braces fixed it. Thirty years later and my jaw starts popping over the summer on my right side. I wear a night guard religiously and have for years.

The dentist said my night guard looks fine -- even though it hasn't been replaced in six years -- and sends me to an oral surgeon. The oral surgeon is as nice and competent seeming as can be, but clearly doesn't want to throw surgery at me immediately.

He recommends three weeks of taking an anti inflammatory like Ibuprofen at 2400 mg. plus a 5mg Valium right before bed to help mellow me out. Am loving the Valium I have to be honest. :)

But it's been ten days now of this regime and the popping continues. Nothing has changed. I go back and see him next week.

I was wondering if you or someone you know has dealt w/ this and found a way to make it go away.

I'm really sick of this!!

Thanks,

Alley

I suffer fromTMJ issues. They wanted me to do a 24/7 mouth guard for 6 months and then braces for 2 years. Um. No. Just no. So I began researching self care....

Do you have good habits? How do you sleep? Do you rest your chin in your hand? Do you 'set your jaw' during the day?

A massage from someone trained in TMJ care would be first on my list.

Have you tried a soft diet along with everything else?  That may help.  DO NOT chew gum or hard sticky things like gummy bears, EVER. 

Your bite guard should last for years and years.  I had mine for almost 20 years until we dog sat for a friend and the dog chewed it up. :glare:

Instead of going to a surgeon, maybe your dentist can recommend someone who specializes in TMJ.  You might need your bite adjusted.

I would try a message like Scarlett suggested. 

HTH! Good luck.

Have you tried a soft diet along with everything else? That may help. DO NOT chew gum or hard sticky things like gummy bears, EVER.

Your bite guard should last for years and years. I had mine for almost 20 years until we dog sat for a friend and the dog chewed it up. :glare:

Instead of going to a surgeon, maybe your dentist can recommend someone who specializes in TMJ. You might need your bite adjusted.

I would try a message like Scarlett suggested.

HTH! Good luck.

Oh good point about the diet. There are still times I can't eat steak.

OP, Are you a night grinder? I am not. When I am at my worst I wear a guard during the day.

Hi Everyone!

I don't know how to multi quote!

My dentist actually referred me to the oral surgeon who doesn't seem surgery-happy -- he doesn't seem to want to do surgery or even seem to think that I need it.

Re: what I chew. He told me to stay away from gum and I have. Honestly I'd been chewing a lot as a treat vs. a fattening dessert. I often wondered if all that gum caused the problem in the first place. I've been off gum for ten days now.

Scarlett: how do I find a massage therapist who does TMJ massage? Sounds awesome!

Thanks everyone!

Alley

Hi Everyone!

I don't know how to multi quote!

My dentist actually referred me to the oral surgeon who doesn't seem surgery-happy -- he doesn't seem to want to do surgery or even seem to think that I need it.

Re: what I chew. He told me to stay away from gum and I have. Honestly I'd been chewing a lot as a treat vs. a fattening dessert. I often wondered if all that gum caused the problem in the first place. I've been off gum for ten days now.

Scarlett: how do I find a massage therapist who does TMJ massage? Sounds awesome!

Thanks everyone!

Alley

Oh no.  Gum.  It is a curse for anyone with TMJ issues.  I haven't chewed it for over 10 years.  Don't ever chew it again. 

A PP gave the actual massage technique...which I can never remember.  Just call up a massage therapist and ask if they are trained in TMJ massage.  I will warn you it is a little freaky feeling...the therapist puts gloves on and puts their finger inside your mouth and massages the TMJ muscle/joint whatever.  It feels weird, but it does work.  Plus, in me at least, TMJ pain/stress/inflamation begins is caused by a chain reaction involving neck, back etc, so you will benefit from an all over massage along with the TMJ massage. 

Another person mentioned the chiropractor...that will help too. Heat feels good, but ice seems to be effective as it reduces the swelling that can sometimes cause pain.  If you are popping though, something is probably out of line and maybe you should start with the chiropractor.  And not chew gum anymore.

Oh no.  Gum.  It is a curse for anyone with TMJ issues.  I haven't chewed it for over 10 years.  Don't ever chew it again. 

A PP gave the actual massage technique...which I can never remember.  Just call up a massage therapist and ask if they are trained in TMJ massage.  I will warn you it is a little freaky feeling...the therapist puts gloves on and puts their finger inside your mouth and massages the TMJ muscle/joint whatever.  It feels weird, but it does work.  Plus, in me at least, TMJ pain/stress/inflamation begins is caused by a chain reaction involving neck, back etc, so you will benefit from an all over massage along with the TMJ massage. 

Another person mentioned the chiropractor...that will help too. Heat feels good, but ice seems to be effective as it reduces the swelling that can sometimes cause pain.  If you are popping though, something is probably out of line and maybe you should start with the chiropractor.  And not chew gum anymore.

I mentioned Chiropractor, but this is actually what he did.  It may have been more pressure than massage, but whatever it worked with only one treatment.   Seriously, it had plagued me for over 20 years at that point.  Gum chewing is what started it BTW.

If you wear a night guard every night then it should be replaced every 2-3 years. I would absolutely try replacing it. Give it time. You will need to adjust to a new night guard. The last one I got was very, very uncomfortable for at least 3 weeks but it made a huge difference (improvement) once I got used to wearing it. I have been wearing a night guard every night for twenty years.

I am wondering why you wear the nightguard? 

I grind my teeth really badly at night. Dentists throughout my adult life have said, "Your teeth are going to disappear if you don't wear a night guard." So I'm really good about it.

My son who looks/acts/freaks out just like me grinds too.

I'm beginning to see that it was the gum. I've been chewing it like crazy for months whenever I want something sweet. It never dawned on me that that could cause TMJ. Wow. Wish I'd known.

Alley

I grind my teeth really badly at night. Dentists throughout my adult life have said, "Your teeth are going to disappear if you don't wear a night guard." So I'm really good about it.

My son who looks/acts/freaks out just like me grinds too.

I'm beginning to see that it was the gum. I've been chewing it like crazy for months whenever I want something sweet. It never dawned on me that that could cause TMJ. Wow. Wish I'd known.

Alley

Ok, well, if you are a night grinder you need the guard.

I think the good news is that it probably IS the gum that caused this latest issue.  You jaw needs rest and probably a good massage. 

Several years ago I was in tears from my TMJ pain. My oral surgeon presribed ibuprofen, Skelaxin (awesome muscle relaxant without the side effects), a simple mouth exercise, and a heated wet washcloth (as hot as I could stand- I used a microwave). I did the first three for several weeks without improvement and when I returned to the Dr. for followup, he scolded me for not doing the heat treatment as well. After just a few days of adding in the heat treatment, the pain finally started to subside. It finally disappeared completely - ahhhh. I was finally able to open my mouth far enough to eat a sandwhich or salad again as well :-)

The mouth exercise involved opening my mouth as far as I could and then stretching the tip of my tongue up towards the back of my mouth as far as I could. I did this often throughout the day. The heat was truly the key for me though.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. I have to start therapy again for the other side of my jaw now - it hurts :-(.

Will your health insurance cover a dental device?

Do you mean a night guard? I wear one now that the dentists seem to think is fine. I've had it for over six years though so maybe it needs to be replaced. . .?

Part of my insurance covers a new night guard. I think I'd end up paying $200 -- totally worth it if it would help.

Scarlett -- it turns out that the physical therapist that I'm seeing for my lower back problems totally knows what facial massage for TMJ is. She said she'd do it as long as I got the okay from my oral surgeon. So it looks like that may be a go. Thanks for telling me about it.

I'm totally off gum and trying to do soft food. Although I'm a regular almond eater (for health) and realized today that I probably need to lay off the almonds too.

MommyOwl -- Thank you for the idea about a heat compress. I'm on it! I'll try anything. I'm just hoping I don't have to do surgery. I can actually open my mouth, but boy does it ever click at certain points when I close it. You can hear the click across the room!

Thanks everyone -- you've just been phenomenal!

Alley

• 9 years later...

Hi, I have had jaw problems for over 40 yrs as had a fall in my 20s. I thought it would get better on its own and got on with life. Wrong. Teeth overcrowded and crossbite not to mention dental problems. Went to cranial osteopathy, chiropractor , acupuncture, myofacial. Its now like the accident has just happened and everything is moving around but 2/3 yrs later still not right. I am suffering with acute anxiety and at a loss what to do next.