Menu

recovery from removal of breast nodule?

AngieW in Texas

I am having a breast nodule removed on Friday and was curious about what the recovery is like.

I know that it is about the size of a Skittle and and what will actually be removed is about the size of a peanut M&M.

I have already had a needle biopsy and they did not find it to be cancerous. At first they said to just come back in 6 months so they could monitor it, but about one week later they recommended to my doctor that I go ahead and have it removed because the cells were abnormal and could become cancerous.

I know that I will not be able to lift anything greater than 10 pounds for 2 weeks with my left arm and will not be able to lift anything greater than 10 pounds with my right arm for 6 weeks. The nodule is on my right side.

From what I understand, it is being billed as a surgical biopsy because it is not cancerous at this time and it is small. At least I think those are the reasons.

This has been a long process. I got called back for a 2nd mammogram with an ultrasound and then had to go back a 3rd time for the needle biopsy and now I'm going back a 4th time to get the nodule removed.

I'm really just looking for personal experiences about what the pain level and recovery time are like.

I had no pain at all for the needle biopsy. I know there will be pain from this, but I don't know how long is typical for needing prescription pain medicine. The doctor said anywhere from 1 day to two weeks, which wasn't super helpful. She did say that most people are off of the pain meds by the 3rd day. I don't tolerate prescription pain meds very well and would like to switch to Advil as soon as possible afterwards.

Tiny small incision. In and out of the hospital in a couple of hours. I would not think the average person would need narcotics for this after the first day or two, and certainly, if you can get by without them all the better! Ice pack on the area can also help pain/swelling. I think the worst part is the anticipation of the whole process. Best of luck to you while you go through this!

(RN in recovery room/cancer hospital in US)

I've had this done (plus other breast surgeries/biopsies). Smudge is right- it's not as bad as the anticipation. I ask for no narcotics straight out of surgery, because they make me sick, and the pain wasnt' intolerable. Just ask for extra strength Tylenol. Really, if you've had kids, the pain will be nothing. You could try the Tylenol/Advil, but still fill the narcotic prescription just in case you'd want it when you got home. I never ended up using the heavy stuff. 

Depending on the size of your "books," the pain will be variable. You won't be immobilized or anything like that, but you will want to take it easy. Ice does help. It will be uncomfortable to move your arm on that side, but it's good to start doing slow movements and stretching as the doctor allows. Don't overdo it for the first few days, even if you feel great. You need to give your body time to recover from the drugs and the cutting. But, after that, let the discomfort be your guide. You shouldn't be laid up too long, but remember to be gentle to yourself. 

Hope it goes well with you!

ETA: This is a very stressful process you're in. Let yourself recover from that, too. I'm glad it's not cancerous. You'll be glad to get it out of your body. 

I had one removed about ten years ago. At the time, I'd never had any surgeries, never been in the hospital, and hadn't had kids yet....I was so terrified. Turns out, it wasn't bad at all. I was actually awake during the surgery. Since the nodule was near the surface, they gave me local anesthesia instead of general. Afterwards, I had some lifting restrictions, as you did, but I only used a few ibuprofen for pain control. I was out jogging again the next week.

I had a large (around 8 cm.) benign breast lump removed several years ago.

It was absolutely no big deal at all, but do keep in mind that people are different. I tend to have a very high tolerance.

I was in and out of the hospital in about three hours.  Felt totally normal when I got home.  Any pain/discomfort I had was so very minimal I hesitate to even mention it.  I certainly never even thought about taking anything for it.  I may have used an ice pack once that night before bed just because the nurse suggested it, but I really can't remember.

Only post-op instructions were to were a bra 24/7 for a couple of weeks.  No restrictions on lifting.

Good luck.  I know it's scary, especially if you've never had surgery before.  But it really is nothing.

I had one removed in the spring of 1985. It was maybe the size of a ping pong ball (maybe a touch smaller). I was in a weight lifting class and couldn't do any arm work for 2-3 weeks. I don't recall a ton of pain. I had a scar that was about an inch long. Sometimes it itched slightly.

As for pain meds, ask if you can skip the Vicodin or whatever narcotic they may want to give you, and take two extra-strength Tylenol and two regular strength (I think each pill is 200mg) ibuprofen instead, every 4-6 hours. My surgical dentist recommends that combo when narcotics aren't well-tolerated and it works like a charm for me.

Sorry this is so stressful -- Many hugs.

I had a larger lumpectomy about 10 years ago.  I was only about an A cup at that time and the lump was large enough they had me wrap my breasts afterwards (white elastic bandage - similar to what they do if you have an enhancement) for the first few days.  My scar runs about 3/4 the circumference of the areola on my left side.  I had general anesthesia but I actually ended up driving about two hours after my surgery because my friend who was supposed to drive me wasn't as good with a clutch as she said she was.  The jerkiness of her switching gears was very uncomfortable.  I didn't take anything but ibuprofen, was back at work in a few days.  The worst problem was trying to find a comfortable position to sleep since I was a stomach sleeper at that point.  Ice definitely helped for the first day or two.

My nodule isn't actually palpable. It can be found only with imaging. For the core needle biopsy, the doctor had to use ultrasound to guide him to the right spot. He put a marker on it so it will be easy for them to mark it with a wire that morning and that's what the doctor will use to do the actual removal.

My chest size is enormous. I am actually planning to go through reduction surgery next summer. I have been wanting to do it for years, but have avoided it because it is a major surgery. I hope to go down at least 5 cup sizes with surgery. That will get me into a bra size that most stores carry.

I also know that the nodule is relatively near to the surface, so I'm hoping that will also help to make it easier.

I'm really hoping to avoid narcotic pain meds entirely, although I will go ahead and fill the prescription for them. I just don't react well to them. They tend to make me really really really loopy and that effect lasts a lot longer than the actual pain reduction does for me.  I have no problems with local numbing agents like the lidocaine they used for the biopsy.

My nodule isn't actually palpable. It can be found only with imaging. For the core needle biopsy, the doctor had to use ultrasound to guide him to the right spot. He put a marker on it so it will be easy for them to mark it with a wire that morning and that's what the doctor will use to do the actual removal.

My chest size is enormous. I am actually planning to go through reduction surgery next summer. I have been wanting to do it for years, but have avoided it because it is a major surgery. I hope to go down at least 5 cup sizes with surgery. That will get me into a bra size that most stores carry.

I also know that the nodule is relatively near to the surface, so I'm hoping that will also help to make it easier.

I'm really hoping to avoid narcotic pain meds entirely, although I will go ahead and fill the prescription for them. I just don't react well to them. They tend to make me really really really loopy and that effect lasts a lot longer than the actual pain reduction does for me.  I have no problems with local numbing agents like the lidocaine they used for the biopsy.

Putting the wire in that morning is a bit unnerving...or was for me. I've had a couple of lumpectomies that were surprisingly easy (one with a wire guide)--I took it easy for a day or so and went skiing six days later with my surgeon's blessing after the first surgery.

Get plenty of rest, eat smart, and keep smiling! 

The surgery went really well. I was able to get a friend of a friend who is very comfortable with hospitals and surgeries to go with me and she was perfect. She actually knew Isaac Asimov and Arthur C Clarke and Ray Bradbury becuase she had worked in teh publishing industry. She was fascinating to talk with. She said she would be happy to be my surgery buddy when I get my breast reduction done next summer.

I was up and walking around an hour after the surgery was over. I am taking tylenol just to make sure I stay on top of any pain I might have, but I haven't had any yet and the numbing agents should have worn off about two hours ago.

The only issue I'm having is that my left eye feels really dry. I put some "real tears" stuff in it two hours ago and will do some more soon.  I wonder if I had that eye open during the surgery. It isn't bloodshot, but it is dry.

It's been over 24 hours now and still no pain as long as I don't lean forward too far and I don't try to lie flat. I slept last night propped up at about 45 degrees and don't seem to be able to go any lower than about 30 degrees. I'm going to be sleeping on the sofa for the next several nights because it's a lot easier to prop myself up there.

I'm continuing with Tylenol every 4 hours to keep inflammation down. I haven't seen any signs of inflammation and I want to keep it that way.