Menu

Would doing BJU or Abeka literature for 11th grade be enough??...

I am wondering if BJU or Abeka would be enough for 11th grade.  This is for my daughter who will be going to a community college for an accociates in commercial music.  She "may" go on to get a 4 year degree later, but has no interest in that at this time. She is teaching vocal and guitar lessons right now, and wants to open her own vocal studio in the future.  I don't want to overload her if it truly isn't necessary.  Help:)  We are planning on using either BJU or Abeka English for sure, if that makes a difference.

I've known several families who used Abeka only all the way through high school whose kids are engineers, doctors and whatever else they wanted to be. I think either BJU or Abeka provide a perfectly acceptable level of high school english. We don't enjoy their English because we prefer reading whole books instead of excerpts. I think that is the reason most people here don't recommend them. I don't think it really impacts their completeness or college-prep level.

You might also consider Learning Language Arts Through Literature. I haven't used it, but its reputation is that of being a somewhat light but reasonable coverage of Language Arts in a single workbook/year form.

Short answer.....yes.  BJU English is excellent IMHO.  Dd used the 12th grade English in 11th and did very well on the language arts portion of the SAT.  It covers a lot of ground.  I've not used BJU or Abeka lit because of the way we have chosen to integrate history and lit.  However, from what I've seen of both programs, they are thorough. 

Sure; I don't see why not!

FWIW, I prefer BJU to Abeka, but that's just a personal preference. I'm sure either one would be just fine for your dd. I know that many private schools use them, and their students go on to colleges and universities with no problem at all.

If you choose BJU, I recommend the DVD classes, because the teachers are quite thorough and teach the material very well.

BJU is an excellent curriculum. The literature curriculum at the high school level is not simply reading. If done according to the way it is written in the teachers manuals it will provide a very thorough literature course. I have not used the DVD classes but have heard they are good.

I would prefer BJU to Abeka. I find BJU has more interesting choices and the manuals are more informative for you to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought:  

BJU 10th grade does a great job of covering the elements.  11th and 12th are historical in nature.  If you haven't covered the tropes (allegory, apostrophe, irony, metonymy vs. synecdoche, etc) and the schemes, I would choose the 10th grade lit text  for junior year and ONE text from 11/12 (American/British) for senior year.  

BJU series:  7/8 - themes in literature

9/10 - elements of literature

11/12 - literature in a historical setting

The 10th grade text is my favorite.  For American/British, I prefer whole books.  

Peace,

Janice