Menu

Exercise Gurus, could you step in for a sec?

extendedforecast

For the last year or two, I've noticed that I've been getting bigger, despite eating the same or healthier. I tend to exercise on and off in spurts, but now I'm at the point where I want to just get strong and healthy. Yes, my size does matter to me, but being healthy at a bigger size is more important than being an ideal size and not healthy. That said, I am barely fitting into my clothes, and I do not want to have to go out and buy a new wardrobe, so I need to lose a couple of inches at the very least. With a birthday coming up soon, I decided to set a 30 day goal to at least fit comfortably into my jeans, to gain some muscle (though I don't know how I would measure) and to give up sugar completely. I am well into the sugar goal; I just sometimes have a hard time saying no to treats when offered.

So, what would you recommend I do to meet my goals? I have a treadmill and stationary bike, as well as a weight bench and a few hand weights. We also have a pool, though it's difficult to swim laps, and it's getting colder. I don't want to do anything drastic (read: unrealistic) with my diet. I try to avoid processed foods, but we do eat out at least twice a week. I don't plan to change that, as I need the break from cooking, and DH is too busy with work to be expected to cook. He did cook all our meals for years before his work got chaotic, so it's not about him not contributing. Pleeeaaase help me!

80% of body composition is diet.

No sugar is a great start, what is the rest of your diet like?

Weight training tends to be both better for you and help you lose weight quicker than cardio, in that respect, but you can't do it every day. I usually suggest every other day = weight lifting (or bodyweight), in between days a little cardio but mostly focusing on recovering muscles.

In a typical day, I'll eat leftovers for breakfast or eggs. For lunch I'll either snack on fruit, cheese and nuts, or have soup. Sometimes, like once every two weeks, DH and I go out for lunch if his schedule allows, and I'll eat a chicken salad or fish with a side of veggies. Weeknight dinners are some meat (roast, turkey, chicken, fish, ground beef) with at least one vegetable side and either rice, potatoes, or rarely pasta. I make my own seasoning packets for meats and salad dressing vinaigrette. I love and eat a lot of cheese but don't drink any milk. HTH

With the equipment you have I would focus on high intensity interval training (HIIT or HIT).  HIT gives you the most bang for your buck, so to speak.  You can search online for HIIT workouts.  There are many that are for the treadmill, and others that combine cardio with weights or body weight work.  You should include either body weight workouts or learn how to use your weights. This site  has lots of different workouts.  You can find something that will work for you.  

For the record, I don't do HIT much.  I prefer easy runs and then I use kettlebell for strength (plus yoga for recovery, which I highly recommend!).  I have done HIT in the past, and I plan on adding a few HITs each week, probably starting in Nov.  But my dh and 2 of my kids have been doing Crossfit, and so have many of our friends, and there is a lot of benefit to that type of workout.  If your goal is to trim down and get fit, interval training is good.  

The most important thing is to get active and stick with it.  For weight loss you need 6 days a week, at either 45 minutes of med-hard effort or around 25 to 30 of all out hard. 

And know that it can take time.  After a certain age, our bodies want to hold onto our weight.  Don't give up.  And do watch your eating.  When I wanted to lose weight I measured everything and wrote down what I ate.  I didn't really restrict so much, it was more about becoming aware of how much I was eating. Exercise, even hard-core workouts, are only about 30% of the equation.  You have to eat well.  Lots of lean protein, high quality carbs, lots of veggies, some fruit, and cut out the sugar.  

When I started exercising, over 5 years ago, it was to get healthy.  I had a bad health scare that basically scared me straight.  Now I get edgy if I miss a day exercising.  The habit is ingrained.  I actually love working out, in fact I love lots of different types of exercise and I have a hard time choosing. You have plenty at home to work with.  Find what you enjoy, what you think you can stick with, and do it. 

Restaurant food can be surprisingly high in calories, even for foods that would be good choices if you made them at home.  
For example, breads can have additional oil, mashed potatoes can be full of butter or sour cream, etc.  

In addition, portion sizes are often twice what you'd serve at home.

If you can, look at the calories before choosing.  You can always eat half of a yummy meal and take the other half home for lunch the next day.  

If you can't look at the calories, choose something that is simply prepared (grilled salmon or chicken are often good choices), eat a salad with low-cal dressing and few high-cal items (croutons, cheese, etc.), and consider ordering additional side portions of veggies.  Look at the veggies that come with other entrees - even if they are not on the menu as possible sides, they are often an option if you ask.  As an example, if they offer a 6oz portion of salmon with a small side of veg, you can order 3 more sides, then split the meal with dh, so each of you have a 3oz portion of protein and several veggies to enjoy with it.

Protein eats fat!! If you're wanting to tone up, have a small amount of protein and a good carb at each meal, especially breakfast. Don't stress too much about taking out the bad stuff. Focus on putting the good stuff (lots of fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, etc) and you'll naturally gravitate away from all the other stuff :)

Believe it or not, using moderate amounts of things with "real" sugar & full fat will actually HELP with weight loss efforts!! Our bodies aren't designed to break down all these substitutes. Eating smaller amounts of "real" food curbs cravings :)

Exercise along with diet will increase results. Always check with your doc before starting any new exercise program. Cardio followed immediately with light weight training will blast fat away :). Walking at a brisk pace followed by old fashioned push ups is a great (cheap!!) Way to get started.

You'll be in your skinny jeans in no time :)

Good luck!!

I'd try lifting weights if I were you.  Not little "girly" weights, but heavy weights, as heavy as you go.  I don't know what kind of weights you have at home but I have various dumbbells and a barbell.  That's all I really need.  I work out at home while my kids are asleep with dvd's.  Doing it that way saves a ton of money and time going back and forth to a gym. I also run 3 times a week for an hour each time.  I really dislike cardio so I only do enough to keep my heart pumping properly.  Also, don't replace sugar with artificial sweeteners, that stuff is bad for you. 

If you start a heavy lifting program, remember that muscles always retain water in the beginning.  Your weight will likely increase just a bit in the beginning.  As you continue a program, the retention stop.  A lot of people freak out and think they are gain weight, or gaining too much muscle and stop.  Keep at it, and you'll see the changes in your body.

This is the best way I've found to lose weight.

I'd try lifting weights if I were you.  Not little "girly" weights, but heavy weights, as heavy as you go.  I don't know what kind of weights you have at home but I have various dumbbells and a barbell.  That's all I really need.  I work out at home while my kids are asleep with dvd's.  Doing it that way saves a ton of money and time going back and forth to a gym. I also run 3 times a week for an hour each time.  I really dislike cardio so I only do enough to keep my heart pumping properly.  Also, don't replace sugar with artificial sweeteners, that stuff is bad for you. 

If you start a heavy lifting program, remember that muscles always retain water in the beginning.  Your weight will likely increase just a bit in the beginning.  As you continue a program, the retention stop.  A lot of people freak out and think they are gain weight, or gaining too much muscle and stop.  Keep at it, and you'll see the changes in your body.

:iagree:

This is true, but keep in mind that if it's "fat" (flab!) you're trying to get rid of, you also have to do some cardio "before" the weight training (even if it's just 5 - 10 mins) to get your metabolism up high enough to really start burning longterm.

The general rule of thumb for most trainers (mine included) is --

if you want to "bulk up" you'd use the heavy weights

If you want lean muscle tone (aka, "look" good) you want cardio + low weight, high reps

I started trainig 18 months ago @ 225lbs!  In 6 months, I dropped 65 lbs of fat & built ALOT of muscle.  I'm a size 12 now (was a 22!), but I "look" like a 10 because of the lean muscle mass.  This is what my trainer recommended and I can attest --- it works :)

Any exercise is good!  Just depends on what your personal goals are.

Have fun training is the BEST advice :)

Last tip and I'm off to Life Science & Ghengis Khan :crying:  ---

Keep in mind, the older we get, the more our bodies react differently to exercise.  The one thing I had to understand when I started training was I can't look at an exercise suggestion for a 20 year old --- I'm FORTY!!  As we age, our metabolism changes.  You have to get the metabolism pumping before any longterm "physical" changes will be evident.

Secondly, I spent my ENTIRE life trying to do it the "easy" way --- fad diets, crash diets, and even eating disorders!  When you're at the point in your life when you look at yourself and truly want "change," not just a quick fix, it'll take time.  Don't do too much too fast.  Alter your diet small ways at a time ---

Increase water intake is MOST important!

Increase "raw" food

After those 2 things become 2nd nature, you'll notice your body will naturally crave "good" stuff :)

Begin your exercise routines SLOW and STEADY!!!!!!!  If you try to "blast off" it most likely won't last unless you have ALOT of determination! 

Have fun! 

Get your family involved! 

And ENJOY the new lifestyle :)

I have trained with heavy weights for years, I mean really heavy weights, and I have yet to bulk up.  I think the concept that women "bulk up" from heavy weights is a myth.  I lift heavy weights 3 times a week, and I have no trouble controlling my weight.  I eat well over 2500 calories a day, I'm a size 6, 5'8" tall, and am NOT bulky, but I am toned.  My arms don't jiggle and neither do my thighs. :hurray:

In my experience heavy weight is the best way to tone and shape your body, and control your weight.

But that's just my experience.

That's AWESOME!!   The TRUE indicator of if you need to "lose weight" is if anything jiggles :lol: !!  I'm not there yet!  Still have about 10 pounds to go!

Every "body" is different!  I'm only 5'3" and have BY FAR a "small" frame!  For me to "look" good, I have to deplete just about EVERY excess fat store!!  The best way my trainer & I figured out how to do it was cardio + low weights, high reps.  He changes my workout up from time to time.  We've done the just weight training without the cardio a few times.  It showed results, but for my body comp, I've got to do the cardio first.

We just all have to figure out what works best for us :)

I recently lost about 35 lbs and need to lose another 10. For me I ate high protein, low carb but what really made the difference is when I started working out. That is really when I saw the changes to my body, my shape and the way my clothes fit.  For me, I started with 10 Minute Trainer and then moved on to FocusT25 ( which are both Beachbody programs) .  I like that I can workout at home, in my living room and it is quick, less than 30 minutes each day.  Lifting weights is vital and no, you won't bulk up.  Weights help you build long, lean muscles,which in turn help you burn calories and lose weight. Let me know if you have any questions, I would love to help!!

This is true, but keep in mind that if it's "fat" (flab!) you're trying to get rid of, you also have to do some cardio "before" the weight training (even if it's just 5 - 10 mins) to get your metabolism up high enough to really start burning longterm.

If you want lean muscle tone (aka, "look" good) you want cardio + low weight, high reps

Can you tell me more about what this looks like?  How many minutes/intensity of cardio?  How do you know how many reps/what weights to use?

Every day or every other day?

I've lost 35 pounds since February and would like to lose another 5 - 10, but also tone my arms, thighs, and stomach.

Thanks!

Can you tell me more about what this looks like? How many minutes/intensity of cardio? How do you know how many reps/what weights to use?

I've lost 35 pounds since February and would like to lose another 5 - 10, but also tone my arms, thighs, and stomach.

Thanks!

Just my$.02. Everybody will have a different formula for weight loss. I like running so that's what I do. I started really slowly and built up. I do body weight exercises-push ups, squats, pull ups, etc and I do yoga a couple times a week to keep things limber. I settled on a calorie limit I can live with and stick to it 6 days/week. I track with myfitnesspal. I lost about 45 pounds this way and went from a size 14 to a 2 or 3. Consistency is KEY!

Just my$.02. Everybody will have a different formula for weight loss. I like running so that's what I do. I started really slowly and built up. I do body weight exercises-push ups, squats, pull ups, etc and I do yoga a couple times a week to keep things limber. I settled on a calorie limit I can live with and stick to it 6 days/week. I track with myfitnesspal. I lost about 45 pounds this way and went from a size 14 to a 2 or 3. Consistency is KEY!

I really like this, that everyone has a different formula, both in the physical activities they choose and the foods they choose to get the results they are looking for. If you enjoy doing weights, using machines and you can keep at it long enough to reach your goals, that's great. Personally, I'd be bored to tears. I've had much better luck staying active through more organized sports and outdoor activities, such as martial arts, running and recently tennis. The tennis has been amazing for overall body fitness, and it's social and lots of fun.

Find something that you enjoy doing and that you will keep doing, that's going to get you moving with enough intensity to break into a sweat now and then, and you'll fit into your clothes again soon. All the best!

Find something that you enjoy doing and that you will keep doing, that's going to get you moving with enough intensity to break into a sweat now and then, and you'll fit into your clothes again soon. All the best!

:iagree:  x1000

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on your success! 

Yes, this is what I keep reading - lower weights and higher reps. 

I often visit the Video Fitness forums and they're super-helpful. Here's what was recommended for lengthening/slimming & toning muscles. I have lots of recommendations for all sorts of problem areas - back fat, arms, you name it. The older I get, the harder it gets. The whole thing really blows. I'm convinced that by the time I'm in my 60s, I'll have to limit myself to 3 jars of baby food a day. I'm 45 and it's much harder than it was in my 30s. Until then, I could eat what I want and exercise a lot. Can't get away with that anymore. 

If you use weights, the focus should be on using relatively light ones with more reps.

Barre Workouts

Callanetics

Ellen Barrett DVDs – Ellen’s focus is always on lengthening and toning.

Karen Voight's Total Body Training

Pilates

Slim in 6 is said to tighten and tone without the bulk

Yoga

Can you tell me more about what this looks like?  How many minutes/intensity of cardio?  How do you know how many reps/what weights to use?

Thanks!

Congrats to you also! 

To me, Ellen Barrett DVDs are the best example of cardio as well as light weights with more reps. I love her workouts. She's all about slimming without the bulk. 

Total Fitness DVDs is a great site with video clips, excellent prices, and shipping rates. Use their coupon code: 10off for an extra discount. 

Here's an update for you all in case anyone was wondering. I decided to start the 30 day Shred and am on day 10. I don't do it everyday though; I noticed that my knee starts to really bother me every three or four days during and after 30DS, so I have been taking a day or two break whenever my knee starts bugging me. I've also started walking more. One of the things I stopped during the summer was walking to the bus stop to get my DD from school. Some days I leave early and walk around the neighborhood for a bit before the bus comes. As far as food is concerned, I am eating a little better than before, mostly smaller portion sizes and making sure I'm still hungry before getting seconds. I also am choosing to eat more vegetables and fruits and less carbs, but boy is it hard to pass up pasta when the kids are eating it. I have lost about three and a half pounds since starting.

I thank you all for sharing your advice. I still plan to implement a lot more of your advice, but in order for me to be successful, I have to make one or two small changes at a time. Please share if you have any more advice- I'm  :bigear: .

I decided to start the 30 day Shred and am on day 10. I don't do it everyday though; I noticed that my knee starts to really bother me every three or four days during and after 30DS, so I have been taking a day or two break whenever my knee starts bugging me. 

Great job on your efforts and your weight loss. :)

I also had a knee (and ankle) problem with 30 Day Shred. Someone on another forum said that she bounces on a trampoline during the cardio parts. Just a suggestion for you or anyone who may have knee problems.