Menu

Recs: dd wants to learn to read music.

You might just find her some music she wants to play and let her go at it, being handy to answer her questions if she asks.  My dd took lessons for a year (and I tried to teach her for quite a while before that) and still couldn't read music properly.  We totally dropped, and just recently she decided she wanted it.  She sits down now and pecks away at stuff she wants to play (Christmas music actually, lol) and she's finally actually learning to sight read.  

My kids started with recorder, nine note recorder method book. 

Both keyboard and guitar are chord instruments, which means they play more than one note at a time, so the music is more complicated to read.  If you are going to go ahead and use one of those, I would recommend keyboard..  Guitar music is often just written as chord names or TAB, so learning to play it by reading notes isn't as common.  My DD is a note-reading classical guitarist, so it can be done. Just, the guitar community in general (pop/rock/folk music) isn't as standard-clef oriented.

--Janet

Why does she want to learn?  Is it to play a specific instrument?  To sing?  To compose?

This site is mostly free:

http://www.musictheory.net/lessons

http://www.musictheory.net/exercises

However my kids just learned to read music in the process of learning to play instruments.  I told them a couple things to get them started and they figured out the rest (with the occasional question). 

• 1 month later...