Menu

Notarized transcript?

Blue Hen

DS received an email from JSU stating that his transcript must be notarized in order to make it official. Have you run into this request from colleges? I haven't and DS already been accepted at 2 other colleges and his older brother was accepted to 9 colleges. Guess there is a first for everything. 

I visited my bank and they happily notarized the transcript and it's been sent.

Carole

No one has asked me yet.  Ds has applied to 3 colleges so far.  Margaret in CO had an amusing post (#22) in this thread with several posts discussing it in further detail.

Another idea to add, I sign my children's transcripts because several colleges have asked for that. And then, I "crunch" over the signature with our corporate seal. It looks quite official and I've had several college comment on how it looks more official that way. Quite silly, but they liked it.

No one has asked me yet.  Ds has applied to 3 colleges so far.  Margaret in CO had an amusing post (#22) in this thread with several posts discussing it in further detail.

LOL! I made several posts in that thread too. And like Margaret in CO I have an *Official* embosser with our school name and DOE school number that I put on every transcript that leaves the house. That didn't satisfy this school though. I let the admissions person know our notarized transcript was headed her way and she sent a very nice email back.

Notarizing a transcript is silly to me since all it says is that the person signing the transcript identity has been verified. It says nothing about whether the information on the transcript reflects the student's work. And for me it was a huge inconvenience. The transcript had to be mailed twice, I ended up visiting 3 banks before finding one with their notary available and in-house to stamp the paper.

Do you all still go IN your banks? I haven't been IN the bank in ages.

A year or two ago, we moved our accounts to a local bank near our grocery store. When you walk in, they acknowledge you by name, and if you go on Fridays, they give out delicious cookies.  While I hold no particular allegiance to this bank, I'd never switch back to a national or other large bank.

Funny about the notarized transcript, just because it's so ridiculous.  What on earth does it prove?

• 2 weeks later...

I think most colleges want some kind of proof that the student didn't doctor his transcript.  My oldest had to have one mailed directly from the public school, and I think there was something about the seal on the envelope?  I expect the notary is a makeshift sub for home schools, to try to insure the student didn't doctor it and send it himself from home or sign it for you.

I've had to have a ton of things notarized over the past year or two, and it's always a stretch as to whether it really means anything, but I guess I think of it as a "better than nothing" type of lame insurance that companies use because the alternatives of having you appear in person etc. don't work very well today. 

I bank online, so I go to my city offices for a notary.  They charge $1, but I guess I'd charge $1 if I had to do it, too.  (I've thought about getting a notary myself but decided I don't want to spend the time.)

Julie