Menu

What is the best used car you have purchased?

DawnM

I hate bartering... if your dh is willing let him deal with it.  

I hate bartering but dh loves it. I usually walk away and pretend I'm looking at something else while he barters. He always gets us a good deal. It works both ways for him. He got us $600 for our "barely breathing" Accord when we traded it in.

Here is the car:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4063221296.html

I just sent her an email offering 10K.

I found out about it from our local moms' group, but she also listed it on CL.

I had no idea you could still get cars with a manual transmission. I love driving them! 

I did read the rest of the thread and saw how your email exchange is going. That's a good price. If your dh can get her down a bit lower, it would be better, but you wouldn't do bad to get it for 11,500.

I hate bartering but dh loves it. I usually walk away and pretend I'm looking at something else while he barters. He always gets us a good deal. It works both ways for him. He got us $600 for our "barely breathing" Accord when we traded it in.

I had no idea you could still get cars with a manual transmission. I love driving them! 

I did read the rest of the thread and saw how your email exchange is going. That's a good price. If your dh can get her down a bit lower, it would be better, but you wouldn't do bad to get it for 11,500.

They're harder to find.  We live in a major metro area and with the traffic congestion I can see why people don't opt for a stick shift.  I've only been stuck driving one a few times in rush hour and it was a major bother.  Otherwise, I enjoy driving them too.   My husband is currently in the market for a used car.  His main criteria are manual trans. and hatchback.  It hasn't been so easy to find. 

nephew got a VW van.  not only was there room for his cello - he had room for other musicians and their instruments.

(we did test drive one once - it didn't handle crosswinds very well.)

I'll bet none of the other musicians had a double bass :D .  Definitely has the cool factor, though!  Without fold-down seats it's nearly impossible, and even then it takes a particular configuration to make sure the instrument is stable enough to go around corners.  We have a 12 passenger E350 and we can haul 2 cellos, 3 violins, a bari sax, alto sax, flute, 5 bags of music supplies, and 7+ people.  The double bass, on the other hand, takes a great deal of maneuvering just to get it to fit anywhere in there.  Not really safe for the bass OR people :) . 

A Subaru wagon also looks promising.

I have also seen photos of a bass transport system that utilized a double kiddie bike trailer.  Ds really likes cycling...

The worst car (used or otherwise) I ever bought was my first.  It was a 1981 Toyota Celica Supra that had 184,000 miles on it when I bought it at auction for $750 in 1992 or so.  It was all I could afford, and at least it looked cool.  When it ran, it was fine.  It just didn't run most of the time.  And whoever had it before me smoked A LOT of weed in it.  I mean a lot.  There was so much resin on the dash instruments I could barely read the speedometer and such!  Good times.

The best car I've ever had, bar none, is the one I have now.  It's a 2007 Saab 9-3 Turbo convertible.  I got it in 2011 for a fairly good price.  It was in pristine condition when I bought it with decent miles (I don't recall exactly what, but good enough).  It still only has 65,000 miles because I work from home so don't drive as much as I used to.   I love this car.  Love it.   It drives like a dream, is incredibly comfortable,  the top is down as often as possible.  I just couldn't be more pleased with it.

I have had a stick since 1990.  Even after getting married we have always had at least one stick.

And we drove them in Los Angels from 1990-2005.

We currently have one stick and one automatic (SUV).  We still drive it in traffic.  It isn't as bad here, but it isn't the sticks either.

Dawn

They're harder to find.  We live in a major metro area and with the traffic congestion I can see why people don't opt for a stick shift.  I've only been stuck driving one a few times in rush hour and it was a major bother.  Otherwise, I enjoy driving them too.   My husband is currently in the market for a used car.  His main criteria are manual trans. and hatchback.  It hasn't been so easy to find. 

I have had a stick since 1990.  Even after getting married we have always had at least one stick.

And we drove them in Los Angels from 1990-2005.

We currently have one stick and one automatic (SUV).  We still drive it in traffic.  It isn't as bad here, but it isn't the sticks either.

Dawn

Update:

Dh and I talked.  He feels like 11K would be absolute max.

However, he wants to think about it more today and then email her back maybe tomorrow.  

We don't NEED a car right away, so we can walk away if we want to.  

I just don't want to spend hours and hours and $500 more in gas car shopping!!!!!!!!!

Dh and I have a bit of a different approach to negotiating.  He will walk away from a deal over what I consider are pennies and silly, but for him it is this game he likes to play and win or walk away.

Dawn

We've had two used Impalas that served us well.

Impalas are pretty good cars. We will probably be getting something for our 19 year old to drive soon, and an Impala is a contender. My mom has owned two (one of which my niece is now driving).

I've driven it and have no complaints other than the fact that in comparison to my Traverse, it's quite low to the ground.

They get fantastic gas mileage.

I've only been stuck driving one a few times in rush hour and it was a major bother.

Also, pulling out of driveways etc. uphill when someone pulls up behind you practically under your bumper. I can manage to drive ahead without hitting them, but it's almost fun to scare them a bit first (roll back just a little...).