Menu

Sorta Officially Back. Ish. Kinda

GWOB

I know it's late. I know I've commented on a few posts. I am officially declaring myself back on the boards.

I posted sometime in April asking for prayers/good thoughts for my dad with IPF. I spent the whole summer caring for him and my OCD/NPD/Bipolar mother. That was quite draining.

Dad died on July 9. His diagnoses included IPF, COPD, congestive heart failure, lung cancer, and possible/most likely acute lymphoma. We were proud of him going out with style. So was he.

Cajun burials include Jesus, booze, dancing, and silly antics. We did Dad proud with all of those. He would be laughing his bum off in Heaven knowing his girls celebrated his life the way we did.

I've been to and from Louisiana (900 miles one way) many times since March. School is sucktastic right now. I came back for advice.

I do not need comforting, but if you've experienced the loss of a crappy parent, I welcome your advice about dealing with this while homeschooling a teen/8th grader.

So, hi again.

Edited by Moderator
Don't start a fight right off the bat!

My Dad died 4 years ago. He was not a good parent. He was an alcoholic that was absent for a good deal of my childhood and I only saw him a few times a year as an adult. He was difficult and a royal pain in the neck most of the time but I loved him and his death hit me way harder than I ever thought possible. Be kind to yourself over the next year. I may not be the best to give advice here but that was the year we did online public school at home (K12). I had no motivation to plan anything and I was stuck in this depression/grief that took me a while to snap out of. By the end of the school year, I was able to pull it all back together and we returned to homeschooling. It was the right decision for us. If it were to happen now since my kids are older, I might try an unschooling year and take a more relaxed approach.

All I know is that you have to allow yourself time to grieve. For me, there was not only grief that my Dad was gone but that he had never been the parent I wanted him to be and there were no more chances. When my FIL died, I grieved because he was a great man and I loved him. So many more complicated emotions involved when my Dad died.