Menu

Day structure when homeschooling with a 2 year old?

mamapjama

Just curious how you schedule your day. Do you start off with some one on one time with your little one to help ease the transition for him/her as you work with your older child?

Last year I planned activities for my little one just as I did for my older one, but I'm thinking I need to improve on this a bit. I am going to try having ds1 have some computer or fiddle practise time first thing in the morning while I do some fun toddler things. Hopefully I can get him into a bit of independent play after that, or a snack, while I begin the day with ds1. Getting ds1 off the computer can sometimes be a bit of a struggle though as he understandably wants to finish a level etc.

Just curious as to how others do this.

I am homeschooling a 1st and K this year along with a 2yo and 1 yo. I have a list of activities that I plan each week for my 2yo in order to keep him busy.

As for starting the day, we usually always do "circle time" together followed by going over the calendar. This gives us all time to get into school mode. I'll read a fun book or we'll do some singing/dancing. My ds2 really likes it and feels involved. When time for real school comes along, I take out his school box and give him an activity to work on (one at a time!).

I will also put in a video for him during times that I need more quiet (like phonics). I am doing BFIAR with him and that is helping with him feeling more involved.

It would be too much work for me to write my schedule, so here is a link to it. If you go to my preschool tag on the left, you'll also find a list of activities that I have/use for my 2yo. Here is the link to that.

HTH!

Liz in NC

:lurk5:

Very interested in this. Will have a two-year-old when ds starts first grade :bigear:

I hear some Kumon workbooks start at this age too, if dd wants to imitate "writing" like her older brother.

I'm not terribly certain that I will be a help this time around, as my youngest is a one year old and not as old as yours. However, I've done this a few times and I have been most successful with a pretty rigid schedule and designated play stations throughout the morning. Once my littles are trained, they are easier to manage. Once you have found what is fun for your little one to do (each seems to be so particular and individual in their tastes and interests) I would set up stations for him to work at while you are accomplishing your school day. I rotated from play pen to high chair to livingroom floor, to buddy, etc. and put the appropriate activities with the child to keep him busy. If he was away for a while (like in the playpen) the next rotation would be closer to me (like snack in the high chair) so that I was in contact and an encouragement to him. I've seen lots of sites and blogs that list all kinds of activities to keep little ones busy. This can be helpful, but the reality is that the attention span is very short, and soon these fun things will be old and not attractive anymore. So - train, train, train and don't get too caught up in making extensive activity bags, etc., unless you know it is going to be a hit from the beginning.

Blessings to you - there are many of us that are in your shoes, and the thing to remember is that this season will soon pass, and a little bit every day will amount to a lot at the end of the year. Don't be discouraged if you have a frustrating day or two here and there. The overall discipline of schooling every day will amount to dividends in the long haul.

I have a 5 year old in and a 2 year old, and I just started homeschooling.

I find it extremely difficult to do much with the 2 year old around.

Setting up stations or special toys doesn't seem to work well, as

DD2 would rather crawl between mommy and big sis and grab stuff.

I'm wondering about conducting school at the mall play area after public

school starts and the crowds thin out. DD2 could safely run around

to her heart's content there, while I work with DD5. She might even

wear herself out enough to take a good afternoon nap too.

Anyone ever do this? Any drawbacks?

train, train, train and don't get too caught up in making extensive activity bags

I completely agree with this!! Having to homeschool while you have little ones is all about training! I'm working on it now with my 1yo and my 2yo has been in "training" for a while. It really is about schedules, knowing what to expect, and knowing what is expected of them.

It might take a little time to train them to stay quiet during a certain time or know that they need to play alone, but eventually they get it. Especially when you are firm about it.

To help my little ones, I use a baby pool and put the chosen toy/activity from their school box in it. They know that those toys are not allowed outside the pool and that they can only play with them while inside the pool. After they get the whole idea, you can move them to the table using the same concept.

Good luck. I know it's hard since I'm going through that phase right now with schooling my ds6 and dd4 while having to keep my ds2 and ds1 occupied.

But just like it was mentioned before...train, train, train!!!

Liz in NC

How exactly do you "train"? I never used training in respect to people before, but I'm curious. I have a walking/running one-year-old too who gets into everything. I tell her "no", shake my head, and redirect her to an appropriate activity instead. Now she shakes her head when she sees me coming, it's cute. She seems to understand so much more than her brother did at that age. She's very focused, intense in her desire to explore and on the go, go, go :)

I know at this age (I have an older ds) it's redirecting constantly and repeating oneself -- is that training? :confused:

Thanks for any insight!

Oh, and by the way, we don't do physical punishment over here ;)

I don't know how other people see "training" but for me, it has always been having an expectation of how I want my kids to behave or complete a task or remain in their chair etc and then persevering with them until they can do it. I do not get discouraged or let them change what I expect, I just keep putting them back on task until they have done what I expected. You do this for awhile and it's a bit tiring, but then they start to do it automatically and you have an easier time of it.

I have dd8, dd6, ds4 and ds2 - ds4 has been trained to sit still and complete a task since he was 1/2 and it has paid off. He does heaps of phonics, basic math and cut and paste without needing my help. Ds2 is expected to sit in a highchair in the room with us for the first half hour with an activity (or 2 - I decide when it's time to swap) and then he gets time in his booster seat at the dining table with one of his siblings for another 15 minutes. I usually take him outside for a bit when I hang out washing etc and then he spends up to an hour in his room before morning tea. After an hour morning tea break (we start "school" at 8 and have MT from 10 till 11) he has a big floor activity (trains, duplo, little people etc) with his brother or they play outside for a bit longer while I do history or science with the girls. I also set up playdough and water paints at the table sometimes for the boys before lunch.

After lunch, it's a big sleep from 1 until about 3:30 (still goes down OK at 7) and then I read to him for a bit when he wakes up and he likes to do washing up in the sink while I make dinner and come outside with me to get the washing in. Usually, it's daddy time after that too so he keeps pretty busy. The older 2 do a couple of hours of mostly independent work from 2 to 4 in the afternoon so I get a nice break too.

I guess I've got the advantage of dcs working independently and ds2 having a brother but it's been a different combination for each 2-year-old and I've always had a high expectation for concentration, sitting still and sticking with an activity for a reasonable amount of time. If you knew my boys, you'd know that they are also absolutely full-on, energetic kids so people are amazed at the fact that they can also sit still and stay on task.

HTH,

Jenny

I have one on one time with my preschooler (2yo) at the start of our schedule. We are doing Little Hands to Heaven by Heart of Dakota and it has been really wonderful. After this, I usually allow her to watch her future husband, Elmo, on Sesame Street then followed by some painting or coloring, toy play, water play, etc. ToddlerToddler.com has a great list of activities also. Sunny Patch has wonderful preschool bag activities here also.

My littlest guy is only 19 months right now, but since he's #5 we've been down this path before.

First off, our family really thrives with a pretty rigid schedule a la Managers of Their Homes (MOTH). After breakfast my 4 big kids do their Bible reading, chores, and memory page. During this time my little guy watches a Baby Einstein (dubbed "Baby Crack" around here because of the uncanny way he will sit still and watch it!) Then we spend some time reading together. He also spends 45-60 minutes playing quietly in his pack and play, which he has been trained to do over the past year.

We spend 30 minutes outside walking around the neighborhood mid-morning. The big kids ride bikes and my little guy walks. This is GREAT exercise for him and helps get all that energy out! Then he spends time with a snack in his highchair while we do our read-aloud time.

Other activities include: spending time playing one-on-one with each sibling, coloring in his high chair, playing in the sink, puzzle time, and God bless him (!!!!) a 3 1/2 - 4 hour nap in the afternoon.

I find, as other posters have said, that when he knows the expectations and we follow a schedule he will be pretty compliant throughout the day. Of course, he IS a toddler, so he will inevitably get into trouble periodically.:001_smile:

I also have learned that having my kids start their day out playing on the computer can be a source of daily angst. (Ask me how I know? :lol:) They are then in play mode and I typically have trouble forcing them to change gears. How about having your other son begin with reading or copywork that he could do quietly while you spend some time with the toddler? I have found saving computer time for when schoolwork is completed is a great motivator, too.

HTH,

I have three boys--7, 5, and 2 1/2. I find 2 year olds much easier to keep occupied than 1 year olds, so that's something I guess. He sits with us while we start school; we do Bible, and read poems, and review our Spanish vocabulary. He usually draws on a dry erase board while we do this or gets up and wanders over to play with something (we have a big room that's half schoolroom/half playroom). Then my seven year old does "school" with him while I work with my 5 year old. We're VERY loosely following the preparatory curriculum from Letter of the Week. They do things like read books, listen to music and dance, go on letter or shape hunts around the house...sometimes I pull ideas out of various toddler activity books. This usually gets me 20 or 25 minutes, which is enough time to do some phonics and math--and since Milo's only 5, that's all he needs. Then Milo goes off to do Headsprout, and Gus usually likes to watch him do this. That keeps him occupied long enough for me to do what I need to do with my 7 year old and get him set up to work on his own. Then I try to make sure I spend some time with the 2 year old, reading books he picks out or whatever, before I move on to other things. And then....we do history, science, etc. while he naps. I don't imagine the nap will last much longer, so I'm going to have to come up with some new tricks pretty soon :001_smile: He's not much for TV (which is a good thing, I have to remind myself), but he does like the computer, so I can easily get a few minutes by letting him play around on Starfall or Poisson Rouge.

Thanks to everyone who shared their wisdom.

I have a ds almost 6 and a dd2. It can be a little frustrating, but we're 10 weeks into school and she's settled into the routine a little bit. We do lots of reading in the beginning of our day and she wanders a plays with things during this time. She likes receiving the coloring sheets that ds gets.

Math time was always my biggest struggle because I needed ds to focus for 30 minutes without interruption. So, against my theory of doing Math at the beginning of the day, we do it when dd2 is napping.

My two year old loves to join us at the table, so I will have paper and crayons there for her. She also likes to look at books and is pretty good about entertaining herself, she does watch TV some. But sometimes she does get disruptive and that is when I either let the boys take a break or find some independent work for them so I can get DD focused on an activity.

Mine are 7, 6, almost 5 and 3, and we've done it a few different ways. For a while I was just teaching my oldest and would do it while the other kids were resting (we all take a 2 hr. siesta after lunch)...but then I was ready for a rest right when everyone else was waking up!

Then I invested in some table toys and my younger kids would do table time while the oldest was working. We would switch every 15 min. I felt like I was spending more time keeping the 3 younger ones in line than educating my oldest, but she's pretty independent so it worked ok. This was two "school years" ago.

Last year DD7 was reading so she was pretty independent. I never taught my middle two for more than 45 min. at a time, and during those times I'd let my youngest watch PBS, or I'd get out the Little People--sometimes little ones will play longer when their older siblings are busy, I think DD3 liked that she could play however she wanted without anyone making her do it their way!

This year my plan is to have them all together during Bible time and read-alouds, and have coloring books and activity books available while we're doing school, and letting her choose whether she wants to be at the table with us or go play by herself. She's 3 1/2, though, and pretty mellow.

He was still taking afternoon naps. So, we did most of our work during his afternoon nap. That way we could play and do normal activities in the morning and not miss out on time with him. When we did have to work while he was awake, we tried to play with him first and then set up an independent play activity for him nearby (water play at the sink, cars and trucks on the floor, etc.) We also tried to include him in as much as possible (reading aloud together, having him tell me the color of objects dd was using to count for math, etc.) Sometimes he just had to be frustrated for awhile that we couldn't just do what he wanted, or I had to be frustrated that we needed to change plans for awhile, but overall we made it through the year okay. Good luck!

I started school a few weeks ago and I have a just-turned-2 year old. I don't schedule things for him specifically but I do have bins of toys close by to help direct him if needed. For the most part he plays in the same room with us and just hangs out. Sometimes he crawls in my lap while I am reading and he hangs out there. I occasionally grab him and my 4yo and park them in front of PBS when I need a break from juggling all 4 of them. :)

I do make sure I spend time with my youngest when he first wakes up and when he gets up from nap - I don't want him missing out on his needed snuggle time cause we are schooling. For the most part it's not too big a deal - I really only have to worry when he disappears (this means he's INTO something) or when the pencils get left within his reach....

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience. We aren't going to start school for a few weeks yet. I'm an optimist, so I'm picturing things going much smoother than they did late last year. He is older. But I may be bumping this thread back up in a few weeks in spite of wishful thinking :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the thought to give time to the younger child first, then work with the older ones. I believe that having mom time first helps to "fill his or her cup," so to speak, and that he or she is less like to be (as) disruptive. Same thing applies to when I need some mom time -- I first give the all children the time they need, then I am able to take a few minutes to myself.

I have a 2 year old under foot, and I really don't do any separate planning for him. He doesn't nap (for medical reasons... he has medication he needs to take before sleeping... If I could put him down for naps, I would!).

My 2yo usually plays in the school room or where ever we happen to be working. I have extra phonics tiles, and loads of math manipulatives, so I'll often give him those to keep him busy. We use Legos and playdough. He has his own desk, though he rarely sits at it. Sometimes he'll sit there with a crayon and an old math workbook and yell, "DONE!" every couple of minutes. (That his impression of the older kids doing school... :lol:)

We have a portable DVD player and headphones, and he'll sometimes sit at his desk and watch a video. He watches our science experiments, and tries to swipe the materials. He does his own version of our art projects, though we need to make sure he doesn't drink the paint water. He hangs from the desks while the kids are doing school, points at the stuff in their books, imitates my 7yo when he's sounding out words, rolls around on the floor, bops us on the head to get our attention, and generally tries to make a nuisance of himself all the time. :)

On our first day of school this year, he walked around all day with a bike helmet on, and drew all over his face with a glue stick. But hey, it kept him entertained!

This year will be easier than last year, I think. My older kids have learned to work amidst distraction because we've always had at least one baby/toddler/preschooler. I do try to make sure I spend enough one on one time with my toddler, but he wants 100% of me regardless of how much one on one time he gets. He just likes being where the action is. But it works. :D

I have some suggestions, although my situation is somewhat different.

I have a 6 year old with autism and, in many, many ways, it's like having had a 2 year old around for 4 years (and counting). Her abilities, interests, language level, etc. is that of a 3 year old.

Here are some things that have helped to keep my homeschool running smoothly:

- I've taped plain paper to the walls in my foyer - Giant sheets from her height to the floor - and she is allowed to color on them (so she no longer colors on the walls of my house! She knows that these are the 'walls' she can color and no others).

- We keep the computer in dining room (which also serves as our school room) and I always have a stack of computer games for her to play if I'm busy with something else

- We have baby gates on the stairs and also across any rooms that I don't want her to go into. We have an alarm system so she can't sneak out the front doors (which has been known to happen!) while I'm teaching school.

- I always keep a box for her that comes out when I'm busy teaching. It has things like construction paper, safety scissors, stickers, play-doh, stamps, etc. and she'll often sit and play with it for long periods of time -- but it's put away when I'm not doing school, which keeps it entertaining and fresh.

- We have fenced-in our backyard so she can go outside and play while I'm doing school, and the weather is nice, and I know she's safe.

- I look for curriculums that I can use for the maximum number of children and cover the maximum number of subjects. I also look for self-teaching curriculums as much as possible. I'm always blown away when I read these signatures with folks who use a ton of different things...it could NEVER work in my house because I need to get school done and move on to something else. So perhaps that's something you could consider.

And keep in mind that, for you, this is a brief season. You won't often have a 2 year old running around. For me....this may be our life for years to come (my daughter gains 6 months of ability, on average, every 1 1/2 to 2 years).

I am homeschooling a 1st and K this year along with a 2yo and 1 yo. I have a list of activities that I plan each week for my 2yo in order to keep him busy.

As for starting the day, we usually always do "circle time" together followed by going over the calendar. This gives us all time to get into school mode. I'll read a fun book or we'll do some singing/dancing. My ds2 really likes it and feels involved. When time for real school comes along, I take out his school box and give him an activity to work on (one at a time!).

I will also put in a video for him during times that I need more quiet (like phonics). I am doing BFIAR with him and that is helping with him feeling more involved.

It would be too much work for me to write my schedule, so here is a link to it. If you go to my preschool tag on the left, you'll also find a list of activities that I have/use for my 2yo. Here is the link to that.

HTH!

Liz in NC

Fabulous ideas here and on your blog!!! Thank you.

Right now I have a 5.5 year old, 4 year old, and a 2.5 year old. We do most of our schoolwork during the afternoon, trying to take advantage of the 2 year old's nap! The 5 and 4 year olds switch off having computer time while I work with the other child. If the 2 year old refuses a nap, he always joins us for math (he loves to play with the MUS blocks at the table) but then wanders off to enjoy some competition-free time with the toys while we do the rest of our subjects.

- I look for curriculums that I can use for the maximum number of children and cover the maximum number of subjects. I also look for self-teaching curriculums as much as possible. I'm always blown away when I read these signatures with folks who use a ton of different things...it could NEVER work in my house because I need to get school done and move on to something else. So perhaps that's something you could consider.

Care to share your curriculum? It seems like everyone uses teacher intensive stuff around here.

HTH!

Liz in NC

Thank you for the listing of ideas. I will be incorporating them into our routine.

My dds are 4 and 2. I do school after lunch. We eat, then dd4 and dd2 do circle time together and a read-aloud. Then dd2 takes her nap and dd4 does math, phonics, and handwriting, and an activity that goes along with the book we're reading (we're using FIAR). Then she has quiet reading time until dd2 wakes up.

If for some reason dd2 is awake during schooltime, I make copies of any coloring pages that dd4 is doing and let dd2 sit on the other side of the table and color. Or I will get playdoh or stickers or stamps out for her. It usually keeps her occupied until she gets her fill of "school" and toddles off to do something else.

The after lunch setup has worked really well for us, because we have to be home for dd2s nap anyway, and most of our activities (dance, gymnastics, etc.) are in the morning right now.

Care to share your curriculum? It seems like everyone uses teacher intensive stuff around here.

Sure!!

Sonlight is an excellent way to combine several children in one grade level. I'm using Core 4 this year for my boys. (My 14yo has special needs and is working on a 7th grade level -- Sonlight cores are sooo good that *I* always learn something and I figure that, if *I* can learn something, after going through high school and taking some college classes, *he* can learn plenty, too!)

We're combining this with the Trail Guide to US Geography. I purchased the CD that has all 3 levels in one and my 14yo is using the Advanced set (which asks more indepth questions) and my 8yo is using the Intermediate set.

My 14yo is using Smarr's Introduction to Literature, which covers writing and a little grammar, and spelling is correcting any missed words. My 8yo is using Learning Language Arts Through Literature, which combines grammar, spelling, and writing in one curriculum.

They each have their own art and math curriculums (my 14yo is using CLE, which is in workbook format, and my 8yo is using TT Math 5, which is all done on the computer)

My 6yo is using Abeka Math and Art, Pathway Readers and Workbooks, Handwriting Without Tears Printing Power, and BJU for Science and History. I'm using the read-alouds from Sonlight Core 1 with her as well. (She also has special needs, so I try not to overwhelm her)