Menu

On Bed Rest

MomOfABunch

You can do this! Right now only you can take care of your baby. You can do it! Think of it as 3 or 4 weeks out of 90 years. It's awful, it's boring, it's worth it.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: I won't go into how to survive months...What I found the most difficult was the medicine I was on made me so jittery I couldn't concentrate on anything. I had another friend that spent her time on bedrest learning a new language.  :svengo:

You can do this! Right now only you can take care of your baby. You can do it! Think of it as 3 or 4 weeks out of 90 years. It's awful, it's boring, it's worth it.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: I won't go into how to survive months...What I found the most difficult was the medicine I was on made me so jittery I couldn't concentrate on anything. I had another friend that spent her time on bedrest learning a new language.  :svengo:

As Starr said it can be done. :) The main thing I concentrated on was a statistic someone gave me, I think it was approximately one day of successfully completed bedrest meant 2 or 3 less days in NICU for ds. That made it easy to keep my mind on the end goal, no NICU. Which we did accomplish. Please don't take that comment as anything other then honest. I spent months on bedrest and that was what kept me there. It was boring and really hard to miss things with dd.

Talking was the easiest activity. I spent a great deal of time on the phone. Cross Stitch was the easiest craft for me to do laying on my side. Some people do crochet easily. At that point I had never even considered home ed but now I would spend days pouring over catalogs and books doing some long range school planning. :grouphug:

Two months. Pretty boring! Online forums and browsing helped. I did Big Bed Story Time with my then toddler. I read a lot of fiction. I spent time visiting with the friends from church who came over to help with household stuff.

Are there any long book series out there you've wanted to read? Now would be a good time. You could also choose a few tv series DVDs and watch all the seasons. That's a real treat, to be able to go right from one episode to the next, no waiting.

The time will pass and you will be very busy before you know it!

I was on bed rest for 6 1/2 weeks.  It was very difficult.  You can only read so many books and watch so many movies.  I used a calendar and crossed off each day as it passed until my dd was born. I endured it because I knew that I needed to. I was thrilled every time I was able to get up and use the bathroom (very often :-) and equally thrilled to be able to shower each day. Other than that I lay on my left side. 

You will endure because it's best for your new baby that's just wanting to be born.  I took it one day at a time. And if that was difficult, I took it hour by hour. And if that was hard, I took it minute by minute. It is very hard, perhaps one of the hardest things I ever did, to just 'lie around" while you wait for this baby to finish baking in the oven!  And I agree, with the above posters that, every day gives that baby more health and you're one day closer to holding him or her in your arms!  We're rooting for you and praying for you as well!  YOU CAN DO IT!  :hurray:   :hurray:

:grouphug: to you.  In a few weeks it'll be over and you'll be able to hold the best prize of all :thumbup: Then these weeks of waiting will all be a blur, a faint memory!

I was on hospital bedrest for 4 weeks with Sylvia.  I sewed Christmas stockings (felt applique) and watched baseball's steroid hearings.  Fond memories.  I wish I'd known how to knit or crochet then; I could have gotten a lot done!  I also read and watched some spring training baseball.  I didn't watch much TV as it was at the hospital so we didn't have all the channels.  And a laptop saved my life!

Yea, I've been spending a lot of time online....

I think the hardest thing is looking around the house at all the things that need to be done and not being able to do them!

I teach special Ed and work found a good long term sub for me who started today. That makes me feel better that my school kiddos are in good hands.

Bedrest can be hard! I did 6 weeks of bedrest with DD5 and 8 weeks with DD2. It can be really tough. Let yourself cry. Ask for help and let things go. Bedrest is absolutely the best thing you can do for your baby. I would've gladly done another two weeks of bedrest if we could have avoided the week of NICU we had to endure with DD2. That was the most stressful week of my life. Watch movies, read, knit, etc. The bedrest board at babycenter was decent. There are some crazies on there but everyone is going through singing similar soy that helps. Hang in there! It will be worth it!

Yea, I've been spending a lot of time online....

I think the hardest thing is looking around the house at all the things that need to be done and not being able to do them!

I teach special Ed and work found a good long term sub for me who started today. That makes me feel better that my school kiddos are in good hands.

Yes, that would be super hard!  It was bad enough for me that I couldn't go get ice in the hallway by myself!