Menu

Please help me decide

Pamela H in Texas

Okay, so a friend is having twins in Nov (already on bedrest :( ).  

She said she has about half as many cloth diapers as she needs.

So that sounded like a good gift.

Would you buy:

Newborn sized ones that are for 4-11 pounds

Regular adjustable which are for 7-38 pound babes

????

If it matters, I'm thinking of buying 10, some boy, some girl, some unisex (they are boy/girl twins)

ETA: Should I buy her other girls gifts (btw, it is a girl party.  My daughters and I were invited so her girls will be there)? Any ideas?

I would get the larger size. They'll get more use, and I can imagine wanting to use disposables at first while they're first getting settled. Plus, if she ends up with a cesarean, laundry can be a big challenge at first.

Do you know what type of diapers she's using?

I would probably get the larger size. But my 11-pound 3-week-old is wearing the smallest sized prefolds; they're getting small to go around him, but they work well for laying in the middle of thinner prefolds. Even with frequent changes, one prefold isn't quite enough absorbency for him, but a folded-in-thirds one is. So I don't know. If they're fitted diapers, I'd probably go with the larger ones.

Annie, she said pockets and snaps (I asked after she posted a picture of a cute cover).  

I like the Just Simply Baby diapers because they hold so well.  

Even when we've used disposables, we've used those for night time. 

And an extra plus.  After I went to their website looking for a deal, they sent me a coupon for 1/2 off ten!  I had planned to buy four (because I'm not rich enough to outfit her completely!).  For the cost of one more, I can get her TEN! YAY!

I think it's a delightfully thoughtful gift either way. I'd opt for the regular adjustable ones, personally, but I don't think there's a bad decision possible here. Also, could you do 5 newborn ones and 5 regular ones, or do they have to be all the same size?

I would get the larger size. 

I had bought One Size Mother-ease diapers that fit for 8-35lbs when my son was born.  Later when my twin girls were born we used the same diapers for them.  For the first couple of weeks, we ended up using disposable diapers that someone had given to us because getting newborn feces out of cloth diapers is a pain!  The twins were born at 5lbs 5oz and 5lbs 15oz, and they had just regained their birth weight when we put them in the 8lb diapers.  Still no leaks!  Should be perfectly fine for her to use larger ones earlier than the website says, and as mentioned, someone probably has gotten her disposable as well to use at first.

Hope that helps!

Remember twins grow quicker in utero. I was due in Nov, delivered in Oct (almost exactly 4 weeks early) and mine were 7 pounders. Dr explained that twins (or more) mature faster as they are usually "fully baked" with fewer weeks. So unless they come like this week, they may be average newborn size.