Menu

Can you identify this teeny creature if I don't have a photo?

Chelle in MO

I found a little insect-type thing squirming on my garage floor today. It was very tiny--maybe 3/4 of an inch long.  It had no eyes, antennae, feet, or legs that I could see; and it was a creamy, pale yellow color w/a smooth body--no segments or ridges.  It was tapered in shape, like a tadpole.

Any ideas on what it was?

Just don't be tempted to google maggot images. I am serious.

Believe me, I won't!  I don't need those pictures in my mind!

I told dh about our little visitor and he said to leave the trash can outside after the trash gets picked up tomorrow and he'll see if the problem is coming from there.  I feel sorry for the trash collectors.  Blech. 

I'm wondering if this is really a maggot now I've re-read your post. You said it was about 3/4 inch long--I missed that first time around. Maggots I've seen are usually less than 1/2 inch long and there is never just one.

Maybe it's some other kind of larva but I have no idea what kind it might be.

I would look up. If you see one on the floor, they did not crawl there. 

Sorry!

Can you please come do it for me???  :scared:

I'm wondering if this is really a maggot now I've re-read your post. You said it was about 3/4 inch long--I missed that first time around. Maggots I've seen are usually less than 1/2 inch long and there is never just one.

Maybe it's some other kind of larva but I have no idea what kind it might be.

I just got out a ruler...it was probably closer to half an inch, but not shorter than that.  I didn't look around yesterday for any buddies it might've been with.  There at least weren't any real close by.

Sounds like a maggot of some sort...

I think it's just about unanimous now!  :D

Do you have root veggies stored in there? The length and tapering make me think of carrot rust flies.  The maggots tunnel into carrots, celery etc.  They ar creamy white, smooth and tapered

So yes a maggot but may not be from your garbage can.  Then again it could be just your run of the mill maggot :P

oh yuck.

My thoughts exactly!

Do you have root veggies stored in there? The length and tapering make me think of carrot rust flies.  The maggots tunnel into carrots, celery etc.  They ar creamy white, smooth and tapered

So yes a maggot but may not be from your garbage can.  Then again it could be just your run of the mill maggot :p

No, I don't.  I'm guessing run-of-the-mill, too, which doesn't make me feel any better than if it was a carrot rust fly!

Do your best to ensure all your trash is in sealed up bags before they go into the bin. No unbagged trash goes in there. That's what has worked best for us. We've only had maggots once in the last 8 years or so.

I do that...nothing organic goes in w/out a bag.  The kids know it, too.  I even freeze meat scraps until the day before pick up.  :confused1:

Now that I think of it, I do use plastic grocery bags in a little garage trash can.  Maybe the holes that are sometimes in the bottoms of those are what's causing the trouble.  The trash from inside the house is tied up in drawstring bags.

I wait till the night before trash pick up to put in any food scraps if I can help it.  In the FL heat, a chicken bone or leftover pizza can be maggots before trash day if we don't.  Yuck.

A silver fish?

I don't think so...I'm pretty sure I know what those look like.  But I'm not going to Google to be sure!   ;)

I wait till the night before trash pick up to put in any food scraps if I can help it.  In the FL heat, a chicken bone or leftover pizza can be maggots before trash day if we don't.  Yuck.

That's probably a good idea.  Thanks.

I wonder if spraying ammonia on the garbage would also work? (or does that only keep out raccoons?)

I haven't heard of that, but maybe I should try it--I don't want any raccoons in there either!  :001_huh:

I do that...nothing organic goes in w/out a bag.  The kids know it, too.  I even freeze meat scraps until the day before pick up.  :confused1:

Now that I think of it, I do use plastic grocery bags in a little garage trash can.  Maybe the holes that are sometimes in the bottoms of those are what's causing the trouble.  The trash from inside the house is tied up in drawstring bags.

This is pretty much what we do too--even freezing the meat scraps. Your maggots might have been just a random thing. You know, one bag got a tiny tear in it and the flies were particularly busy that day and there was a small space between the lid and the bin or a small hole in the bottom of the bin . . .

I wouldn't sweat it. The last time we had maggots in our bin we just cleaned it out well and haven't had them again yet. And we haven't changed how we deal with the trash.

This is pretty much what we do too--even freezing the meat scraps. Your maggots might have been just a random thing. You know, one bag got a tiny tear in it and the flies were particularly busy that day and there was a small space between the lid and the bin or a small hole in the bottom of the bin . . .

I wouldn't sweat it. The last time we had maggots in our bin we just cleaned it out well and haven't had them again yet. And we haven't changed how we deal with the trash.

Good plan!  We've had unseasonably hot weather, so I'll just deal w/it and it'll be over soon.

This is going to be me now:  :chillpill:   

:D