Menu

Need ideas for a pot-luck - help please?

Ameena

I need ideas for a pot-luck. Wednesday is the first weekly homeschool park day as well as our first time going, and they are having a pot-luck at the park. I'd like to take something birthday-ish, since the following day is dd's birthday & she's not having a party as she doesn't really know enough kids to invite {which is why we're going to park day in the 1st place}. But it needs to be something easily carried ON THE BUS to park day - we have to take 3 buses to get there as they have moved the location this year, and now it's further from us part of the time. Can't be cold, as it will take us close to 2 hours to get there by bus {and possibly longer if we miss a connecting bus, get stuck in traffic, etc}. I would do cupcakes, but without a carrier I don't see the frosting making it to the park - it's going to end up smeared all over the box.

And it can't have peanuts, tree nuts or oats on account of our allergies.

Ideas?

I like Carol's idea.  If you take frosting and a "topper" or two, then the kids can decorate their own cupcakes.  The "topper" could be as simple as different colors of colored sugar.  If this is a super healthy bunch that doesn't do food colorings, maybe just several flavors of frosting?  (Caramel, vanilla, and choc?)

Can you make cupcakes and put them in a box? I've done that several times. I look for old shipping boxes (maybe ones that homeschool books came in?) to carry them. I also like the idea of putting on the frosting after you get there. You can even add sprinkles!