Menu

Can I "do" Washington DC in 8 hours?

Hello,

We will be driving from New England to Western Virginia to visit my sister and I am thinking of stopping in DC for an afternoon/evening. Is this even a good idea? If so, what are the must-see attractions that are in close proximity to each other so we don't spend a lot of time driving around? I have only been there once in 6th grade, so I do not remember the logistics of the trip. 

Is there one good place to park and walk around?

Are the tourist areas fairly safe (It will just be myself and my DDs)?

TIA!!

With your kids' ages, I think that's definitely doable. Most of the touristy stuff here is in one place, the National Mall. Around this time of year, there is usually parking down there (contrary to what they try to tell you). Park along the Mall, and you can go to almost all of the Smithsonian museums, the Capitol, the Washington Monument, etc. It you wanted to see the White House or something, it's a short Metro ride away. The only thing that isn't on the Mall is decent food. So you'll have to go somewhere else for that. There's good food by the White House.

Tourist areas are very safe.

With 8 hours you could do part of Washington. Don't plan on going to the smithsonian. That is an all day affair. Check and see if the Washington monument is open. Every single time I've been to DC it has been closed for repairs.

Pick 3 things that you really want to see, even if you have to drive a bit and map out a route. If you are heading south through Washington and plan on getting to the VA state line between 3 and 7p you might as well stop and see the sites. Traffic won't be moving. Keep in mind the opposite is true going into Baltimore on the return trip.

We did a whirlwind tour of DC this past spring.  We had a whole day, so a bit more time than you will, but it's the same idea.  One thing we did that was great was to take a 3 hour bus tour of the monuments.  It was at night and the monuments were striking with the lighting and all.  I am not one to do things like bus tours, but I was really impressed with that one.  Anyway, my point is that they have lots of different tours, and it's a good way to see a lot at once.

Aside from that, many of the sights are within walking distance of one another.

It depends. Will you be coming in on a weekday around rush hour? Then I would say, no way.

Will you be coming on a weekday around 10:00 am? Or a weekend? Then, you could see a bit.

Weekday, you can drive around the National Mall and ohh and ahh at the buildings then park at Union Station and walk down to the Capitol, do a tour if it isn't terribly busy. Then see US botanical Gardens, maybe have lunch at American Indian Museum and continue walking down the Mall. Depending on how fast you walk, you could make it to Lincoln and back. If it's a weekday, I would not leave the city until after 6:30 pm.

If it's a weekend, you can park anywhere it says "permit parking". There is a lot in front of the Capitol, one in front of Botanic Gardens, and we always park by the Tidal Basin. Very short walk to Wash. Monument (which is not open) and WW2 Memorial.

If it were me, knowing what I know- I would park at Union Station and pay the $34 (?) a person to ride the double decker bus. It goes all over the Mall, through Georgetown, Arlington and even up to the National Cathedral. You can hop off and on as much as you want. The first stop is union Station, there is plenty of parking ($). I would get on, pick a seat up top and ride it all the way around without getting off (takes about 2 hours) and then back at Union I would get off, go inside and grab a quick bite to eat (lots of affordable/quick options) and then get back on the bus and pick a few places to hop off and see.

We go in to DC all the time. I schedule/coordinate field trips and bring lots of family members in to sightsee. That is what I would do.

ETA- www.opentopsightseeing.com

EATA- I just saw you will be here in the afternoon. If it's a weekday, and you get in before 3- then yes. Anytime after that, the traffic will just be too crazy and you won't find parking or get to see too much. If it's a weekend, go ahead and go for it- DC can be pretty empty on the weekends, comparatively speaking.

Most Smithsonian museums close around 5:00/5:30. Don't plan on seeing any of those.

Yes.  You can definitely have a worthwhile day here in that time frame.  Parking is tricky though...  you don't want to take a huge time out of that for the metro, but I'm not sure where to tell you to park, even for money.

But putting that aside, I would start at one end of the Mall - either down by Jefferson or way over at the Capitol building.  And then just make your way to the other side.  I think you could pop into maybe one or two Smithsonians to see something very specific - like you could walk through the giant gallery in Air and Space and see the planes and then exit or go in, see just the dinosaurs in National History and then come out.  Go past the Washington Monument.  Do a walk past the White House.  See the WWII memorial, the Vietnam Wall, the Lincoln Memorial (maybe pop across Constitution and see Einstein), and then around the tidal basin and see FDR, MLK, and Jefferson.  And that would be a full day and you'd be exhausted from walking, but hopefully happy.

Hello,

We will be driving from New England to Western Virginia to visit my sister and I am thinking of stopping in DC for an afternoon/evening. Is this even a good idea? If so, what are the must-see attractions that are in close proximity to each other so we don't spend a lot of time driving around? I have only been there once in 6th grade, so I do not remember the logistics of the trip.

Is there one good place to park and walk around?

Are the tourist areas fairly safe (It will just be myself and my DDs)?

TIA!!

The bolded is the tricky part. So many good attractions close early, like 5pm. You'd have to really prioritize your indoor viewing. I would "do" one Smithsonian museum, depending on your girls' interests, then visit the monuments.

It may be worth scheduling appointments at a few places to ensure you get to go in.  At the National Archives, for example, admission is free, but you may have to wait in a long line, depending on how many other people decided to go then.  We reserved a time (I think there might have been a small fee), entered through a different door, and were allowed into the screening line ahead of a bunch of people that just showed up.  You have to be screened by metal detectors to enter public buildings in DC, and that slows things down.  It didn't even matter that we were early, they let us in.  We walked straight to the room displaying the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, and we were able to just walk right up to look at them.  Amazing.

It may be worth scheduling appointments at a few places to ensure you get to go in. At the National Archives, for example, admission is free, but you may have to wait in a long line, depending on how many other people decided to go then. We reserved a time (I think there might have been a small fee), entered through a different door, and were allowed into the screening line ahead of a bunch of people that just showed up. You have to be screened by metal detectors to enter public buildings in DC, and that slows things down. It didn't even matter that we were early, they let us in. We walked straight to the room displaying the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, and we were able to just walk right up to look at them. Amazing.

We're doing this later this year. The fee is $1.50 pp. One hour guided tours are offered M-F beginning at 9:30 (National Archives is open 10-5:30) and you can choose your time. The website says to allow 90 minutes to see everything. http://www.archives.gov/nae/visit/

Sure! We had an accidental day in DC once due to a missed flight in Philly. We probably had a couple more hours than you did, but we saw quite a bit - just going to the National Mall is well worth it, imo.

iirc, we left our car at the hotel and used public transport to the mall. We were there long enough to hop into some museums - you may not have time for that, but then again it doesn't hurt to try. Maybe try to figure out one of the more obscure ones. Then we spent a lot of time walking the mall and looking at monuments - again, this alone is enough to justify a trip! Absolutely gorgeous at night. To make it a true home schooler's visit, have your kids recite O Captain My Captain at the Lincoln Monument ;)

We also crammed a visit to Chinatown in there, but we could have skipped that. Good food but we were expecting something along the lines of the French Quarter or San Antonio's Riverwalk, and it was really just a lot of Chinese restaurants. A *whole* lot of them, granted, but really nothing else. Any other shops and such were closed.

We felt quite safe at both the mall and Chinatown. Follow the city rule of not wandering onto unplanned streets, and the odds are in your favor. I don't know about parking, but I think you will just have to suck it up and pay a small fortune at a hotel or such.

oh, and there's an app for that! http://www.nps.gov/nama/photosmultimedia/app-page.htm

The app will give you lots of info, maps (including walking maps), etc, and will even suggest tours based on the time you have. Get this - you can point your phone and labels will appear, naming all the monuments and buildings in sight. Now I want to go back just to use that app . . .

Great advice so far, especially on the times. A couple of things:

The Smithsonian American Art/Portrait Gallery are open until 7 PM. These are separate, lesser-known museums housed in the same building. The indoor courtyard is beautiful, with a very cool water "fountain" on the floor, WiFi, and a cafe. This museum is a few easy-to-walk blocks north of the east side of the Mall. If we are making a day of it and want to leave the city after rush hour, we leave the Mall at 5:30 when those museums close and walk up. You can also get to it via the Metro at the Chinatown/Gallery Place exit.

For good eats at a reasonable price (probably the most reasonable in downtown DC), we go to Potbelly Sandwich Works. You can find their locations at their website. We've been to most and all are good, just keep in mind that they keep DC working people hours so they're not open late.

The Botanical Garden on the east side of the Mall, is one of our favorite places. Be sure to stop by their information desk for (IMHO) the handiest paper map of the touristy part of DC.