Menu

WWYD- Masters degree in English

DragonFaerie

I am working on my masters degree in English and Creative Writing, but I really have no idea what I want to do when I grow up.  I have thought about teaching online college classes (my best idea, so far), but I'd really like to learn about some other possibilities.  So, what would you do with a masters degree in English and Creative Writing (beyond the obvious teaching or writing)?

My SIL almost got a doctorate in English (all but the dissertation). Then did the stay at home mom thing for a while. Now.....she teaches online writing classes. Also, she went back and did a masters in library science (is that what it's called?) and she's trying to break into the librarian field.

Keep in mind that getting hired at the college level with an English degree is tough.  At the college where I work, the part-time English professors and are all either retired professional writers or moonlighting high school AP English teachers.  They get hundreds and hundreds of resumes.  And they hire from within for online teaching.

STEM fields are a lot easier if you are in the right field   :001_smile:.

I have a similar degree. I use it for tutoring high school students and running the odd poetry workshop here and there. I think teaching of some kind will be your best bet.

I am going back to school to retrain for something more profitable :)

Good luck! Hope an awesome opportunity comes along.

May I ask what degree you are going after? I want to go back to college and have no idea what to study.

Thanks,

Anne

A friend's son got a job doing technical writing at a computer/software company.  But honestly, I think you have to look beyond your degree.  I think English degrees are great, as long as you don't get stuck thinking you have to have a writing job at the end (or teaching, unless you want to teach).

You can apply for office type jobs.  Business needs people who can communicate.  Any job that requires communication (either written or verbal) could be a good fit for you. In my past life (before kids) I worked at a large financial company.  Managers had all types of degrees; music, religion, english, as well as business. You start in a clerical type position and work your way up.  The degree helps when it comes time for promotions (you could not get past as certain pay-grade without some sort of degree). My sister currently works at a mortgage company, and it's the same thing.  She's stuck because she lacks that piece of paper, though she has made it far without it.  She started off at the call center.  Bad pay, but if you are a good worker you can get promoted.  That's what she did.  Filled in for people, stayed late, came early, did whatever she was asked. She now makes 3x's what she made when she first started.    

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is don't limit yourself.  Be willing to go for clerical jobs or any job, and see it as a step in a ladder to get you where you want to go.  

Thanks for the replies, guys.  It's disheartening to realize that I'm working so hard for something that may be all but useless.  But I don't know what else I would want to study or do.  I'd really like to keep working from home, but a "real" telecommuting job would be nice (rather than the bits and pieces that I do now).

I never finished my masters in English but if (when!) I do, I'll probably go for a PhD at the same time.  My dream job would be teaching college or writing for a living.  

I know that on the one hand, English seems like a throwaway degree, but on the other hand, having a masters and being able to write can be a boon to some employers.  You never know what might come your way  :)

I'm in a different country and so the labour market is different. I'm doing post-grad psychology and hoping to work in educational psychology or provide a niche clinical service as a homeschool friendly psychologist. We'll see how it goes. It was my original second choice ( Creative Arts being my first, questionable choice ).

Good luck working out what to study! it's taken me around 18 months to finally come to a decision.

Thanks.

I have some time. Creative Arts seems interesting.

I have an RN but do not want to continue  in medicine. I will figure it out.