Menu

Is anyone else busy with canning season?

Prairie~Phlox

Our church grew a bunch of tomato plants, so I'm taking advantage of them and have made sauce, soup, salsa, diced tomatoes among other stuff. Today dh & I bought more green peppers at the farmer's market, so I need to make more salsa & spaghetti sauce also some hot pepper jelly. So what have you been working on?

I'm mostly done, but I still need to do watermelon rind pickles, more applesauce if I can get more apples, and pickled beets.

There's no way I could start school in the midst of canning season. We're just going to have to deal, either by doing double lessons while the rest of the world goes grocery shopping or by a school year that extends until it's actually warm enough in my area to do fun summer things.

I put up roughly 40 bags of corn in the freezer.

15 quarts of pickles

12 jars of peaches

8 half pints of salsa

12 pints of tomatoes

24 quarts of green beans

and probably 5 dozen jars of different kinds of jam.

This has been my best canning year so far, also my best growing year due to excellent precipitation all summer.

I will probably do more tomatoes as my late ones come in.

I'm mostly done, but I still need to do watermelon rind pickles, more applesauce if I can get more apples, and pickled beets.

There's no way I could start school in the midst of canning season. We're just going to have to deal, either by doing double lessons while the rest of the world goes grocery shopping or by a school year that extends until it's actually warm enough in my area to do fun summer things.

ugh...I know. It's hard to can and do school.

It's easier to do that now since I have helpers to help shuck corn, pick veggies and wash stuff. They are such a huge help to me in these busy times.  I never did as much when my kids were so small.

A year ago, I was canning everything tomato and more, but not this year.  I did strawberries and jam in May, but we went on vacation and didn't expect the garden to do much while we were gone.  We have a few tomatoes, but just for salads and a little bit of fresh salsa here and there.  Nothing else really survived.

In mid-October I'll do two or so bushels of apples into pie filling and applesauce.

I actually kind of enjoy canning tomatoes.  They're less labor-intensive than strawberry jam or applesauce.  Sometimes I'd get up at 5:30 with DH, and do a batch before anyone else got up.  The salsa was especially good.  Unfortunately we're out now, but I still have maybe a dozen cans of tomatoes from last year.

We've been so busy with moving that I haven't done anything yet. And we don't have a garden this year  :glare: . But I just got 36 lbs of pears from Bountiful Baskets, and plan on having some fun with them next week when they ripen a bit. Now to narrow down what I want to do...