Menu

Suggestions for Remedial Phonics? 4th Grade

Wonder

Oh how I wish I had realized before now the damage that was done to my daughter re: reading in the public school system!!  Up until partway through 3rd grade, reading was taught primarily through the "whole language" method.  Upon leaving public school, her teacher said she was reading slightly ahead of average for her grade level.  But as she tries to read out loud now, I can tell she's still guessing at many words.  I worked with her on phonics this past year via Abeka phonics.  And it seemed to help.  But she STILL does not sound out hard words unless I specifically remind her to sound them out.  And, even then, sometimes she doesn't sound it out quite right.  

I'm working on phonics with her 1st grade sisters, so to her it seems "babyish."  How can I find out what kind of instruction/help she needs?  And is there something out there that won't seem babyish to her?  I don't think she has a dyslexia problem or anything.  Just poor instruction for more than 3 years.

Spalding. It will address all of her English literacy issues: reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, simple writing. I've taught Spalding to children through high school, and saw an improvement of at least two grade levels by Christmas (when we started in August). It will seem simple to her in the beginning, but I suspect it will challenge her quickly (I tell older children that the baby stuff in the beginning is practice for the more complex words later on).

I really, REALLY like phonics pathways.  It's simple, it's cheap, it's no-frills and gets the job done in just a few minutes a day.  It's not babyish so can be used with emerging readers and kids who need a little remedial help.  It's definitely not the most exciting program, but it works.

Ultimate Phonics is a software option and could be done 100% independently, it would probably be great to have around as a supplement also, I do recommend you try and get started with a book option also though. I'm reading Phonics Pathways now but I have read and like Spalding too.

Have you seen The Ordinary Parents' Guide to Reading?  In the last section of the book, Jessie Wise actually talks about what you are describing.  I would buy a copy and just work through the book.  You could write the words on a dry erase board and have her decode them if she didn't want to read from the book.  There are no pictures or anything in the book (IOW, it doesn't look babyish).  

Can anyone who has used several different methods/programs explain the differences?  I read that Reading Reflex isn't really phonics?  But I'm guessing that doesn't matter if it's recommended for remedial instruction.  What are the strengths of doing a "remedial" program vs. doing a phonics program from the beginning?  When we worked on phonics last year through Abeka, I just used the Handbook for Reading, along with the 2nd grade Letters and Sounds book.  But I admit I didn't have her always circle the "special sounds," etc.  We also worked a little bit in the OPGTR book, but she really didn't like that. So WTM would recommend Reading Reflex over OPGTR?

www.highnoonbooks.com specializes in high interest/low level materials.   I like their own High Noon Intervention Program and chapter books, not the old Kirk and Kirk phonics program they also sell.  My ds came out of bricks and mortar school not reading.  High Noon was what worked.  I think it would work well for a dc without dyslexia too.  Covers of chapter books look good--read not babyish-- for an older child in public, my ds was okay with them in waiting rooms and so on.   Characters and stories in the Intervention materials and chapter books are suitable to older children.

Dancing Bears is designed for similar situations. She could go through Fast Track and move on to book C. 

Hmm...I like the looks of this.  I'm guessing it's okay to use even if we aren't British. :)  Can anyone translate the prices into American dollars?

Hmm...I like the looks of this.  I'm guessing it's okay to use even if we aren't British. :)  Can anyone translate the prices into American dollars?

We use this (and we're US).  Sound Foundations actually has a U.S. flag you can click on and it's priced in US $.  They accept Paypal, too, which is great.  My DD likes Dancing Bears  & Apples & Pears.  

ETA: there are a few times we come across British spelling & pronunciations.   I just explain it to DD and we move on (example:  kerb instead of curb)

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think, before ordering anything, we will probably have her evaluated a bit by someone we know.  It may be something other than a phonics issue.

It could be. But given the poor track record public school has in actually teaching children to read, that would still be my first guess.

My dd8 was an early, largely self-taught reader.  She very strongly leaned toward learning words by rote.  I started an explicit phonics program (SWR) with her when she was 5.5yo.  Even with this intense program, it took over 2 years before she started to attempt to sound words out.  A few kids do this on their own without instruction, but for most of us, it is a skill learned with much practice.  

I have a friend who started SWR with her 14yo who was still struggling with reading, and he is now an English major in college.  Here is her story

I'm using Logic of English with my 9 yo. I meant to use it for spelling, but I didnt realize how bad his reading was until we started in to this.  Its helped a LOT.  Its just one book, so there arent 'levels' aimed at different ages (this is essentials, i guess she has foundations now).  it also covers grammar.  i am madly in love with this curriculum and its making a huge difference!

I like the looks of LOE, too!  Btw, what does SWR stand for?  I haven't looked extensively at it yet, but it looks like LOE covers, grammar, phonics, and spelling?  We already have R&S spelling and grammar for this year.  And a writing program too.  But maybe LOE would be a better fit?  Ahhhhh....so many choices.  I just want what's best for my daughter....

It could be. But given the poor track record public school has in actually teaching children to read, that would still be my first guess.

Yes, I think the Whole Language method is just ingrained in the way her mind works while reading.  

Examples:

1. For this sentence: "Pocahontas had every reason to be happy."   She read "Pocahontas had a very good reason to be happy."

2. She came to the word "afroth" (had not seen that word before)...and could not sound it out.  I think she mostly switched the 'o' and 'r.'

3.  "Help Fred lift the big clock."  She read "Help 'some other name' with his big clock."

4. "Don let the cat sit on his lap."  She read "Don't..."

For longer unfamiliar words, she usually just substitutes a word with the same letters (especially beginning letter, of course).