Menu

What would you recommend for art?

marisolstice

DD1 is 6.5 and has always loved art. I'd like to facilitate her interest but I'm clueless about what would be most effective and fun for her. The options seem to be

1) Outsourcing--having her take an art class(es) at a studio with a teacher and other kids
2) Getting an art course for her to do at home (so far I've looked at Artistic Pursuits, Atelier Art, and Draw Write Now series)
3) Doing nothing, besides continuing to provide materials for her to do what she wants

I need something really easy, open-and-go, and minimal time involvement for me since I don't have any art background and have 3 younger kids and another on the way. Frugal  would be nice but price is not the deciding factor. Art instruction is my main goal; we have other stuff for art appreciation.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

This year we are doing Rod & Staff Artpacs and Home Art Studio DVDs. The Artpacs are extremely affordable and use simple supplies. Home Art Studio DVDs aren't too expensive, but the program uses real art supplies and the cost adds up. 

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/dvds/home-school-art-studio-program/k-5.htm

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=195442

http://www.milestonebooks.com/item/38-60111/

We loved Mark Kistler's online drawing lessons.  If you buy through here:

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/mark-kistler-online/

They are only $40 per year.  You only need pencil and paper, but a $3 sketch pad, some better drawing pencils, a good eraser, and some paper blenders are nice.  There are sample lessons if you click the links to his site, so you can try before you buy.  It can be pretty hands off for you if you show her how to pause the lessons so she has time to do what he says.  I have been amazed at what my kids and even I have produced, and before this we all could only do stick figures.

I bought Atelier ARt this year used and dd especially loves it, ds9 and dd3 generally don't have the patience to completely finish a project but do enjoy the projects.- Ds is just not really into such things and dd3 is just a bit young, she enjoys the part where she is able to participate however. I also have Kistler's book Draw Squad and that works good for both of them and is very and open and go. I just ordered some art books off of the Scholastic dollar days to supplement art but I haven't tested any of them out. DD6 and to a lesser degree dd3 cannot get enough art. I have a huge cabinet of art supplies and they are always making something. I plan to keep an eye out for Home Art Studio next year. Dover coloring books are a big hit for my girls but ds has always hated coloring.

Art With a Purpose (published by Share-A-Care, not R&S :001_smile: ) is inexpensive (each ArtPak is around $10 and easy to teach. It is recommended that the teacher buy her own ArtPak and do the projects herself, so that the children have models and so that she can explain better how to do them. Our own Devon used to highly recommend Art With a Purpose.

Atelier is great. We've also done mark kistlers live classes which are a hoot, but they don't meet at times that fit our schedule, and the live classes require some ability to keep up.

One thing I want to bring up: when I was a kid with no art education I spent hours a day drawing, whatever I wanted.

My kids had these little classes and now they will not draw anything on their own without finding out "how to draw a ..." From a book or youtube video.

We have loved Artistic Pursuits.  You do have to buy a lot of art supplies, but many of them don't get used up and can pass down to the next child (like the brayer and printing ink when you do printmaking).  It's completely open-and-go has, art history folded into the program, and still manages to provide a very wide range of art activities.

• 10 months later...

We're just going through the Usborne Art Treasury book for now. I'm not sure if it's enough for what you're looking for, but it's open & go, inexpensive, and actually gets done around here.

I'm just coming back to say this is what we ended up doing, and it was great. I bought supplies at the beginning of the year, and told DD to pick a project (every other week), and have at it! Very pleased with it.

Now for this year...

Thanks for all the suggestions!