Menu

today's random question: when you go to church in a movie theatre, do you buy a ticket?

katilac

There was a church service going on in one of the theatres when we went to the movies today, and it made me curious: how do they handle people attending church vs going to a movie? Do you buy a ticket, and that's your donation? If you don't buy a ticket, how do they know you aren't going to see a movie instead?

Random question 2: do you go to the movies or to "the show?" I started to type above that there was a church service going on when we went to the show, then I wondered if that's a regional expression.

A few churches here rent out the movie theater for church services.  usually, it;s before the theater opens for movies- they set up signs in the lobby- and peopel just walk in and go to church- in comfy chairs with cupholders! And everyone has a good view of the pastor- not like 'regular' church where you see the back of the guy's head in front of you, and the top of the pastor's head if he's short.

I'd imagine the offering covers the cost of renting the space.

Interesting!  I have never heard of church services being held in a movie theatre. I would love to know how that works :)

My in-laws church was held in a theater. (up until this last Sunday when they moved to their new building)

However, they had the entire theater. So it wasn't an issue.

Interesting question--I have no experience with movie theater church. I'm pretty sure you don't need no ticket you just thank the Lord.

As for the movies vs the show: I usually say movies, though for a long time, living in Europe, I said cinema. The show is still alive and well though. At our local multiplex there is a theme song that goes:  "Gotta go to the show where the good times are".

I can't imagine they would charge you to come! If they did, I don't think I'd go. My son went to a church service once in a movie theater in Sweden. They didn't charge anything, but they did have intermission and they served cappuccinos!

Random question 2: do you go to the movies or to "the show?" I started to type above that there was a church service going on when we went to the show, then I wondered if that's a regional expression.

We go to the movies............ to me, a show is something that is live, occurring in a theater. If someone mentions going to the theater or a show, I assume a live performance. People around here saying they are going to the movies or going to see a movie. I haven't heard that differently in the various places we have lived...