Menu

Science read outloud only curriculum?

joysworld

We are switching our science because what I chose just isn't a good fit at this time.

I want to do read outloud over breakfast, like we do with history. I was thinking about using apologia, but have some questions.

Is it anti evolution and so pro creationism that I can't edit it out when I'm reading it? We are Christians, but accept evolution.

If it pasts the first question my second one can it be done just as a read outloud?

If it doesn't past the first question, or even if it does, I'm open to other suggestions.

We just picked up library books (about 2-3 per week) and read them aloud last year. We got library books because they were beautiful and well written. I do not feel most curriculum books are. This year, I'm making a list of books that each need to be read 3x. 

I'm using the Core Knowledge trade book list as a jumping off point.

It isn't a curriculum, but I think for young children, can be better than a curriculum. I was surprised when my 6-year-old started telling us about how bacteria multiply the other day because of a picture book she'd read a few weeks beforehand.

I will require narration from one of the books each week.

(This isn't the only science for my 3rd grader, but it will be the only science for my 2nd and Ker.)

Emily

I wouldn't try to edit Apologia.  My understanding is that it's so woven in there that you won't even see the biases all the time, IMO.

I would just read library books.  None of the texts for science curricula are good enough to justify doing them, IMO.

Some suggestions to get you started:

* Magic Schoolbus books

* Seymour Simon books

* Sandra Markle books

* Scientist in the Field books

* Basher books

I like the elementary science texts.

I also like just going to the library and getting science books. We read and read. Sometimes discussions lead us to dig deeper in one subject. I also am inclined to send my kids out to draw one thing from nature that they find interesting. From there, we look up more information and learn things I would have never dreamed of teaching. We also do lots of hands on experiments as we have time.

We are doing Apologia Flying this year as most a read aloud.  I'm sure we will do some of the experiments, but not nearly all of them.  We just can't do a lot of hands on stuff. 

Last year what I did was just get lots of science library books and read them.  It was fun and perfectly fine.  My son learned a lot from those books.  Oh, we also watched Magic School Bus DVD's once a week and then got books related to that topic.   :)

I dont see an age range.  I did just library books in 1st grade, tried and gave up on various curriculum in 2nd and 3rd, and for 4th, i just got a basket of books about science for him to read.  He was much happier.  We'll continue with that this year.

I disagree, that you couldn't skip over those parts in the Apologia books if used as a read-aloud.  It's definately not "woven" in.  It's very much flat-out statements in their own sentence.  We used the Swimming Creatures one year.  Statements like "And God created this creature with this feature".    (I'm being random...obviously it named an actual creature :).    So as a read-aloud, you'd simply say "This creature has this feature".    It's not alll the time either.  For example there may be a whole page about a certain whale, and then, in the summary "So now you can see why God gave this creature a dorsal fin".   Easily edited, by "Now you see why this creature has a dorsal fin".      We used the Apologia book because they ARE beautiful.  Visually stunning, at least the Swimming Creatures book is.  We moved on because it turns out, Apologia wasn't very hands on for us.    But if I was just looking for a read-aloud aspect, and frankly, the library becomes extra work for me, I do Apologia (and I'm secular!)

You could use Sassafras Science Adventures http://www.sassafrasscience.com/. They do list living books that you can read along with each chapter, but the main texts are the Sassafras chapter book and the DK Encyclopedia of Animals (for older students) or Kingfisher First Encyclopedia of Animals (for younger students). You wouldn't need to use the other books unless you had time for a library trip or wanted to buy some.