Menu

Working from home? Ideas please

Blessed with seven

I used to tutor for tutor.com and that was a pretty good gig. The pay isn't amazing (starts at $10/hr), but you can pick your own hours and can work up to 30 hours per week. If you can tutor higher math and/or high school science, you can usually get hired right away and earn more money. Other subjects may not be available immediately, but be patient and you'll eventually get in.

I'm considering doing some after school care. I don't want to take care of other people's kids all day, but a few hours in the afternoon would be doable. We just moved, so I'm still trying to get settled, but hopefully I'll be able to pick up a couple kids later in the school year (crossing fingers).

If you do have any temp agencies in your area, it might be worth checking with them to see if there are any work-at-home jobs available.  A temp agency here just found forty permanent employees for a local company, and all the positions are work-at-home call center type jobs.

If you are crafty or able to sew you may want to sell things at local festival flea-markets (our little towns each have one through out the summer.) I had a friend who made $400 in 4 hours from homemade jewelry. You would have some upfront costs, though. Others do homemade soaps and lotions. That may be too much of a learning curve (I haven't tried it because I'm afraid of throwing away to many mess-ups which get costly.) If you have a garden you can sell produce at farmer's markets throughout the summer.

We do eBay full time from home and we love it.  Gives us lots of free time and pays the bills too.

I have another friend who did this and did well.  We are also in a small town if that helps.

I will add that there was someone else who tried and did not do well. The difference was that my friends handled it very professionally and maintained excellent feedback. They also would purchase through ebay for people (like me!) who did not want to set up an ebay account.

Good luck!

I used to work LiveOps.  I'm thinking of going back.  Wish they'd let me have my original rep number back :)

My daughter works for AT&T from home; but her company has set hours and you must work at least 15 (she works 34, I think...feels like forever to her poor mama who misses her something awful).

I'm doing my certification for LiveOps now! :) How did you like it? I was certifying before we moved, but the move got hectic, so I let it go. So, I had to pay the background fee again, but oh well. I'm not a huge fan of the upsells and what not, but the flexible hours are a huge plus. I looked at so many other call center type jobs, many that didn't involve selling, but the hours were just not what I wanted.