Menu

OK all you DISNEY WORLD fanatics... I need your help

Heather in Neverland

We are going to the states next summer to visit. We will be there around 6 weeks. I'd like to include a trip to Disney World for my family but the mere idea of trying to plan it gives me anxiety!

They have actual DVDs you can order to help you plan it!!! That is crazy! Why is it so difficult?

We went once before but it was 10 years ago and we put very little forethought into it. I went online and booked a random hotel nearby, got some park hopper passes, a few plane tickets, and that's it.

But then I read about all of your Disney planning and the months some of you put into it ahead of time and I realize I must have done something wrong!

So I need help. We loved the Magic Kingdom, that big animal place, and the one area that was called MGM but I don't know if it is there any more??? I remember it had a lot cool shows based on movies. We never made it to Epcot but I assume that place is cool too. I also want to add a day at Universal Studios to the trip. I really like that place.

Tips? Tricks? It will be our last time going as a family before my oldest goes to college since we don't get back to the states that often so I want to make it good without it costing the GDP of a small country! Also, as stress-free as possible.

Not too tall of an order is it? :)

We will plan it for you!  Because we Mousejunkies are crazy like that. :D

A few questions:

Month you will be visiting

# of people traveling with you and how many adults vs. how many kids

Do you want to stay on property (I recommend that...others don't)

Will you have a vehicle?

Type of resort you like (Deluxe, moderate, value)

How many days you'll be there.

Do you all like amusement park attractions and rollercoaster type rides?

How do you like to eat when you travel?  Do you enjoy sit-down restaurants?  (Disney's are wonderful!)

The only thing you really MUST plan is if you want a sit-down meal...then you need reservations.  I think the allears website has menus for all the Disney restaurants so you can get an idea of where you might like to go.

I recommend hitting the parks as soon as they open (rope drop) and riding until 12 or 1, then going back to your hotel til 4 or so to swim or relax.  Your feet will thank you!

It is super hot in the summer--like 95-100 and HUMID.  The mid-afternoon break is ideal for beating the heat.

July is super crowded.  If you can go in early June or late August, you can get more done w/o long lines.  In late August they sometimes have discounts like free dining or room discounts.

Find out which rides/shows you don't want to miss and plan to go to those first thing--lines will be shorter.  For example, at Hollywood Studios, you want to get in line (or get a fast pass) for Toy Story Mania right away, as that ride typically has huge lines. 

Use the fast pass system...it's free and a HUGE benefit to saving time waiting in line.

I think staying onsite and using the Magical Express to get to the parks is easiest and also a time saver.  If I stayed offsite, I'd want a hotel with breakfast.

themouseforless is a good website, also the boards at disboards.  I love to plan, that's part of the fun for me!  (We've only been once, but I hope we get to go again someday).

We will plan it for you!  Because we Mousejunkies are crazy like that. :D

A few questions:

Month you will be visiting

# of people traveling with you and how many adults vs. how many kids

Do you want to stay on property (I recommend that...others don't)

Will you have a vehicle?

Type of resort you like (Deluxe, moderate, value)

How many days you'll be there.

Do you all like amusement park attractions and rollercoaster type rides?

How do you like to eat when you travel?  Do you enjoy sit-down restaurants?  (Disney's are wonderful!)

Month you will be visiting- mid to late June. We are flexible.

# of people traveling with you and how many adults vs. how many kids Me, my dh, and 3 kids (ages 16, 10, and 4 at that time)

Do you want to stay on property (I recommend that...others don't) I don't think I have an opinion on that. :)  I guess it depends on how much it jacks the price up? If you don't stay on property, do nearby hotels have shuttles to the parks? I'm not really sure what to do about this.

Will you have a vehicle? Probably not. I think we will fly there.

Type of resort you like (Deluxe, moderate, value) Affordable but not yucky.

How many days you'll be there. I'd like to go for a week. Is that the right amount of time?

Do you all like amusement park attractions and rollercoaster type rides? Actually we don't do true rollercoaster rides, the scary kind. My dh can't because of his neck injury. But we can do the movie rides that are not rollercoasters. We love the shows! I still remember this batman show on water and this Indiana Jones show that was really cool.

How do you like to eat when you travel?  Do you enjoy sit-down restaurants?  (Disney's are wonderful!) Sure! But we aren't picky. I'd like to do one of those Princess character breakfast things for my daughter if possible but mostly we want to eat economically.

Month you will be visiting- mid to late June. We are flexible.  The earlier in June you go, the better.  Crowd wise and heat wise.

# of people traveling with you and how many adults vs. how many kids Me, my dh, and 3 kids (ages 16, 10, and 4 at that time) You will either need a deluxe or another room that can accomodate five people.  With no vehicle, I recommend you stay on property.  You can look into any of the deluxe resorts, Port Orleans Alligator Bayou rooms, the cabins at Ft. Wilderness, or a suite at Art of Animation.  Go to disney.com (it'll redirect you to the correct site), click on parks and travel, click on disney world, then click on places to stay to view the rooms.  Each of those rooms can sleep five.  The deluxe resorts will cost you.  Port Orleans is gorgeous, it's a moderate, and it has a trundle bed your four year old can sleep in comfortably.  The cabins at Ft. Wilderness are also nice and considered a moderate.  They sleep six...a queen in the bedroom with bunk beds and a double Murphy bed in the living room.  They also have a full size kitchen.  The suites at Art of Animation are a value, but they are really nice.  We've stayed in the Nemo suites and we loved it!  There is a bedroom with a double bed and private bathroom, then a sofa bed in the living room, and a really comfy pull down Murphy bed that is disguised as a table during the day.  There is a second full sized bath and a mini kitchen (microwave, mini-fridge, sink).  The pool is the biggest on Disney property, and we loved the food court.

Do you want to stay on property (I recommend that...others don't) I don't think I have an opinion on that. :)  I guess it depends on how much it jacks the price up? If you don't stay on property, do nearby hotels have shuttles to the parks? I'm not really sure what to do about this. Unless you want the expense of renting a car, I would stay at WDW.  The Magical Express will shuttle you back and forth from the airport for free, and Disney transportation will get you back and forth to the parks.  We never rent a car.

Will you have a vehicle? Probably not. I think we will fly there.

Type of resort you like (Deluxe, moderate, value) Affordable but not yucky. Pay special attention to the moderate and value choices above.  There is nothing out and out yucky at Disney, so don't worry.

How many days you'll be there. I'd like to go for a week. Is that the right amount of time? Yep, that's great.  We stay at least ten days...but we're insane. :D

Do you all like amusement park attractions and rollercoaster type rides? Actually we don't do true rollercoaster rides, the scary kind. My dh can't because of his neck injury. But we can do the movie rides that are not rollercoasters. We love the shows! I still remember this batman show on water and this Indiana Jones show that was really cool. Then you're going to the right place.  Be sure to add the "Water Parks and more" option to your tickets, because Disney has amazing waterparks and they are perfect for a mid-week break.

How do you like to eat when you travel?  Do you enjoy sit-down restaurants?  (Disney's are wonderful!) Sure! But we aren't picky. I'd like to do one of those Princess character breakfast things for my daughter if possible but mostly we want to eat economically. Look into the regular Disney dining plan.  We always get that.  You get one sit-down meal, one counter service, and one snack each day for each person, for as many nights as you're staying.  When it comes time to make  your dining ressies (180 days out), I have lots of suggestions. :lol:   The best Princess character meal is in Akershus, the Norway restaurant in Epcot.  It's also the most reasonably priced.  There is one in the castle in MK, but it's pricey and overrated IMHO.  You can also meet Cinderella, Prince Charming, Madame Tremaine and both step-sisters for dinner at 1900 Park Fare in the Grand Floridian.  The step-sisters alone are worth the price of the meal.

Go to www.easywdw.com  www.touringplans.com  www.disboards.com for more info.  You need to study for this trip like it's your job. :D  But since I LOVE planning Disney vacations, I'm thrilled to help!  And there are others here who will chime in as well.  :D

Oh, and don't let the prices you see on the Disney site right now freak you out.  There will be discounts...just not any right now.  You will start seeing them a few months before your trip, and you can call (407) W-DISNEY and they will make the necessary price adjustments to your package.  What  you will see now on the site is rack rate...and it's pricey.  Expect a 20% discount from what's there now.

I'm like you, don't plan and just go.... We stay at a condo in Kissimmee (Orange Lake). But we drive there so have a car. I'm sure they have a shuttle though. And we eat counter service. We went in January before dd19 went back to college for a day at Epcot. We loved the counter service Moroccan place for dinner. There is another condo closer to Disney that everyone here recommends. I LOVE having a kitchen and the food we like and the ability to cook simple things and have snacks in the frig. AND the 2nd bedroom and bath. Makes for quicker getting ready for bed and quicker getting out in the morning. As kids get older, it isn't fun to all be crammed into one room at a hotel!

Check crowd calendars and plan accordingly.  They will even have recommended parks for each day.  I really felt like it helped even being there at a busy time.

Understand the fastpass system and use it.  Go in and ride the "main attraction" first thing and pull a fastpass for it for later in the day.  Then you can ride at least twice without standing in line at all.  The park is slowest first thing in the morning and late at night.  Plan some shows or an afternoon break for the middle of the day.

There are some iphone apps that show wait times.  

Buy some dollar store ponchos and take them in.  Then when it pours rain, you can just keep on truckin'.

We didn't buy park hoppers but instead stayed for eight days and would stay the whole day in the park we selected for the day.  You lose a lot of time traveling if you want to park hop.  However, others say they don't enjoy disney without the park hopper option.  

They're in the process now of rolling out FP+ (FastPass Plus), where you will reserve your fastpasses from home 60 days in advance of your trip for your top 3 rides.

So you'll want to have that taken care of, in addition to any dining reservations.

For us -- we pick where we're staying (on-site or off-site, which resort, etc.) and how many days we're staying and then match up the tickets with the correct # of days.  I usually do this 9 months or so in advance.  Then, 6 months before the trip, the park hours for the planned visit are released and we decide which parks we're going to on which days and what sit-down meals we're going to reserve.  That used to be the end of the planning!  Now with FP+, we'll have to plan rides 2 months out as well (normally I just picked a park -- i.e., Tuesday we'll do Magic Kingdom -- I didn't plan it down to "We'll ride the Haunted Mansion at 10am" -- this will be new!)

Hope this helps!

266 days away from our 4th trip!  :D

These are awesome suggestions!

Ok, give it to me straight... How much should I expect to spend on this not including plane tickets. Assume staying on site in a moderate hotel for one week. I know it is hard to be exact but maybe just a ballpark figure?

For the whole shebang?  Tickets, food and hotel?  I priced it out for you on Disney's site.  June 9th-15th, staying at Port Orleans Riverside, regular dining plan, 7 day tickets (no park hoppers, no waterparks) is $4476.33.  Add more for your souvenirs.  We usually budget $500 or so.  Unless I'm buying a Disney Dooney & Bourke bag. ;)

We are going to Disney World in October for their homeschool days. We got the Homeschool day special price park tickets. The 5 day premium package which includes hopper tickets and tickets to the waterparks, for $209.40 per person. So that was a total of $837.60 for the four of us.

We have been there many times and we have stayed off property and on property. This trip we will be staying off property at a cheap hotel that has free shuttles to the parks. We are staying 7 nights at the Rodeway Inn and it's only $282.72 for the entire week. It's close to the parks and a friend of mine stayed there last year and said it was good enough. Nothing fancy at all, but clean and safe. Last year we stayed in Disney at the Old Key West resort and it was gorgeous, but expensive. Way too expensive for the amount of time we spent in the hotel, which was sleeping and showering.

Price is a factor this year and we need to go cheap, or we won't be able to go. The hotel has a shuttle and once you are in the park you can take the monorail to get to any of the other parks. We drive down (we are in SC) so we do have our car, but we park it and do not use it. We take advantage of the free shuttles.

https://www.studentguest.com/homeschooldays/ticketselect.php

October is a great time to go weather-wise. It is not crowded and the lines are short.

I bought these shirts for my girls to wear:

http://www.shopgreatproducts.com/disneyschooling/

We have never used a dining plan before.

Will you have a car?

If you are willing to get yourself to the parks, you can get a 2 bedroom condo for that price (or cheaper!)

That is what we do.  We have paid as little as $149, but those days are gone.  Typical cost now is about $250/wk plus a $20 processing fee.  That is it though, no taxes or additional fees.

Dawn

We are going to Disney World in October for their homeschool days. We have been there many times and we have stayed off property and on property. This trip we will be staying off property at a cheap hotel that has free transportation to the parks. We are staying 7 nights at the Rodeway Inn and it's only $282.72 for the entire week. It's close to the parks and a friend of mine stayed there last year and said it was good enough. Nothing fancy at all, but clean and safe. Last year we stayed in Disney at the Old Key West resort and it was gorgeous, but expensive. Way too expensive for the amount of time we spent in the hotel, which was sleeping and showering.

We got the Homeschool day special price park tickets. The 5 day premium package which includes hopper tickets and tickets to the waterparks, for $209.40 per person. So that was a total of $837.60 for the four of us.

https://www.studentguest.com/homeschooldays/ticketselect.php

We have never used a dining plan before.

EasyWDW.com has free crowd calendars.

You will also want to get yourself a 2013 copy of The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World."

Dawn

Check crowd calendars and plan accordingly.  They will even have recommended parks for each day.  I really felt like it helped even being there at a busy time.

Understand the fastpass system and use it.  Go in and ride the "main attraction" first thing and pull a fastpass for it for later in the day.  Then you can ride at least twice without standing in line at all.  The park is slowest first thing in the morning and late at night.  Plan some shows or an afternoon break for the middle of the day.

There are some iphone apps that show wait times.  

Buy some dollar store ponchos and take them in.  Then when it pours rain, you can just keep on truckin'.

We didn't buy park hoppers but instead stayed for eight days and would stay the whole day in the park we selected for the day.  You lose a lot of time traveling if you want to park hop.  However, others say they don't enjoy disney without the park hopper option.  

Check out the Disney YES program (individual program).  If there are classes for your dates, your kids go for about half price.  The adults are still full price.  You would probably be looking at around $1,600 for combined tickets for 5 of you there.

Stay off-site at a place like Bonnet Creek for under $100/night for a 2 bedroom.  It gets rave reviews and you can book through VacationStrategy.com.

Rent a car for around $200 with tax for the week.

Buy some of your own food, particularly breakfasts and maybe some sandwich things.

Eat off site some.

Under $3,000/wk.

The thing is, things at Disney change all the time, so PLANNING is essential.  You can get the more bang for your buck by planning.    You can even have someone ELSE plan it for you.  I think TourGuideMike.com is about $25 but he is an expert and will tell you which parks are least crowded which days, which rides to do first, etc.....

Or, you can go to EasyWDW and plan it out for yourself.

Dawn

Will you have a car?

If you are willing to get yourself to the parks, you can get a 2 bedroom condo for that price (or cheaper!)

That is what we do.  We have paid as little as $149, but those days are gone.  Typical cost now is about $250/wk plus a $20 processing fee.  That is it though, no taxes or additional fees.

Dawn

Aren't the parking fees somewhere around $15 per park? That would add another $100 or so for a week.

Yes, but for us, we can easily save that in food costs by eating some of our own food.  Heck, eating two lunches in the parks is over $100.

And there is no way I can enjoy staying in a small hotel room with 3 large boys.  That wouldn't be a relaxing vacation for me.

Aren't the parking fees somewhere around $15 per park? That would add another $100 or so for a week.

Not sure I have much to add.  We have stayed moderate and value(Port Orleans, Pop Century,All Star Music-family suite)  Personally, I like the family suites--although our family has grown out of them!--  The ones at Music are less expensive than Art of Animation and Art of Animation is newer and is sometimes out of the bigger discount range due to popularity(they don't need to fill rooms, so discounts are not as available) My kids actually like the value resorts the best.  It feels more like Disney to them.  They are all clean(not yucky at ALL!!)

I know it sounds crazy, but my husband would never agree to stay off property.  He says it "messes with the magic"  hehe  I know a lot of people have a wonderful time staying off site. 

We have always had the dining plan.  We love it. I don't think you can get this unless you are staying at a Disney resort though(*I think*) The cost of food is staggering there.  The dining plan is a great deal for our family.  We love the table service restaurants. It's how we rest during the day.:)  Some recommend going back to your resort in the middle of the day.  It never went over well with my family!  We are there to hang out in the parks,, not at the resort.  We do swim before bed because it helps everyone wind down.

We fly.  I love feeling like I'm on vacation from the minute I get on the plane(Disney takes care of luggage, busses)  On our last visit, I ordered groceries to be delivered to our suite(I used Garden Grocer)  and they were in our room when we arrived.  I got milk,juice,water bottles, cereal,instant oatmeal,coffee creamer, fruit, snack crackers,, etc.  It was great.  The delivery was something like $20.  The shopper even used a coupon!  This really helped because we did not buy breakfast in the parks.(except at Starring Rolls.mmmm)

Disney is NOT relaxing for us, but it is a load of FUN!!

Oh!  And remember, it is practically free to get park tickets after 7 days.  Our family usually stays 10 or 11.