Menu

ER Visit for a UTI?

SBMama

My DD6 is being treated for her 4th UTI since March.  She is on day 8 of her antibiotics, but she started having accidents again yesterday.  It seems like she doesn't even know that she is going.  :(  I called the pediatrician's office today.  They couldn't get her in, and the nurse said I should take her to the ER.  Does this really warrant an ER visit?  She has an appointment to see a pediatric urologist next Monday.  She doesn't seem uncomfortable or painful, and she does not have a fever.  She may be a little puny and tired, but otherwise seems fine.  

I think the concern is it turning into a kidney infection. Do you have an urgent care as an option?

I would try an urgent care first, if you can. They can then direct you there if it is warranted.

I love our urgent care. The doctor even called my son twice to check on him. :)

Also, ask your doctor about cranberry capsules. I take two daily. Cranberry juice is acidic and causes more trouble, but the capsules keep a healthy urinary tract.

Also, teach her to wipe from front to back -- never back to front. Our ureter is much shorter than a man's/boy's so bacteria doesn't have as far to travel. We always keep baby wipes in the bathroom to make clean-up easier. Personally, I findit easier to wipe the areas separately after a bm with a baby wipe -- unscented. I also try to urinate one more time after a bm to clear out the tract -- leaning slightly forward while doing so.

Finally, make sure she stays hydrated. Drinking more and urinating more flushes bacteria out the tract.

People go to ERs for much less than that. ERs are usually more expensive than urgent cares, but can also get results to tests faster. Also, IV antibiotics can be given in ERs if needed.

I would really want a culture and sensitivity done on my DD if this was happening to make sure she is getting the right antibiotic. Has your doctor done that?

Also, has your DD been tested for ureteral reflux?