Menu

What Craft thing are you doing this week? week 1

PrincessMommy

Ok ladies give some cute baby things to crochet (free patterns, gender neutral) and things for the holidays. I need a gift card holder idea too, last year I made Snowmen (pattern from bernat) and regular envelopes, I'm thinking snowflakes this year or something I can put a little camouflage on for my nephews.

Ok ladies give some cute baby things to crochet (free patterns, gender neutral) and things for the holidays. I need a gift card holder idea too, last year I made Snowmen (pattern from bernat) and regular envelopes, I'm thinking snowflakes this year or something I can put a little camouflage on for my nephews.

Because I have crafting ADD, I just started making this for a friend of my sister's little girl.  I am basing off of a standard granny square since the actual pattern is in a foreign language that Google translate didn't do a great job with.

This week it's mostly baby things. This morning I finished making two bibs with ties on them (so ridiculously cute!) and am about to start making a couple of large, flannel receiving blankets, both for a baby shower on Saturday. I have two more receiving blankets to sew and this hoodie to knit for another friend who's due in October. My take-along small project is a pair of socks for DH. And last night I also finished knitting a ponytail hat (hat with a hole in the back for a ponytail to go through) for my mom.

Apparently I'm feeling very crafty this week :)

Total squee!! on the bibs with ties on. Love them. Not enough to have another baby though. Maybe a friend will do me a favor soon.

I am utterly sidelined, searching for a racing stripes and flames embroidery pattern for my hot pads... Thanks a lot Fairfarmhand.

Total squee!! on the bibs with ties on. Love them. Not enough to have another baby though. Maybe a friend will do me a favor soon.

I am utterly sidelined, searching for a racing stripes and flames embroidery pattern for my hot pads... Thanks a lot Fairfarmhand.

I agree.  Those are so adorable!  I sent the link to my daughter, who is the sewer in the family.  She just had her first (a boy). 

I was able to work a little more on my shawl today.  I'm toying with wearing the natural one with my Mother of the Groom dress (if I ever find one).  I've managed to wind 204 out of 296 threads (3yrds long) on the board.  Here's a photo of one chain (50 threads)

9462911222_5481081577.jpg

Any of these call to you?

10 Free Patterns for Baby Toys 

10 Free Patterns for Baby Booties

10 more Free Patterns for Baby Booties

I've made mini socks for gift card holders. I think I cast on 32 or 36, worsted weight but that's all I can remember about it. I don't have any notes on what I did.

This Pinwheel Purse looks interesting too.

Oops--I just noticed you said crochet. These little Christmas stockings might work for card holders. As far as gender neutral baby gifts, what about amigurumi toys? Lion Brand has some cute patterns and I'll bet you could find others on Ravelry.

okay, I'll go first..  I began winding a new warp for a shawl I want to make (for me).  It's called a Budget Shawl using Aunt Lydia's size 10 Bamboo yarn you can often find at local craft/hobby stores.   I'll post a photo of one chain of warp once I get the photo's uploaded to Flickr.

Can you explain this craft to me...I'm a self learner and it sounds interesting.  Thanks!!

Can you explain this craft to me...I'm a self learner and it sounds interesting.  Thanks!!

Sure.  I'm mostly a self-taught (with the help of books and videos!) weaver too.   Here's a short clip from a "How to Warp your Loom" video that gives you a basic overview:  The first 40 secs is where you see the most.

http://www.weavingtoday.com/media/p/3710.aspx

I'm teaching myself how to sew, have rudimentary knitting skills (I will get better!), make soap, make lotion bars, and if I'm super stressed I like to freehand draw architectural plans. I used to paint but I haven't done that in a long time...

Anyway, I have a couple of shirts that I need to finish up but my parents and siblings are coming for a week long visit on Wednesday so that will probably get pushed off a couple of weeks.  I also need to find room in the budget for more beeswax and essential oils so I can do up a new batch of lotion bars.  I also need to start thinking about christmas presents because I want to make some soaps and sew a few things for presents...

I do felty crafty doll stuff.

I have a rising 1st grader that wants dolls just like big sister got... maybe this year is the year i get one done for each letter of the alphabet.

here is one of my very first ones... they are fancier now.

http://craftyincoffeeland.blogspot.com/2007/05/sankta-lucia-was-our-first-saints-day.html

oh and i have a bunch of duct tape weapons to repair.

very nicely done! 

Just working on my sky scarf, but I'm feeling the need to get some socks started before cool weather sets in.

What a neat idea.

I'm so not a crafter, but love reading & seeing all the cool projects you gals do.

I think the only crafty thing I do is wrap neat presents (I just can't make the stuff that goes inside) or do stuff w/ cool fonts. LOL. Fwiw, I really like the How About Orange blog, as she often has fun printables, neat fonts, origami & wrapping ideas, etc....

I've made mini socks for gift card holders. I think I cast on 32 or 36, worsted weight but that's all I can remember about it. I don't have any notes on what I did.

This Pinwheel Purse looks interesting too.

Oops--I just noticed you said crochet. These little Christmas stockings might work for card holders. As far as gender neutral baby gifts, what about amigurumi toys? Lion Brand has some cute patterns and I'll bet you could find others on Ravelry.

That pinwheel purse looks so neat! I might have to give that a try. And thanks for pointing me back to Ravelry. I haven't been there in a while.

Yesterday, dd and I started making lacy/mesh scarves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn3UZrcX3ok

I am a terrible knitter, but these are actually quite easy to make.  They take about 1 ball of yarn.  We plan to make them for Christmas gifts.

I'm finishing a full quilt.  It is a Turning 20 full size.  Everything is done but the hand stiching binding.  It is 100 degrees and I just have a hard time curling up with a quilt to hand stitch.

Dd is working on embroidery for a small quilt. 

I've got a table runner embroidery project going.  This one has been going for a while, it is my "go to project" for waiting rooms, music lessons, whatever I have to sit for a time. 

Dd is also crocheting a shawl.  Oldest dd and I enjoy making spiral bracelets. 

I'll  add those to the paper quilled (not quilted) snow flakes I've made before and saved, and I've been experimenting with mini-thangles to make a series of quilted ornaments out of reds and whites. My middle daughter will make a fabulous, incredibly complicated origami project in silver paper for the top that she's been experimenting with.  My oldest daughter is coming up with some sort of paper designed ornaments and I'll come up with something for my youngest to do to add to the felt cardinals she made last time it was my turn and the other ornament projects we've made over the years.

I have to thank you for mentioning quilling!  I've never heard of it before, started googling it, and now I'm in love with it!  I've ordered a beginner's kit and can't wait to start!  I'm so excited to have a new craft and I'm going to be making snowflakes for the tree too, maybe monogrammed names, and I have a lot of other projects in my mind because of this.  I've looked at youtube videos, on-line tutorials, pictures, and in general anything about quilling since I first saw your post.  Thanks again!  :hurray: