Menu

Who here as read the Mood Cure?

PrincessMommy

I've been reading it off and on for about 2 weeks.   I'd love to discuss with some people their positive and negative experiences. 

I came out as a lot Type 1 and all the way Type 2 ( think I checked every single question).  Honestly, I feel like I live in a constant brain-fog.  I've been trying to remember to take some of the supplements I already had on hand that were recommended, but I keep forgetting.  I've also had some trouble with the 5-htp... it worked great at first but now I cannot get to sleep at night.  I think I may try to take it earlier in the day- but again I keep forgetting.  Last night I took my final dose just after dinner (rather than at bedtime).. and I was wide awake at 1am.  usually I get to sleep just fine at night, but then wake up several times and have trouble getting back to sleep, so that was unusual for me.  The last couple of times I've taken the 5-htp this has happened.

My college-aged daughter is Type 1-2-4.  She hasn't started taking anything yet. 

One thing I'm wondering is how to decide which type to address first. 

I have read one very similar, The Anti-Anxiety Food Solution, and found it really helpful. I added a few amino-acid supplements that offered a great deal of help to issues I've dealt with. I had the same experience with 5-htp and I hear it's common for it to offer more short-term help. I found better success using Tryptophan for sleeping and also GABA helped me sleep as well somewhat, in that it helped me stop over thinking at night. The food suggestions were helpful too though I haven't yet fully incorporated them. I am away from home, unable to see my other notes for more comments. I do have the Mood Cure on my shelf as well, the other book focused a bit more on a smaller range I believe but some information is very similar (so says the author).

It's been 7 months since using anything though because I started going to the gym, first thing in the morning, 3-5 days a week and that pretty much solved my mood and sleep issues completely. After suffering with depression/bipolar for many, many, many years and feeling so stuck with medication or supplement solutions, I can't convey how awesome this change has been for me - life changing, indeed, to have a happy and level life back.

Debbi, I can't really answer to this thread, since I haven't read it. However, I read her other book "The Diet Cure" a few years ago and took all the supplements I was supposed to take. They really helped me with my cravings for a long time. I think they still would if I'd only be more vigilant. I have wanted to get "The Mood Cure", but have never gotten around to it. This thread might inspire me to do so, as well as to take 5-HTP and GABA Calm more regularly. I've never had a problem with either. I open the 5-HTP capsule and pour the contents under my tongue. I don't eat or drink anything for 20 or so minutes before and after. Mind you, I have to say that 5-HTP has helped me more with cravings and less with sleep issues.For sleep issues the following have been more helpful and I rotate them because I feel that my body gets desensitized to anything after a while. I don't always take sleep supplements. 

L-Tryptophan

Melatonin - varying doses - anywhere from 3-18 mg

Valerian

Herbal Teas

Have you visited her site? There might be more info there. 

I just looked through my notes and found some info, including specific info on 5-HTP. Copying and pasting here. Good reminder for me also. Just want to mention that magnesium is so often deficient nowadays in most people, particularly women. It's one of the most important supplements. 

It’s best to not be overly dependent on any on supplement, that is, to try to avoid taking any supplement every single day, to rotate them; or, better yet, to take a break every month from each particular supplement, to rotate them monthly. Otherwise, your body will become desensitized and the supplement may very well be less effective. 

Magnesium – Think of magnesium as the relaxation mineral.

Helps maintain healthy melatonin levels

Marvelous for just about everything including periodic nocturnal awakenings when it can coax you gently back to sleep

Take equal amounts of calcium and magnesium. For most people on a healthy diet, 500 mg of each supplement should be enough.

If you have symptoms of magnesium deficiency – if you’re feeling edgy, have muscle cramps, suffer insomnia, crave chocolate, or notice increased urination, adjust your calcium-magnesium ratio, so that you’re taking at least as much magnesium or—ideally—twice as much magnesium as calcium.

400-1200 mg daily of Magnesium is helpful but use according to bowel tolerance. Your body knows how much magnesium you can tolerate from bowel tolerance – take as much magnesium as your bowels can tolerate

Add 100 mg of magnesium to your nutritional supplements, and increase it by 100 mg every few days until your stools are soft, but not uncomfortably loose.

Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption – preferably more at night

Calcium, magnesium, and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. Minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

Most minerals are best taken as a team with other minerals in a multi-mineral formula.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

Hops reduces hot flashes, anxiety, and helps muscles relax

30-120 mg at bedtime

Has to be dried to have any medicinal effect

Often used in combination w/valerian and lemon balm.

Passionflower – calming agent

90-360 mg at bedtime

Valerian – reduces time it takes you to fall asleep and improves the quality of sleep you get, without next-day sedation

Take 400 to 800 mg in divided doses throughout the day, or try a time-release version, because if you wake up in the middle of the night, you can fall back to sleep easily and you don’t feel groggy in the morning

In some people, valerian causes wakefulness. If that’s the case, take it during the day to reduce overall anxiety.

Better yet, try a combination of Hops, Passionflower, and Valerian

Melatonin is a natural hormone that promotes sound sleep.

Acts as an antioxidant - early in life, the body produces an abundant supply, but as we age, production steadily declines

Helpful for more difficult insomnia

Decreases anxiety by stimulating GABA (a brain chemical that calms you down)

WHY WE NEED MELATONIN

When we stay up late at night or work night shifts, we keep our body from producing melatonin. This increases the risk of hypertension, heart disease, migraines, diabetes, obesity, and cancer. Studies show women night-shift workers have a 500% higher risk of breast cancer and male night shift workers have a 50% increased risk of colorectal and bone cancer. While not realizing it, many people increase this risk with inconsistent sleep/wake schedules - late night studying or partying or shift work schedules.

After the age of 45, melatonin levels decrease.

Melatonin is the only hormone supplement that’s safe to self-medicate.

GUIDELINES

• Start with 1 mg just before bedtime. Take 2 hours or less before bedtime. If this is not effective, gradually increase dosage. Melatonin dosages vary from individual to individual ~ and most do not need the highest dose. Ease into melatonin in increments. Some take up to 20 and even 40 mg.
  • Do not take melatonin every single night – a few nights a week
  • Do not take melatonin during the day.
  • When you awaken after melatonin-assisted sleep, you should feel refreshed – not tired or groggy. If you do experience grogginess, reduce the dosage.
  • Do not give to children
  • If you wake up in the middle of the night, you can take another 1-5 mg.
  • The time release version is best for people who don't just have trouble falling asleep but have trouble with waking up in the middle of the night.

Hyland's Calms Forte

L-Tryptophan helps mitigate insomnia and depression by boosting serotonin and melatonin levels in the brain.

May help cure night-time waking

500-1000 mg before bed

GABA CALM – take sublingually before bedtime

Try to avoid eating or drinking anything for 20 minutes before and after taking this

5-HTP – can take up to 6 weeks for it to start working

200-400 mg at bedtime – take sublingually

Be cautious about taking this if you’re on anti-depressants

Very helpful for insomnia and depression

This amino acid is used by the body to produce melatonin.

5-HTP is a great supplement that works really well for many people. But like most supplements, nothing works for everyone all the time because our bodies are all different. But I would definitely say that 5-HTP is a great supplement to look into. When taken in the evening before bed on an empty stomach, it can really help with the quality and duration of sleep. It works to increase the duration of REM sleep, which increases the overall quality of sleep. It also works really well to help relieve anxiety and depression, as it increases serotonin levels.

B Complex – 25-50 mg daily – helps to promote a restful state. Good for relieving stress.

L-theanine improves deep sleep and helps maintain a calm alertness during the day. Take 50-200 mg at bedtime.

Can also be used for daytime anxiety

Passionflower tea (two to three cups) or Passionflower powder in capsules (2,000-5,000 mg): Passionflower is usually used for calming an excited nervous system.

Chamomile tea (two to three cups): Chamomile is a time-proven, effective, calming herb that can be safely used by children and adults alike. Chamomile tea is used regularly worldwide for insomnia, irritability, and restlessness.

Reishi Mushroom tea (two to three cups) or Reishi mycelium powder in capsules (2500-5000 mg): Reishi is well-known in Chinese medicine to great feelings of "well being" and spiritual calm. This is a personal favorite. Reishi mushroom is also high-regarded for assisting our immune system health.

St. John's Wort tea (two to three cups) or St. John's Wort extract powder in capsules (300-1000 mg): This common, yellow-flowered herb has become an important part of the new surge of interest in natural medicine. It has a long history of use dating back to the ancient Greeks. Scientific research has demonstrated that it can help relieve chronic insomnia and mild depression. Because this herb can sensitize the skin to sunlight, take it in the evening after the Sun has set.

Negin, thanks for that detailed response.

I didn't start taking 5htp for sleep - I took it to help with depression.   I do have trouble sleeping, but my pattern was different than the issues that 5htp caused.   I take Valerian from time to time too.  She talks about Magnesium too and I think I'll start taking that.  I've read what foods are high in M. and I don't normally eat that.  I may start drinking Almond Milk more regularly - as I can't eat almonds. 

Just like I don't want to be taking prescription drugs everyday for the rest of my life, I don't want to be chained to supplements either... so I agree with you.   Dr. Ross does say that 5htp should not be used forever and we should stop taking it once our symptoms abate.

To everyone else... I haven't read the Diet Cure.  I think I'm going to need to check it out, but I feel like I need to get a handle on this book first.

I looked at both yesterday and they are very similar. You can get all the information from either book. I am a bit wary of some of it ("changes in minutes") and I noticed that Julia Ross is not a doctor. But my own life experience lines up with her nutrition recs. I may try some of the supplements. I would love to find a real life clinician who is savvy with this stuff.

I looked at both yesterday and they are very similar. You can get all the information from either book. I am a bit wary of some of it ("changes in minutes") and I noticed that Julia Ross is not a doctor. But my own life experience lines up with her nutrition recs. I may try some of the supplements. I would love to find a real life clinician who is savvy with this stuff.

no, she is not a doctor, which always gives me pause with a book of this nature.  But, she is a psychologist with 15-20years clinical experience.    That's definitely better than someone who is a fitness guru writing a book like this.

I'd like to find someone local who knows this stuff too. I feel like I need a degree myself just to get a handle on what may or may not work for my issues.

I also didn't like some ways she presents her findings in the book (like calling all the catecholamines "cats" instead - that was SO distracting and unprofessional, IMHO).

I haven't, but I've been curious enough about it to have had it on my amazon wishlist for several years. :p

I have used dietary changes to kick SAD. That was interesting.

I want to know how Rosie kicked SAD but I don't know how to quote or anything.

Rosie, you're being paged. ;)

I haven't read the Mood Cure, but it so happens that I was researching 5HTP just last night and it was mentioned that it is very important to use it only for a maximum of 12 weeks. I also saw that it is used as an appetite suppressant - I need the opposite, so decided against it. So for now, I'm sticking to St. John's Wort and a couple other things. I will have to go back upthread and read about the other supplements that I skimmed past.

I tried exercise. 6 months of forcing myself several times/week. It helped a little, but I STILL had to force it. Now, I'm trying the opposite angle - supplements first, then hopefully exercise will be more enjoyable.

Rosie, you're being paged. ;)

I haven't read the Mood Cure, but it so happens that I was researching 5HTP just last night and it was mentioned that it is very important to use it only for a maximum of 12 weeks. I also saw that it is used as an appetite suppressant - I need the opposite, so decided against it. So for now, I'm sticking to St. John's Wort and a couple other things. I will have to go back upthread and read about the other supplements that I skimmed past.

I tried exercise. 6 months of forcing myself several times/week. It helped a little, but I STILL had to force it. Now, I'm trying the opposite angle - supplements first, then hopefully exercise will be more enjoyable.

I hate exercise too... hate it.   Definitely don't feel like forcing myself either.  I used to have a  SAD light (actually called a Happy Light) and  I need to get back into the habit.   She even mentions using it in the summer for those who don't go outside and/or exercise much.  That would be me on both counts.

Look up serotonin deficiency, Guys? Or get Negin to post her long list of info about it :p

For me, it was a matter of sleeping at the right times and changing eating patterns.

We make most of our serotonin between dawn and 2 hours after, which, naturally, is the time mammas of small kids are never allowed to sleep. So, if it is possible, it is better for women to be up a little later and sleep past dawn. With men, dopamine deficiency is more of a problem, and they ought to be sleeping between 10pm and midnight.

We'd been over carbing at breakfast and lunch time, so switching from rice or oat porridge to some kind of dal helped considerably. It took a few months before I noticed the difference, but I'd been getting touches of SAD on overcast days in summer, and by winter I had none at all. The dietary change also improved the resident bloke's brain function, which stopped when he stopped eating that way and went back to carby breakfasts and lunches. So, protein heavy breakfasts and lunches, then a carb heavy dinner so I'd sleep through the night.

Look up serotonin deficiency, Guys? Or get Negin to post her long list of info about it :p

For me, it was a matter of sleeping at the right times and changing eating patterns.

We make most of our serotonin between dawn and 2 hours after, which, naturally, is the time mammas of small kids are never allowed to sleep. So, if it is possible, it is better for women to be up a little later and sleep past dawn. With men, dopamine deficiency is more of a problem, and they ought to be sleeping between 10pm and midnight.

We'd been over carbing at breakfast and lunch time, so switching from rice or oat porridge to some kind of dal helped considerably. It took a few months before I noticed the difference, but I'd been getting touches of SAD on overcast days in summer, and by winter I had none at all. The dietary change also improved the resident bloke's brain function, which stopped when he stopped eating that way and went back to carby breakfasts and lunches. So, protein heavy breakfasts and lunches, then a carb heavy dinner so I'd sleep through the night.

Wow, Rosie, this actually sounds like a reasonable, doable plan. My kids are getting older and it should be easier this winter to sleep a bit later. I can go for protein early in the day and carbs later... I will have to give these ideas a whirl. Thanks!

Rosie,  the book talks a lot about serotonin deficiency.   This is why she recommends 5htp.   I came in as completely Type 2 (low thyroid) and mostly Type 1 (dark cloud - serotonin deficient).  Since I'm having trouble sleeping with 5htp I've decided to mostly focus on the recommendations for low thyroid with St. John's Wort thrown in. 

The copy I have is from 2004.  Does anyone know if she's updated it since then.  A lot can happen with our knowledge of the medical/nutritional field in 10years.

Since you mentioned depression, here are my notes that I've taken. They come from a few different sources and they are CUSTOM for MY NEEDS. So I don't have contra-indications that don't apply to me or anything that doesn't apply to me -- so it's not "complete" notes but you may find it helpful. I took supplements for lethargic-don't-want-to-do-anything depression and mania, my mania is typically of a very angry sort and not the happy-happy-destructive-high. So I have supplements that both boost depression and also calm as well and also did a balance to make sure I could sleep, insominia was a major problem.

Various Sources....
Routine as of 12/02/2012
morning:
Vitamin D: 10,000iu

Tyrosine: 500mg  (take more if needed)
L-PA: 500mg (this is new)

B-complex supplment

evening:
GABA: 750mg
Tryptophan: 1,000mg
Cal-Mag Supplement

Routine as of 08/13/2012
morning:
GABA 200 mg w/1,2000 inositol and 400mg Niacin   (for irritability/grumpiness during day)
Vitamin D: 10,000iu
Tyrosine: 500mg  (take more if needed)
DLPA: 500mg

B-complex supplment

evening:
GABA: 400mg (w/2,400 insoitol and 800mg niacin)
(Taurine 1000 mg for 1 week - stopping it now that I've run out)
Cal-Mag Supplement

Supplement Routine as of 07/01/2012

Morning:
GABA 200 mg w/1,2000 inositol and 400mg Niacin   (for irritability/grumpiness during day)
Vitamin D: 10,000-15,000iu alternating dosage on alternating days
Tyrosine: 1,000mg  (take more if needed)
Glutamine 500mg

Evening:
GABA: 400mg (w/2,400 insoitol and 800mg niacin)
Taurine: 1,000mg  --- may stop this one
5-HTP:  200mg

http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/articles/aminobipolar.htm

MORNING

1000 mg of L-Tyrosine
500 mg of L-Glutamine
(Note:  Glutamine is a stimulant and can trigger mania, so is only used if a stimulant is needed.)
500 mg combination of choline and inositol
Nature's Life soft gelatin multiple vitamin (it digests better than pills and has extra B vitamins. This provides the nutrients the amino acids need to work)

EVENING

500 - 1000 mg of L-Taurine
500 mg GABA (if a little hyper, can take 1000-2000 mg)
1000 mg L-tryptophan (doctor's prescription needed)
Nature's Life soft gelatin multiple vitamin

AS NEEDED

500 mg Phenylalaline to boost mood

The Anti-Anxiety Food Solution by Trudy Scott

GABA
Eat between meals - don't start higher than 750mg
125mg sublingual - immediate relaxation within minutes typically

Helpful for anxiety, stressed, burned-out, carb cravings

Options:
 -- sublingual 125 mg GABA with 25 mg tyrosine: 1-2 capsules taken 3x day
 -- 250-500mg GABA: 1-2 capsules at bedtime for sleep or earlier for stress
 -- combination of GABA, taurine and glycine
Yoga also raises GABA levels.

5-HTTP or Tryptophan
Tryptophan may work better - case by case basis.
If having severe insomnia, tryptophan may be better as 5-HTTP raises cortisol levels

Helpful for binge eating, carb cravings, sleep problems, anxiety, panic attacks, anger or rage, suicidal thoughts, obsessive thoughts of behaviors, perfectionism, being overly controlling, negatitivity

Options:
 -- 500 -1,500mg of tryptophan: 2x day, midafternoon and night - taken between meals
 -- 50-150 mg 5-HTTP: twice a ay, midafternoon and bedtime, can be taken with food
 -- earlier symptoms in daytime: take 50-150mg 5-HTTP upon waking and 500-1,500 mg of tryptophan at midafternoon and bedtime

Tyrosine

Helpful for lack of focus, low motivation, lack of energy.

Options:
 -- 500-1,500 mg: 1-3x a day, before breakfast, midmorning, midafternoon. Don't take after 3pm if dealing with insomnia.

DPA or  DLPA
Increases endorphins levels. D-phenylalanine or DL-phenylalanine (some converts to tyrosine)
Helpful if sensitive to emotional/physical pain, crying easily, eatting for mood, loving certain foods, craving a reward or number treat.

Options:
 -- 500-1,500 mg DPA: 3x a day, before breakfast, midmorning, midafternoon - maybe after dinner too
 -- 500 - 1,500 mg DLPA: 3x a day before breakfast, midmorning, midafternoon - may use if low energy or engage in comfort eating. Do not take after 3:00pm is insomnia is an issue.

Take a "free-form amino acid blend with all nine essential amino acides)

From Atkins' Vita-Nutrient Solution

Glutamine
Good for the bowels/intestine, sugar addictions, obesity, mental instability

Options:
 -- 5-20 grams (!) daily for immune system support
 -- 2-3 grams for sugar addiction, take when urge comes up
 -- up to 50 grams a day for bowel disease

Lysine
 -- 1-2 grams a day for mouth sores

Phenylalanine (DPA/DLPA)
Helps with positiveness, alterness, pain relief
Helpful with depression categoFr rized by apathy or lethargy/
Options:
 -- 500-3,000 mg with vitamin B6
 -- 500 - 1,000 mg on empty stomach for a kick or match with same dosage of l-tyrosine (good for caffeine withdrawl)
 -- 250-1,000mg before each meal -- also match with tyrosine before saying it doesn't work

Tyrosine
consider using ALT acetyl l-tyrosine
Good for depression with lethargy, apathy and listlessness.
For irritated depression, do tryptophan to 5-http
Options:
 -- 600 - 2,000mg day with l-tyrosine -- drop to 300-600mg if using ALT
 -- 1,000 - 2,000 mg of ALT for depression, higher doses limited to doc's care
 -- take with B6 an Vitamin C on empty stomach

GABA
For anxiety or depression
Taking zinc and B6 can increase GBA
Options:
 -- 500mg-4g a day for anxiousness or irritability

Taurine
For fat metabolism and making bile, keeps it liquid.
For seziure disorders: 1.5-4g daily divided

Tryptophan
Options:
 -- 2 gram before bed, no insomnia
 -- 2-4 grams/daily for sever cases --- 5HTTP needs only 300-400mp/daily - take before meals

And I realize you mentioned hating exercise and I've said that before myself. I'd also done a lot of on-off-on-off exercise with some periods of consistency and then periods of absence (usually my kids getting sick and not being able to go to gym child care) but it didn't do a whole lot for me. But in late December after another really low point, I finally hit a point where I knew I had to do something and that was finally my "just do it" moment. I had hit those lows many times but finally I realized that I just had to do it for real finally. For me, the exercise has to be early because I'm by nature a morning person but had spent 4 years sleeping in late because of parenting demands and if I was up so were my kids, so why bother? Etc.

But the combination of waking up early and working out has made massive improvements and while I started at 6 days a week, scaling it back to 3-4 has still shown consistent improvement. I can't say I like exercise, especially not running (starting couch to 5k and I jog slow), but I love feeling good and I know that is what I will have to do to get there. I also mix it up to find what I like. I found out I really enjoy weight lifting with free weights and once I was over my shyness, that has been the one thing that I go back for. I will skip running workouts but rarely do I skip weight lifting. And now I'm taking a Bodypump class because just lifting weights got a little dull and the class is a good way to keep me interested -- so it's all about finding ways to keep engaged and keep going, even if it sucks at times. Which is good because I started working out to drop some weight and after the first 10 pounds, nothing has fallen away. As someone that could lose 90lbs, that sucks, except for how awesome I feel and I can't discount or ignore that effect.

Negin, thanks for that detailed response.

I didn't start taking 5htp for sleep - I took it to help with depression.   I do have trouble sleeping, but my pattern was different than the issues that 5htp caused.   I take Valerian from time to time too.  She talks about Magnesium too and I think I'll start taking that.  I've read what foods are high in M. and I don't normally eat that.  I may start drinking Almond Milk more regularly - as I can't eat almonds. 

Just like I don't want to be taking prescription drugs everyday for the rest of my life, I don't want to be chained to supplements either... so I agree with you.   Dr. Ross does say that 5htp should not be used forever and we should stop taking it once our symptoms abate.

Debbi, you're most welcome. 

Of all the supplements that I take, magnesium has been the most helpful. 

We make most of our serotonin between dawn and 2 hours after, which, naturally, is the time mammas of small kids are never allowed to sleep. So, if it is possible, it is better for women to be up a little later and sleep past dawn. d lunches. So, protein heavy breakfasts and lunches, then a carb heavy dinner so I'd sleep through the night.

Rosie, I don't have any info on serotonin.

What you mentioned is very interesting. I barely remember a day in my life where I woke up after dawn. I've always been one to sleep early and wake up super-early. All my life. 

Rosie, I don't have any info on serotonin.What you mentioned is very interesting. I barely remember a day in my life where I woke up after dawn. I've always been one to sleep early and wake up super-early. All my life.

You don't? :svengo:

Probably some women can sleep and wake early with no ill effects, but I noticed the difference in how I felt years before I learned of any reason for it. 

You don't? :svengo:

Probably some women can sleep and wake early with no ill effects, but I noticed the difference in how I felt years before I learned of any reason for it. 

Yes, I've tried and tried through the years to change my sleeping habits. I think it's mainly that I love mornings, seeing the sunrise, and getting things done (or at least trying to) without a soul talking to me. :D