Menu

My nurse used the F word

Tiramisu

I couldn't get into my regular doctor very soon, so on the advice of a very caring receptionist, I decided to try out the nurse practitioner today. She was...WOW! She spent such a long time going over everything, listened to all I said, asked questions, never made me feel stupid. She ordered a bunch of lab work, including all the things on the list that I had already made up in my head. She needs to rule out a number of things first, most especially thyroid issues, but she asked me, "Do you know what all this sounds like?" The F word popped into my head, but I didn't say anything so she answered, "Fibromyalgia." So, it seems that if everything else looks okay, I might finally have name for what ails me. She was so compassionate. Leaving, I couldn't help asking for a hug and she gave me a great one and twice said, "Really, call me if you need anything." 

It's people like this that can make all the difference in the world.

I am glad you found such a compassionate and caring np. Even though the diagnosis is not good I am sure it is a relief to finally get one.

I must say when I read your post title I thought you meant the other F word.  I was shocked a health care professional would use it.  I am glad it was this  F word and not the other.

I am glad you found such a compassionate and caring np. Even though the diagnosis is not good I am sure it is a relief to finally get one.

I must say when I read your post title I thought you meant the other F word.  I was shocked a health care professional would use it.  I am glad it was this  F word and not the other.

I'm a rather boring person, but I felt like luring in some Hivers who couldn't help but hear an F word story.  :coolgleamA:

Just out of curiosity, were you tested for lyme disease.  I just spent the last year and a half with my dh on a journey to get him a diagnosis for his extreme and unexplained pain (to the point where he lost his job because he could not function).  We saw every ologist under the sun.  No one knew what was wrong with him but here are some pain killers, some medication to help your nerves, and please have some injections in your spine that might help (they did for 6 weeks). He was finally diagnosed with a co-infection of lyme disease and bartonella.  

Point of my ramble is if you have not been tested I recommend finding a lyme literate doctor in your area and getting the full blood work up.

I couldn't get into my regular doctor very soon, so on the advice of a very caring receptionist, I decided to try out the nurse practitioner today. She was...WOW! She spent such a long time going over everything, listened to all I said, asked questions, never made me feel stupid. She ordered a bunch of lab work, including all the things on the list that I had already made up in my head. She needs to rule out a number of things first, most especially thyroid issues, but she asked me, "Do you know what all this sounds like?" The F word popped into my head, but I didn't say anything so she answered, "Fibromyalgia." So, it seems that if everything else looks okay, I might finally have name for what ails me. She was so compassionate. Leaving, I couldn't help asking for a hug and she gave me a great one and twice said, "Really, call me if you need anything." 

It's people like this that can make all the difference in the world.

I encountered this with the nurse practitioner I saw. I try to make sure she is who I see whenever I go in now.  She made sure to test for quite a few things including Vit D (mine was extremely low).  Just the fact she listened to me and didn't instantly try putting me on intense medications to help with symptoms made my day. 

I'm glad you might get some answers :)

I admit I opened the thread because I thought she used the F--- word.  

I'm glad she was so conscientious, thorough and caring.  My girls see a nurse practitioner, and she is awesome.

I'm glad you're getting some answers.  It's so hard not knowing.

Just out of curiosity, were you tested for lyme disease.  I just spent the last year and a half with my dh on a journey to get him a diagnosis for his extreme and unexplained pain (to the point where he lost his job because he could not function).  We saw every ologist under the sun.  No one knew what was wrong with him but here are some pain killers, some medication to help your nerves, and please have some injections in your spine that might help (they did for 6 weeks). He was finally diagnosed with a co-infection of lyme disease and bartonella.  

Point of my ramble is if you have not been tested I recommend finding a lyme literate doctor in your area and getting the full blood work up.

Good point. I had the Lyme work up three years ago but you never know.

I hope you finally get a diagnosis. I know how hard it is to keep wondering why you feel so poorly all the time. :grouphug:

And thank you for sharing that it was a NP. I am considering getting my degree so I can be a nurse practitioner!

Good point. I had the Lyme work up three years ago but you never know.

I would ask for a brain spect if you did not have one.  His bloodwork came back inconclusive for lyme and the brain scan showed lots of damage consistent with lyme, fibromyalgia, and something else that I am forgetting the name of.

I am glad the NP was helpful.  I found on this journey that they are often great to work with.

I would ask for a brain spect if you did not have one.  His bloodwork came back inconclusive for lyme and the brain scan showed lots of damage consistent with lyme, fibromyalgia, and something else that I am forgetting the name of.

I am glad the NP was helpful.  I found on this journey that they are often great to work with.

What did having this information do for you as far as end results?  Did it lead to specific treatments that worked?  

I'm sorry you're having a rough time and I'm glad you found a practitioner who is on top of things. I find I feel loads better just knowing someone's listening and proactive. :grouphug:

I have to confess, I opened this to see what kind of health professional would use the F-word! LOL It made me think of a phone call I got a few months ago from an RN. He told me he was reading a patient's chart and one of the dictated notes had the C-word in it. You know. THAT C-word. He was sure it was some sort of mistake and wanted to see if I could remove the word. I opened the patient's chart and sure enough, the dictating nurse had the C-word in there. It made no sense, so I thought it had to be a mistake with the dictation software or something. I couldn't personally alter the record, so someone in our department with the power to handle such situations got a hold of the dictating nurse to straighten the record out. I never heard the conversation between the two, but I bet it was funny! 

I use a CNP as a PCP (ha ha! That's a lot of acronyms! LOL! <---- another!!) Anyway - I agree with you that my CNP takes more time with me. She treats me like an adut, and reapects that i actually take an active role in my own care. She's really fabulous.

I hope you're on your way to recovery and feeling better. Being heard is a good place to start.

What did having this information do for you as far as end results?  Did it lead to specific treatments that worked?  

Yes, it lead to specific treatment with the possibility of reversal of the disease.  My dh was only diagnosed a few weeks ago but already the antibiotics and supplements he is taking have radically reduced his symptoms.  He actually has had a few days where he felt good. 

Me, too. And then I thought it might be "fat".

I saw a video clip from a Congressional hearing the other day. One of the women on the panel exclaimed, "Are you freakin' kidding me?" I was shocked. Have people lost sight of the what that's a euphemism for?

Me, too. And then I thought it might be "fat".

I saw a video clip from a Congressional hearing the other day. One of the women on the panel exclaimed, "Are you freakin' kidding me?" I was shocked. Have people lost sight of the what that's a euphemism for?

Yes.

Or they don't care. it's been used so much that it seems normal.

I also assumed this thread was about the "other" F word. HA! But I am happy for you! This fibro stuff is difficult to diagnose. I have family members who suffered for years with unexplained pain. They heard this "F" word too!

Having grown up in veery political circles close to DC, I can tell you that potty mouths are near universal. Both sides of the aisle.

I can see that. AS I said, potty mouths have become universal so people (in general, no political party meant at all) have lost sight of its appropriateness in various forums.