Menu

transcript question - repeating a course?

We've had to repeat courses in the past, and we only put one of the courses on the transcript -- the one with the highest grade.  The downside of repeating courses is dc might be taking 7 classes during a year and only get credit for 6, but in the long run, it's positive.  The student learns the material.  That is a benefit of homeschooling.  Do what you need to do; record what you want to record. 

Depending on the situation, another option might be to call the first one an introductory name and the second one a more in-depth name.  eg prealgebra/algebra, physical science/physics, introductory Spanish/Spanish I.  That would mostly be if the student made a certain amount of progress, did more work in certain areas, wasn't up to the high goals you originally had, etc.

A third option would be to give 1/2 credit for what was accomplished, but again that would depend on whether half the material seemed to be covered, etc.

Julie

If you decide to put it on the transcript, I can give you the procedure used at the college where I was Registrar. The first time the course was taken, the 0.0 grade was recorded with an asterisk to the left of the course name and RPT to the right : * Algebra I 0.0 Rpt

A footnote at the bottom of the transcript then read: Courses designated with an asterisk (*) are repeated courses. These courses are not included in GPA calculations.

I had my dd repeat Algebra I because I was not satisfied that she truly grasped the material.  She used a different (and more in depth) curriculum the second time around.  I called the first year Algebra I, Part 1, and the second year Algebra I, Part 2.  Our local high school offers that progression, so I was very comfortable using it on our transcript at home. And she got credit for both classes too.

I wouldn't show it on the transcript if it reflected a poor grade, or if you were not going to give credit.  You have that discretion.  You are not a public school and do not need to follow the same "rules."  It does not give your transcript any less credibility.

If you decide to put it on the transcript, I can give you the procedure used at the college where I was Registrar. The first time the course was taken, the 0.0 grade was recorded with an asterisk to the left of the course name and RPT to the right : * Algebra I 0.0 Rpt

A footnote at the bottom of the transcript then read: Courses designated with an asterisk (*) are repeated courses. These courses are not included in GPA calculations.

That is really interesting to know how they do that.  I know many kids who have re-taken classes during summer school etc., and didn't know exactly how it was done but I knew the previous F did not affect their GPA. 

This was very helpful...thanks to all who have shared. I think the designation above makes the most sense for my situation, but I am still not completely sure. Last year, ds took the first half of a Latin course at lukeion, got an A (barely!!). I just felt he wasn't really mastering the material, so we didnt take the second semester. Instead, We did our own thing and studied for the national Latin exam (he got a gold medal). All this to say, he did have some successes in his year of Latin 2, however he wasn't ready to tackle Latin 3. So we are repeating Latin 2 at lukeion. I want to show he took Latin last year, bc we will list his Nle participation, but only the first semester will be an exact repeat. Hope this makes sense! And thank you!!

What NLE level did he take? If it is 2, he cannot retake that level. If he took Level 2, I would list his NLE 2 result with the course description and grade for Latin 2. The NLE is simply some outside verification of his competence at second year Latin IMO. I would not be indicating courses on a transcript you are not giving credit for. JMO.

{snip}. Last year, ds took the first half of a Latin course at lukeion, got an A (barely!!). I just felt he wasn't really mastering the material, so we didnt take the second semester. Instead, We did our own thing and studied for the national Latin exam (he got a gold medal). All this to say, he did have some successes in his year of Latin 2, however he wasn't ready to tackle Latin 3. So we are repeating Latin 2 at lukeion. I want to show he took Latin last year, bc we will list his Nle participation, but only the first semester will be an exact repeat. Hope this makes sense! And thank you!!

Lukeion moves at a breakneck speed using a college level textbook.  Considering your son received a gold medal on the national Latin exam for level 2 of Latin, I would award him a full credit for Latin II.

Rather than having him repeat Latin 2 at Lukeion, I would sign him up for Latin III with another provider that moves at a pace that is more manageable. 

I agree with Snowbeltmom about Lukeion, but I'll go one further, I'm curious why even though he got an A with them you thought he wasn't retaining the material. They have a test to start the second semester did he have problems with that? 

Candid,

He crammed hard for the final and just barely got a 90 for the semester, but I felt that the pace was too fast and he didn't really retain the vocab and grammar structures. He probably could have kept going, but I felt that it had already snowballed out of control and would just get worse as the second semester went on. (he was so burnt out, we didn't even take the pre semester quiz). We covered a lot of material for the NLE 2 but It was teaching for the test, definitely not the depth Lukeion would have taught at. I did consider putting him in MEmoria Press online academy latin 3 which uses Henle (which we are very familiar with)...but I had my doubts that we had covered year 2 material adequately. So, we returned to what we knew in the hopes that the second time around, it would be better. I do agree, though, Lukeion goes so fast. So many have success with it, I just assumed ds just wasn't studying correctly or wasn't ready for the challenge. I thought maybe if we were more disciplined this go round and he is a year older, we'd have a good shot at success this time.

What NLE level did he take? If it is 2, he cannot retake that level. If he took Level 2, I would list his NLE 2 result with the course description and grade for Latin 2. The NLE is simply some outside verification of his competence at second year Latin IMO. I would not be indicating courses on a transcript you are not giving credit for. JMO.

That was my dilemma...if he repeats latin 2 this year, do I just list NLE 2 for the year before when according to the transcript he hadn't taken Latin at all or I guess I can notate that he took it but just not give him credit for it bc it was repeated this upcoming year. Sorry, I'm probably making this harder than it needs to be, I'm just trying to wrap my brain around it. Thanks to everyone for their help!!

Rather than having him repeat Latin 2 at Lukeion, I would sign him up for Latin III with another provider that moves at a pace that is more manageable.

Any suggestions? I've looked at veritas, lone pine, and memoria press. We tried Regina Coeli and it wasn't a good fit...which is why we switched to lukeion in Latin 1.

That was my dilemma...if he repeats latin 2 this year, do I just list NLE 2 for the year before when according to the transcript he hadn't taken Latin at all or I guess I can notate that he took it but just not give him credit for it bc it was repeated this upcoming year. Sorry, I'm probably making this harder than it needs to be, I'm just trying to wrap my brain around it. Thanks to everyone for their help!!

Couple other suggestions (besides the ones already mentioned):

You could call them Latin 2A and 2B (since he did complete the first half with an A). In this case I would say each should be 1/2 cr.

You could assign a grade of 'W' or 'WP' (withdrew/withdrew passing) -- this will make it pretty obvious that he took it but did not complete it. In this case you would not count it into the GPA at all.

Any suggestions?

I think the answer depends to some degree on why your son is studying Latin.  My kids have absolutely no interest in studying a foreign language, so Latin is a "check the box" subject for us.  If colleges didn't require a foreign language, my kids would not be studying it.

My middle child was enrolled in Lukeion two years ago.  I dropped him from the class despite the fact that he was getting a very high A because it was taking time away from the subjects that I felt were more important.

I have heard good things about Lone Pine, but I don't have any personal experience.  I like Memoria Press.  It is a high school level class with great instructors and a reasonable workload.   

Good luck.

Candid,

He crammed hard for the final and just barely got a 90 for the semester, but I felt that the pace was too fast and he didn't really retain the vocab and grammar structures. He probably could have kept going, but I felt that it had already snowballed out of control and would just get worse as the second semester went on. (he was so burnt out, we didn't even take the pre semester quiz). We covered a lot of material for the NLE 2 but It was teaching for the test, definitely not the depth Lukeion would have taught at. I did consider putting him in MEmoria Press online academy latin 3 which uses Henle (which we are very familiar with)...but I had my doubts that we had covered year 2 material adequately. So, we returned to what we knew in the hopes that the second time around, it would be better. I do agree, though, Lukeion goes so fast. So many have success with it, I just assumed ds just wasn't studying correctly or wasn't ready for the challenge. I thought maybe if we were more disciplined this go round and he is a year older, we'd have a good shot at success this time.

Okay this makes sense, kind of holding on by the tips of his fingers. But, still, that 90 in Lukeion's course was pretty good, but it was cramming that got him there not an overall trajectory I can understand the concern. 

This was very helpful...thanks to all who have shared. I think the designation above makes the most sense for my situation, but I am still not completely sure. Last year, ds took the first half of a Latin course at lukeion, got an A (barely!!). I just felt he wasn't really mastering the material, so we didnt take the second semester. Instead, We did our own thing and studied for the national Latin exam (he got a gold medal). All this to say, he did have some successes in his year of Latin 2, however he wasn't ready to tackle Latin 3. So we are repeating Latin 2 at lukeion. I want to show he took Latin last year, bc we will list his Nle participation, but only the first semester will be an exact repeat. Hope this makes sense! And thank you!!

Lukeion moves at a breakneck speed using a college level textbook.  Considering your son received a gold medal on the national Latin exam for level 2 of Latin, I would award him a full credit for Latin II.

Candid,

Okay this makes sense, kind of holding on by the tips of his fingers. But, still, that 90 in Lukeion's course was pretty good, but it was cramming that got him there not an overall trajectory I can understand the concern. 

I'm not following this at all. I don't understand why an A and a gold medal on the NLE doesn't demonstrate that he has mastered the material. Yes, he crammed, but I don't see how he could have earned a gold medal without a solid, foundational knowledge. I also don't understand why a 90 is considered "out of control." He may have had to study even harder the second semester and perhaps he would have dipped to a B. Would earning less than an A for a final grade really have been that bad? 

I'm not following this at all. I don't understand why an A and a gold medal on the NLE doesn't demonstrate that he has mastered the material. Yes, he crammed, but I don't see how he could have earned a gold medal without a solid, foundational knowledge. I also don't understand why a 90 is considered "out of control." He may have had to study even harder the second semester and perhaps he would have dipped to a B. Would earning less than an A for a final grade really have been that bad?

For us, it really wasn't about the grade but the time involved for the class and that the material in semester 2 builds on semester 1. We decided (maybe incorrectly) to stop the class and continue to work at home, focusing on mastering the material for the exam. He worked hard to study for the exam, however the material covered on the NLE is not representative of the whole of Latin 2 material. For ex, subjunctives aren't covered at all. We tried to continue learning the rest of Latin 2 material at home after the NLE, but I am concerned it still isn't enough to move on to Latin 3. Hth to explain my situation. :)

I tend to list things by subject (rather than grade) so I would lump all of latin 2 into one class. In your case, I would probably list the first year of latin 2 as Latin 2a and give 0.5 credit. Put it in the course transcript as 1 semester of Lukeion plus the national latin exam. List your second year as Latin 2b. If you outsource to a latin 2 class, much of it may be repeat so you might only be able to give another 1/2 credit. If you manage to do a second year of latin 2 that you feel is a year's worth of work, then list as latin 2b and describe in a course description as the second half of latin 2 plus special emphasis in x or whatever gave it more credit than just being the second half of latin 2.

For us, it really wasn't about the grade but the time involved for the class and that the material in semester 2 builds on semester 1. We decided (maybe incorrectly) to stop the class and continue to work at home, focusing on mastering the material for the exam. He worked hard to study for the exam, however the material covered on the NLE is not representative of the whole of Latin 2 material. For ex, subjunctives aren't covered at all. We tried to continue learning the rest of Latin 2 material at home after the NLE, but I am concerned it still isn't enough to move on to Latin 3. Hth to explain my situation. :)

Did he finish all (or most) of Wheelock's at home? If so, then I would give him credit for Latin 2 last year and try to get him into a Latin 3 class this year — have you looked at Lone Pine? They move at a slower pace and they have 2 years of reading (Latin 3 & 4) before AP (Latin 5), whereas Lukeion's AP class is Latin 4. Then he could take the Latin 3 NLE this year (since you're not allowed to repeat the tests).

Also, Lone Pine uses Wheelock's for grammar review in Latin 3 & 4, so he would still get grammar review while being able to move on to reading. I'm not sure of the pace for Latin 3, but I know that for Latin 1 & 2, four hours of homework per week is the maximum she allows (so 6 hrs total, with the class time), whereas Lukeion recommends 10-12 hrs/wk.

My son has done extremely well with Lukeion for both Greek and Latin, but even I — as hard-core a Lukeion fan as you will ever find — am considering changing gears for Latin 3, to free up some time for other subjects. He will continue with Lukeion for Greek through Greek 6, but I like the idea of spreading out the Latin reading over 2 years (at 5-6 hrs/wk instead of 10-12) and then go back to Lukeion for AP Latin in 12th. If I do switch, we will either do 3 & 4 at home or go with Lone Pine.

Jackie