Menu

kindergartner hitting himself

Ipsey

Hi, All.

I've been such a good girl. I think it's been 2 months since I've been here. It was a good break, and I intend to go back. . . unfortunately, just as I always do when I don't know what to do, I have come to the board for some help.

My boy, starting first grade in fall, gets frustrated sometimes, or embarrassed and bonks himself in the head with his fist. It doesn't happen often, but it happened today at the swimming pool. Apparently he was running on the deck, and his swimming teacher told him he needed to walk, and he got angry and embarrassed and started hitting himself on the head with his fist and he snapped his goggles on his forehead. I didn't see this because I was with another child, and his teacher let me know about it after class.

So, this worries me. I remember sometimes doing similar things as a kid and grew out of it--though I do remember slapping myself sometimes up until I was in junior high if I was really upset with myself. Maybe once a year. I'd hit my leg or slap my face. 

That's not good, I guess. And I def. don't want my boy to do this.

So, any suggestions/ideas how I can help him to deal with his anger and embarrassment differently? Specific techniques would be helpful.

Otherwise, he seems pretty healthy, and he doesn't hit other kids. . . .

*sigh*

So, let's hear it, Hive.

Thanks!

My ds is also going into 1st in the fall. He went through a faze in the last year-ish where he would occasionally hit himself like that. He didn't take it to any extreme thankfully. I had to tell him a few times that he shouldn't hit himself like that. He has finally stopped doing it. I wouldn't worry too much unless he is doing himself real harm.