Menu

Last question...typing?

mamiof5

Has anyone tried any typing books or programs?  What has been your favorite? Wanting to also start this with 2 and 3rd grader.  I need to just stop looking at the rainbow resource catalog! :drool:  Thanks in advance for your input!

This is a popular topic and has come up numerous times. Search these forums for recommendations and links.

The most common reccomendations are BBC Dance Mat Typing (free online) and Typing Instructor For Kids ($10 DVD on Amazon).

My 8 year old recently did BBC Dance Mat typing (took her just a couple of weeks to master all the stages).  I had her repeat the last few stages a few times to build stamina and improve her speed.  We've just moved on to NitroType (http://www.nitrotype.com).  She is a girly-girl (thus, not really into auto racing), but for some reason she loves it.  She is competitive, so she likes to race other typists.  I think you need something before NitroType to learn the keyboard, but it seems like a great way to increase speed.  Both programs are free online.

Thank you so very much for all your suggestions!  I tried the mat dance one and was having fun myself :laugh: Definitely will start with that one for the kids, and in the future try some of the other suggestions. Thanks again!

I am looking at RR and there are two Mavis Beacon programs. One is the 25th Anniversary Edition and is more expensive but it says it has more bells and whistles. Should I just get the more basic one that is under $10?

I wondered the same thing when I was researching typing. IIRC, one of them is compatible with Windows 7 and the other is not. I think it was Mavis Beacon that I was checking out when I noticed that. Anyway, check compatibility with your machine prior to purchase. :) 

I'll probably get run out of here on the rails...but we use SpongeBob Typing and it's worked wonders. She can almost type as fast as I do. She needs to work on the special characters and numbers, but she's FAST now. 

Ha! I am contemplating getting that one too. My dd8 is a video game junkie (I know, it's not good) so I think the combination of spongebob and the video game look to it would be the perfect motivational tool. Not that I need her playing more video games, it's hard enough to pull her away from the screen  :glare:  but sometimes you need something that will be a little more fun and a lot less of a fight.