Menu

Good Toddler Read Alouds!

Mnemosyne

I'm looking for some suggestions.

My son is 20 months old, and I'm getting really sick of the books we have.

Do any of you have any suggestions for good stories I can read to him? I'd like ones with nice illustrations, not too many words on a page (he has a short attention span at this age). Something not super repetitive would be great for me. ;)

We have a book of nursery rhymes, and some board books, but our selection is pretty small.

Byron Barton's books don't have many words per page, and they're about trucks, trains, dinosaurs, etc. Simple without being maddeningly repetitive.

I love the illustrations in Jane Hissey's Old Bear books, but they might be a bit long for a 20 month old to sit through. Worth checking out if you think detailed illustrations would keep him interested while you read.

Jan Brett books were (still are) favorites here. Her artwork is gorgeous. Some books have more words per page than others, so you might want to flip through to see if they'll work for you, but they held my oldest son's interest well. One of his first sentences was 'animals don't wear clothes!' paraphrased from 'The Hat,' one of the hedgehog books. He would beg for 'hedgie!' several times a day. Lol.

Dr. Suess and Sandra Boynton were also popular here at that age.

We LOVE Sandra Boynton's books for toddlers. They are so great. "But not the Hippopotamus" has been read in our home so many times it is falling apart.

And we have lots of Dr. Seuss books. Green Eggs and Ham, the Cat in the Hat... Gosh, I can recite them! Old favorites here. :)

Definitely these. My two year old can practically read the "oops book" without me she loves it so much.