Menu

UPDATED - re: Kingfisher White

I just received "The Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World" in the mail. It's not EVEN what I expected. Is the white Kingfisher a SERIES of books about the history of the world? Cuz I got book 5 of the series "The Renaissance, 1461-1600" and the seller I got it from accepts no refunds for "not what I thought it was going to be".

IS there a one volume 1st edition White Kingfisher, or did I not understand correctly? I don't even like the way this is laid out. I needed it for the ancients and they aren't even contained in this volume.

UGH. NOW what do I do? I paid what I thought was a good price for a huge volume like the 3rd edition was, so I way over paid and no one is gonna pay what I did for this!

I have contacted the seller anyway with pictures of what I received and a screen capture of what they said they were selling. We'll see what happens.

Update: YAY!! The seller just contacted me:

"Here's the pre paid return shippping label and I'll issue you full refund. But..... if you keep the book and don't use the return shipping label, I'll still give you a full refund.

What would it be?

It was def our mistake, sometimes my kids make mistakes with multiple volume books."

I responded:

THank you for offering for me to keep it, but I just don't feel right keeping it and then getting a full refund. I will send you the book back tomorrow. I just print out the label and paste it on an envelope, correct?

Susan

=========

Very happy with the resolution! Thanks for letting me vent and holding my hand! :)

Many years ago, the white Kingfisher was available as a single huge volume or as a set of smaller books. I had the set and they were lovely - easy to handle for the kids. Apparently you only got one volume...depending on how the ad was worded you may have reason to dispute the sale. If the title of that particular volume was not listed or the book number, I would certainly dispute it.

I just received "The Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World" in the mail. It's not EVEN what I expected. Is the white Kingfisher a SERIES of books about the history of the world? Cuz I got book 5 of the series "The Renaissance, 1461-1600" and the seller I got it from accepts no refunds for "not what I thought it was going to be".

IS there a one volume 1st edition White Kingfisher, or did I not understand correctly? I don't even like the way this is laid out. I needed it for the ancients and they aren't even contained in this volume.

UGH. NOW what do I do? I paid what I thought was a good price for a huge volume like the 3rd edition was, so I way over paid and no one is gonna pay what I did for this!

Did you buy it from Amazon? Unless what you received matches the catalog page EXACTLY Amazon will refund your money.

My version is a large one volume copy. Check the ISBN # of the book you have, and the ISBN # and description of the listing. If the seller was selling book 5 of a 5 book series, it should have been listed as volume 5. How many pages did the listing say?

My version is a large one volume copy. Check the ISBN # of the book you have, and the ISBN # and description of the listing. If the seller was selling book 5 of a 5 book series, it should have been listed as volume 5. How many pages did the listing say?

The ISBN number wasn't listed and the cover picture of the item shows the full kingfisher, NOT the volumed set. IT didn't say how many pages the book had in the listing. It showed this cover:

Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World : 40,000 BC to Present Day

Charlotte (Editor) Evans

9 customer reviews

Hardcover

]51EN5DEK67L._SY346_.jpg

That was all that was contained in the listing. This is the cover of what I got:

1003088_10201482436805007_22259466_n.jpg

Update: YAY!! The seller just contacted me:

"Here's the pre paid return shippping label and I'll issue you full refund. But..... if you keep the book and don't use the return shipping label, I'll still give you a full refund.

What would it be?

It was def our mistake, sometimes my kids make mistakes with multiple volume books."

I responded:

THank you for offering for me to keep it, but I just don't feel right keeping it and then getting a full refund. I will send you the book back tomorrow. I just print out the label and paste it on an envelope, correct?

Susan

=========

Very happy with the resolution! Thanks for letting me vent and holding my hand! :)

What would it be?

Was this in the message from the seller?

Are they asking you how much a refund would be?

Oh good grief.

:svengo:

Make sure they refund you both purchase price and the $3.99 shipping charge.

And...I really hope the seller doesn't make her kids list her inventory. :mellow:

Was this in the message from the seller?

Are they asking you how much a refund would be?

Oh good grief.

:svengo:

Make sure they refund you both purchase price and the $3.99 shipping charge.

And...I really hope the seller doesn't make her kids list her inventory. :mellow:

No, he's asking me if I'm going to keep the book AND get the refund, either way he will fully refund my price. I'll confirm that it's including shipping. I just assumed FULL refund meant that. You know what assuming gets you though... ;)

If it helps for your next attempt, I have the 1993 edition The Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World, 40,000 BC to Present Day, with white cover and 761 numbered pages plus an index at the back. The ISBN is 1856978621.

I recommend always confirming the ISBN with the seller before buying . . . I learned the hard way not to rely on pictures or descriptions. Sometimes the seller just finds an existing listing that is close and they add theirs to that listing.  

I recommend always confirming the ISBN with the seller before buying . . . I learned the hard way not to rely on pictures or descriptions. Sometimes the seller just finds another listing that is close and they pile their listing on top to save them time.

This is unnecessary. The titles HAVE to match. The title for this is

40,000 BC to Present day is quite different from 1461-1600.

If you want a very specific edition of a reprinted book, then yes, confirm with the seller. Amazon itself tends to screw up editions. But to just get a book with a specific title? No way. If they send something else then A-Z them if they don't refund. The title IS the description, and the one that matters the most to tptb at Amazon.

And while ISBN's are nice indicators, Amazon works on their own mysterious ASIN's.

Sorry, I'm a sort-of 3p seller, and the sellers who treat selling on Amazon like it's the same as selling on eBay drives me nuts. It hurts all the sellers. As a buyer, don't put up with that sh*t. Expect them to follow Amazon's rules.

This is unnecessary. The titles HAVE to match. The title for this is

40,000 BC to Present day is quite different from 1461-1600.

If you want a very specific edition of a reprinted book, then yes, confirm with the seller. Amazon itself tends to screw up editions. But to just get a book with a specific title? No way. If they send something else then A-Z them if they don't refund. The title IS the description, and the one that matters the most to tptb at Amazon.

And while ISBN's are nice indicators, Amazon works on their own mysterious ASIN's.

Sorry, I'm a sort-of 3p seller, and the sellers who treat selling on Amazon like it's the same as selling on eBay drives me nuts. It hurts all the sellers. As a buyer, don't put up with that sh*t. Expect them to follow Amazon's rules.

It *should* be unnecessary to confirm ISBNs with a seller, but I've learned that simple step upfront saves me time and hassle. It would be nice if everyone followed the rules, but the reality is, they don't. I've become more proactive, and since then, I've been disappointed way less often. I look for detailed seller descriptions, not generic ones; I check buyer feedback; and then I send a quick email to confirm before buying. I'd rather attempt to eliminate the bad listings up front. That's better than being disappointed that I didn't receive what I ordered, especially after waiting a week or two or three for Media Mail, and then starting the hunt all over again. YMMV.

Well, it is a subset apparently -so how does that content ompare to he 2013 you have from the library?

Do you want the whole book now?

I didn't see much difference except the illustrations didn't seem the same quality in the older one.

I was so flustered I didn't really check before I sent it back! Dumb dumb dumb...

Maybe Kingfisher reverted back to the style of the white version for the newest book? Has anyone seen both the new edition and the white one?

No, I have only been able to compare the white with the 2004 edition. Maybe they heard enough complaints they realized the other style was preferred by their customers.

I was told that the white version is less concise than later versions, so is easier to outline. The newer versions are already the outline. If you are not attempting to outline the encyclopedia, you might actually prefer the more concise versions.