Menu

Ohio homeschoolers...Have you read this..Is it true?

snowbeltmom

This was posted this afternoon on another list. I have not had time to verify it yet. I hope it is legit. Has anyone heard anything about this?

"When Ohio Governor John Kasich signed the state’s $62 billion, two-year budget into law on Sunday night, some homeschoolers were stunned to find out that tucked inside was language (3313.5312) expanding the rights of homeschooled and private school students. They will now be permitted to participate in extracurricular activities in the public schools in their home districts, including high school athletics. Without debate or fanfare, legislators added an amendment in the finance committee before the final vote giving homeschoolers (and private school students whose schools do not offer a particular activity) the right to join their local public schools for extracurricular activities:"

The article goes on to say that homeschoolers do not have to partially enroll in the public school system in order to be eligible to participate in extracurricular activities. In addition, no additional testing will be imposed on homeschoolers that participate in the extracurricular activities.

"The law does not require homeschooled students to attend the public school as a requirement for participation in activities. Hall said the senate tried to add language allowing superintendents to require part-time enrollment in school, but that language was struck from the final budget. The academic requirements for homeschooled students who wish to participate are simple: continue to “meet any academic requirements established by the state board of education for the continuation of home instruction.â€

http://pjmedia.com/l...her-activities/

I came here just to find out if it's true. I don't have an athlete, but my son has expressed interest in being in marching band in high school. I really hope this is true because right now our district doesn't allow *any* access to homeschoolers and they just passed a HUGE new levy.

I'm amazed that I hadn't heard anything about this. We currently have a small Christian school that allows us to participate but it will be wonderful to have options for my kids. My oldest will be sad that it came too late for him (he would have been able to play baseball at our high school with this law) but he'll be glad the youngers have the opportunity.

We already have this! Maybe it depends on the district?

Yes, prior to this it depended on individual districts to make the decision and the homeschooler was required to be partially enrolled at the public school.

I always found it ironic that our school district had declared in the very month that I started homeschooling that there would be no participation by homeschoolers. They have since made exceptions but always required partial enrollment as that was the ruling from the Ohio Athletic Association for participation on a sports team.

We already have this! Maybe it depends on the district?

No homeschooler in the state had this exactly. Now we can participate without stepping foot in the school during school hours.

:party: :party:

In the past, the state left the decision up to each district. The Ohio Athletic Association also required that a homeschooler partially enroll in the public school system in order to be eligible to play a sport. Since homeschoolers had to partially enroll, the public school would get additional funding from the state. This additional state funding provided an incentive to allow homeschoolers to participate in the after-school activities we were already funding with our tax dollars.

Now, homeschoolers don't have to partially enroll in the school system. This bill also states that the athletic association can't require homeschoolers to enroll in order to be eligible to play high school athletics. :hurray:

I am waiting for the fall-out once the school administrations realize that they will no longer be receiving any additional funds when homeschoolers participate in these activities.

I can't believe this was passed with no publicity at all!

ETA: Janet posted while I was typing, sorry for the redundant info.

Aren't most music opportunities at least , (like choir, marching band, orchestra etc) usually part of regular classes, (+ some additional after school practice if needed) and not exclusively after school activities? I still think we won't have access to those. We will only have access to things that are purely after school activities. Even with those it will be a limited selection because for instance math clubs that participate in math competitions are bound by the rules of those competitions most of which specify that the student has to be enrolled in the school to participate as part of that particular school's team.

Also to the poster above that said that 08 schools are excluded. That is incorrect. It specifically says that students in private etc schools can participate in the public school extracurriculars that their own school doesn't offer. So everybody is covered.

Aren't most music opportunities at least , (like choir, marching band, orchestra etc) usually part of regular classes, (+ some additional after school practice if needed) and not exclusively after school activities? I still think we won't have access to those. We will only have access to things that are purely after school activities. Even with those it will be a limited selection because for instance math clubs that participate in math competitions are bound by the rules of those competitions most of which specify that the student has to be enrolled in the school to participate as part of that particular school's team.

Also to the poster above that said that 08 schools are excluded. That is incorrect. It specifically says that students in private etc schools can participate in the public school extracurriculars that their own school doesn't offer. So everybody is covered.

I don't think that students enrolled in 08 schools have the same opportunities as homeschoolers. The bill states that the student must be receiving home instruction in accordance with division (A)(2) of section 3321.04. Here is the verbiage from another section of the bill that addresses this issue: Part © is the statement that leads me to believe that I am going to have to dissolve my 08 school in order for my kids to play sports for the high school.

If the nonpublic school in which the student is enrolled does not offer the extracurricular activity, a student enrolled in a chartered or nonchartered nonpublic school shall be afforded, by the superintendent of the school district in which the student is entitled to attend school under section 3313.64 or 3313.65 of the Revised Code, the opportunity to participate in that extracurricular activity at the district school to which the student otherwise would be assigned during that school year. If more than one school operated by the school district serves the student's grade level, as determined by the district superintendent based on the student's age and academic performance, the student shall be afforded the opportunity to participate in that extracurricular activity at the school to which the student would be assigned by the superintendent under section 3319.01 of the Revised Code.

© The superintendent of any school district may afford any student enrolled in a nonpublic school, and who is not entitled to attend school in the district under section 3313.64 or 3313.65 of the Revised Code, the opportunity to participate in an extracurricular activity offered by a school of the district, if both of the following apply:

(1) The nonpublic school in which the student is enrolled does not offer the extracurricular activity;

(2) The extracurricular activity is not interscholastic athletics or interscholastic contests or competition in music, drama, or forensics.

I have not seen any statement that the club/activity has to occur after school hours in order for the homeschooler to participate. Many schools in Ohio have already permitted homeschoolers to partially enroll in the system, so they should be used to having homeschoolers coming and going from the school throughout the day.

My oldest has participated in the Math Olympiad at my public school during middle school and the Chemistry Olympiad at my neighboring public school (it was not offered at my high school) with no problems. My friend's homeschooled kids have been competing in Science Olympiad at our public school for years as well. None of us has ever had a problem with these organizations.

Even with those it will be a limited selection because for instance math clubs that participate in math competitions are bound by the rules of those competitions most of which specify that the student has to be enrolled in the school to participate as part of that particular school's team.

I think they even thought about this because this rule is written into the bill:

(G) No school district, interscholastic conference, or organization that regulates interscholastic conferences or events shall require a student who is eligible to participate in interscholastic extracurricular activities under this section to meet eligibility requirements that conflict with this section.

Just in case anyone is interested, here is the name of the representative who inserted the amendment into the bill:

"Rep. Dave Hall (R-Millersburg) inserted the amendment without objection. He told me on Tuesday morning that it was an open process in the finance committee rather than something slipped in at the last minute:

“I did it on the finance committee in front of many stakeholders. There was no behind the doors deal. It was basically up front. It was amended in and accepted by the committee…so we did use the process correctly.â€

Hall said that his office had been working with local stakeholders in the homeschooling community in his district to draft a bill to give homeschoolers the right to participate in extracurricular activities, but saw an opportunity with the budget process. “We were reforming education on the funding side and so it was the perfect opportunity to put the amendment right into the budget.â€

Hall’s Chief of Staff, Mike McGuire, who had been homeschooled and denied the opportunity to participate in high school athletics, helped move the issue: “He was a frustrated young man trying to get on the tennis team. He educated myself and many others on the issue.â€

Here is the contact info in case anyone else is interested in sending him a thank-you message:

http://www.ohiohouse.gov/david-hall

Here's the whole thing. Specifically, read the beginning part. I think it would apply to 08 schools;

Sec. 3313.5311. (A) As used in this section and in section 3313.5312 of the Revised Code, "extracurricular activity" has the same meaning as in section 3313.537 of the Revised Code.(B) If the nonpublic school in which the student is enrolled does not offer the extracurricular activity, a student enrolled in a chartered or nonchartered nonpublic school shall be afforded, by the superintendent of the school district in which the student is entitled to attend school under section 3313.64 or 3313.65 of the Revised Code, the opportunity to participate in that extracurricular activity at the district school to which the student otherwise would be assigned during that school year. If more than one school operated by the school district serves the student's grade level, as determined by the district superintendent based on the student's age and academic performance, the student shall be afforded the opportunity to participate in that extracurricular activity at the school to which the student would be assigned by the superintendent under section 3319.01 of the Revised Code.

© The superintendent of any school district may afford any student enrolled in a nonpublic school, and who is not entitled to attend school in the district under section 3313.64 or 3313.65 of the Revised Code, the opportunity to participate in an extracurricular activity offered by a school of the district, if both of the following apply:

(1) The nonpublic school in which the student is enrolled does not offer the extracurricular activity;

(2) The extracurricular activity is not interscholastic athletics or interscholastic contests or competition in music, drama, or forensics.

(D) In order to participate in an extracurricular activity under this section, the student shall be of the appropriate age and grade level, as determined by the superintendent of the district, for the school that offers the extracurricular activity, and shall fulfill the same academic, nonacademic, and financial requirements as any other participant.

(E) No school district shall impose additional rules on a student to participate under this section that do not apply to other students participating in the same extracurricular activity. No district shall impose additional fees for a student to participate under this section that exceed any fees charged to other students participating in the same extracurricular activity.

(F) No school district, interscholastic conference, or organization that regulates interscholastic conferences or events shall require a student who is eligible to participate in interscholastic extracurricular activities under this section to meet eligibility requirements that conflict with this section.

Sec. 3313.5312. (A) A student who is receiving home instruction in accordance with division (A)(2) of section 3321.04 of the Revised Code shall be afforded, by the superintendent of the school district in which the student is entitled to attend school under section 3313.64 or 3313.65 of the Revised Code, the opportunity to participate in any extracurricular activity offered at the district school to which the student otherwise would be assigned during that school year. If more than one school operated by the school district serves the student's grade level, as determined by the district superintendent based on the student's age and academic performance, the student shall be afforded the opportunity to participate in extracurricular activities at the school to which the student would be assigned by the superintendent under section 3319.01 of the Revised Code. If a student who is afforded the opportunity to participate in extracurricular activities under division (A) of this section wishes to participate in an activity that is offered by the district, the student shall not participate in that activity at another school or school district to which the student is not entitled to attend.

(B) The superintendent of any school district may afford any student who receives home instruction under division (A)(2) of section 3321.04 of the Revised Code, and who is not entitled to attend school in the district under section 3313.64 or 3313.65 of the Revised Code, the opportunity to participate in any extracurricular activity offered by a school of the district, if the district to which the student is entitled to attend does not offer that extracurricular activity.

© In order to participate in an extracurricular activity under this section, the student shall be of the appropriate age and grade level, as determined by the superintendent of the district, for the school that offers the extracurricular activity, shall fulfill the same nonacademic and financial requirements as any other participant, and shall fulfill either of the following academic requirements:

(1) If the student received home instruction in the preceding grading period, the student shall meet any academic requirements established by the state board of education for the continuation of home instruction.

(2) If the student did not receive home instruction in the preceding grading period, the student's academic performance during the preceding grading period shall have met any academic standards for eligibility to participate in the program established by the school district.

(D) Eligibility for a student who leaves a school district mid-year for home instruction shall be determined based on an interim academic assessment issued by the district in which the student was enrolled based on the student's work while enrolled in that district.

(E) Any student who commences home instruction after the beginning of a school year and who is, at the time home instruction commences, ineligible to participate in an extracurricular activity due to failure to meet academic standards or any other requirements of the district shall not participate in the extracurricular activity under this section until the student meets the academic requirements established by the state board of education for continuation of home instruction as verified by the superintendent of the district. No student under this section shall be eligible to participate in the same semester in which the student was determined ineligible.

(F) No school district shall impose additional rules on a student to participate under this section that do not apply to other students participating in the same extracurricular activity. No district shall impose fees for a student to participate under this section that exceed any fees charged to other students participating in the same extracurricular activity.

(G) No school district, interscholastic conference, or organization that regulates interscholastic conferences or events shall require a student who is eligible to participate in interscholastic extracurricular activities under this section to meet eligibility requirements that conflict with this section.

Here's the whole thing. Specifically, read the beginning part. I think it would apply to 08 schools;

Sec. 3313.5311. (A) As used in this section and in section 3313.5312 of the Revised Code, "extracurricular activity" has the same meaning as in section 3313.537 of the Revised Code.( B) If the nonpublic school in which the student is enrolled does not offer the extracurricular activity, a student enrolled in a chartered or nonchartered nonpublic school shall be afforded, by the superintendent of the school district in which the student is entitled to attend school under section 3313.64 or 3313.65 of the Revised Code, the opportunity to participate in that extracurricular activity at the district school to which the student otherwise would be assigned during that school year. If more than one school operated by the school district serves the student's grade level, as determined by the district superintendent based on the student's age and academic performance, the student shall be afforded the opportunity to participate in that extracurricular activity at the school to which the student would be assigned by the superintendent under section 3319.01 of the Revised Code.

(snip)

I wish I could agree with your interpretation because I would much prefer to continue operating as an 08 school for the simple fact that it is much less paperwork and expense to operate as an 08 school.

I am not an attorney, but item 2 of section c specifically states that any student enrolled in a nonpublic school can participate in an extracurricular activity provided the activity is NOT interscholastic athletics or interscholastic contests. In my opinion, this sentence is making a clear distinction between students enrolled 08 schools and homeschoolers, and 08 students are not permitted to play on their high school sports teams or participate in any of the Olympiads, music competitions between schools, etc.

The state does not consider students enrolled in 08 schools to be home educated. As far as the state is concerned, students enrolled in 08 schools are private schooled students.

My guess is that the bill made a distinction between 08 schools and homeschoolers in order to satisfy the academic requirements of the Ohio High School Athletic Association. Unlike homeschoolers, there are no academic regulations for students enrolled in 08 schools. The lack of educational regulations would pose a potential problem if the student played high school sports since it would be impossible to prove with the current laws that an 08 student is meeting academic benchmarks.

I'm no lawyer either, but isn't that section (which you put in bold) talking about students who wish to participate in extracurriculars *outside* of their designated school district? As long as the public school which they want to utilize for extracurriculars falls in their designated school district they are covered under:

Sec. 3313.5311. (A) As used in this section and in section 3313.5312 of the Revised Code, "extracurricular activity" has the same meaning as in section 3313.537 of the Revised Code.( B) If the nonpublic school in which the student is enrolled does not offer the extracurricular activity, a student enrolled in a chartered or nonchartered nonpublic school shall be afforded, by the superintendent of the school district in which the student is entitled to attend school under section 3313.64 or 3313.65 of the Revised Code, the opportunity to participate in that extracurricular activity at the district school to which the student otherwise would be assigned during that school year.

Btw, totally off topic, I just noticed your siggy and am very impressed to see such rigorous STEM oriented load as a curriculum from an Ohio mom. Most of the homeschoolers I know real life are more into art and music and don't care much about advanced math and such. Do you by any chance live somewhere in the Cleveland area? I would love to meet up with a like-minded mom and learn from her as we are just starting out (my oldest one will be 8 in September) and could totally use some wisdom, advice and I would love for my kids to meet some older math-y kids that they could look up to.

I'm no lawyer either, but isn't that section (which you put in bold) talking about students who wish to participate in extracurriculars *outside* of their designated school district? As long as the public school which they want to utilize for extracurriculars falls in their designated school district they are covered under:

Sec. 3313.5311. (A) As used in this section and in section 3313.5312 of the Revised Code, "extracurricular activity" has the same meaning as in section 3313.537 of the Revised Code.( http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/cool.png If the nonpublic school in which the student is enrolled does not offer the extracurricular activity, a student enrolled in a chartered or nonchartered nonpublic school shall be afforded, by the superintendent of the school district in which the student is entitled to attend school under section 3313.64 or 3313.65 of the Revised Code, the opportunity to participate in that extracurricular activity at the district school to which the student otherwise would be assigned during that school year.

Btw, totally off topic, I just noticed your siggy and am very impressed to see such rigorous STEM oriented load as a curriculum from an Ohio mom. Most of the homeschoolers I know real life are more into art and music and don't care much about advanced math and such. Do you by any chance live somewhere in the Cleveland area? I would love to meet up with a like-minded mom and learn from her as we are just starting out (my oldest one will be 8 in September) and could totally use some wisdom, advice and I would love for my kids to meet some older math-y kids that they could look up to.

For some reason, I my text is not showing up using Chrome. :confused1:

I missed the fact that 2c was discussing private schooled kids that wanted to participate in an extracurricular at another district.  So it looks like if I kept my 08 status, my kids could play high school sports for our local high school, but would not be able to compete in the science Olympiads. (My local school refuses to offer them, and the neighboring district has permitted my son to compete with them.)  Thanks for pointing that out.

Has this new law received any media coverage in your areas of the state? It has received zero coverage in my neck of the woods. I am wondering if the school administrations or the OHSAA are even aware of this new law?

I've heard nothing other than here and a bit on FB and a cross-country coach for a public school that attends our church had heard nothing as of Wednesday night. He was interested in how that would work. He's wanted one of my kids to run for him for years. We don't live in his district, but his district is an

open-enrollment district with ours so we're interested to know if our kids could participate in his district. He's doing some investigating for us - it's a bit sticky because our high schooler would want to run for

cross-country in the school district and then continue to play basketball with the small private school he's always played with.

No news coverage here in Kettering (Dayton area) either. I am in close contact with our district's superintendent as he invited several homeschooling families to a continuing pow-wow on the subject of homeschoolers and extra-curriculars. He and the board were blindsided by this legislation. I brought it to their attention. The Ohio State Board of Education has offered them no direction. They're winging it. As always, the onus will be on us to gently but persistently pursue the school district and make sure our children are considered in however they intend to implement the new regulations.

Debbie

He and the board were blindsided by this legislation. I brought it to their attention. The Ohio State Board of Education has offered them no direction. They're winging it. As always, the onus will be on us to gently but persistently pursue the school district and make sure our children are considered in however they intend to implement the new regulations.

Debbie

Debbie, how did the board members react when they found out?  Did your school have a partial enrollment policy in the past for homeschoolers?

I am curious to see how the regulations will be implemented as well.  It really shouldn't be that difficult to implement: the student just proves his residency status and homeschooling status.  However, we are dealing with a bureaucracy, so it probably won't be that simple.

There is not much time for the schools to figure this out since practice for fall sports begins in less than a month.

Debbie, how did the board members react when they found out?  Did your school have a partial enrollment policy in the past for homeschoolers?

I am curious to see how the regulations will be implemented as well.  It really shouldn't be that difficult to implement: the student just proves his residency status and homeschooling status.  However, we are dealing with a bureaucracy, so it probably won't be that simple.

There is not much time for the schools to figure this out since practice for fall sports begins in less than a month.

2-a-days started here already for football.

Our superintendent did not give particulars, snowbeltmom, only the comment in answer to my email that they had no idea this was coming. A recent board decision to lower the enrollment requirements to the minimum required by the state (which, before Sunday, was the 1 class enrollment to participate in sports (required by the OHSAA) is what brought us together for the pow-wow last spring. Our superintendent wanted to find out how to best get the word out and meet the needs of local homeschoolers who choose to participate. So, he at least, seems eager and open to the idea. The board seems to follow his lead, for the most part. I suspect, in our case, much of the legwork was done this past summer when they implemented their new policy. It is not clear, though, what will change and how soon.

So, he at least, seems eager and open to the idea. The board seems to follow his lead, for the most part. I suspect, in our case, much of the legwork was done this past summer when they implemented their new policy. It is not clear, though, what will change and how soon.

I am hoping that the school systems are going to have to comply with the law and grant us access immediately.  We should not be required to take any classes at the public school.  

The month of August may be interesting.

Here is the response from the district's Athletic Director to my request for more info. My response follows. Doesn't sound like anything's gonna happen quickly. I suggest an email deluge to OHSAA and the State Board of Ed asking for prompt response to HB59.

Hi Debbie,

I would like to get an answer for your question regarding home schooling but it would be helpful if you were able to tell me exactly what you're looking for.  

I have read through section 3313 of HB 59 to familiarize myself.  I have also contacted the Ohio High School Athletic Association to inquire about any changes to their bylaws in response to HB 59.  To my understanding there has not been a change in their policy.  

Their current policy reads:

Section 3. Enrollment and Attendance

4-3-1  All students participating in a school-sponsored sport must be enrolled in and attending full-time 
in accordance with all duly adopted Board of Education or similar governing board policies of 
that school.

Exception 6: A student who is home schooled and is enrolled in a member school in accordance with the partial enrollment policy of a Board of Education or similar governing board 
may be eligible at the school where the student is enrolled and attending. Such partial enrollment 
policy requires that at least one of the courses be taken at the school’s physical location. note: A 
student entering a member school from a home school must do so at the beginning of the school 
year after having been home schooled for at least one calendar year. Failure to meet this one-year 
provision requires the student to be enrolled for a minimum of one grading period before the 
student can be declared eligible.

Please let me know how else I can assist you in answer your question.  

Thanks,
Chris 
cleardot.gif

Debbie Wescott <sebbiedue1@gmail.com>
1:41 PM (4 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to ChrisJim
cleardot.gif

Thanks you for that information, Chris. I appreciate the legwork. My original request asked what if any changes would be made to KCS's existing process due to this new legislation, as I am in the midst of planning for my 8th-grader to sign up to take a class at Van Buren so she can run track this spring. It sounds from the above, that there are several more steps required at the state level before individual districts can consider how it may affect them. Do I understand correctly?

I am not at all familiar with how this works. I would assume the State Board of Education and OHSAA will react to the legislation via whatever processes they are required to follow, before local districts take any action. Can you clarify what that process looks like and the timeline it will likely follow?

I will continue as planned to enroll my daughter at Van Buren.

Thank you again.

ETA: I incorrectly stated the email was from our district's lawyer. It turns out it was from the athletic director. The superintendent did say in a previous email that he was asking the district lawyer to look into it, so I assumed the response was from the lawyer and didn't follow all the quoted text to the bottom of the email to see his signature block stating his job as AD.

Edited by SebbieDue

{snip}
I have read through section 3313 of HB 59 to familiarize myself.  I have also contacted the Ohio High School Athletic Association to inquire about any changes to their bylaws in response to HB 59.  To my understanding there has not been a change in their policy.  
{snip}

cleardot.gif

I am not at all familiar with how this works. I would assume the State Board of Education and OHSAA will react to the legislation via whatever processes they are required to follow, before local districts take any action. Can you clarify what that process looks like and the timeline it will likely follow?

Debbie,

Thanks for your update.

The law has received zero publicity in my area at least.  The OHSAA may not be aware of the recent law. This arrogant, power- grubbing organization refuses to accept phone calls from parents, so none of us can enlighten them.

If your district athletic director read the section carefully, he would have realized that the OHSAA no longer has the authority to dictate educational policy.  I am beyond thrilled to see this organization punted out of the homeschooling classroom and back on the athletic field where it belongs.

The law states that the changes go into effect for the 2013-2014 school year.  The timeline should be pretty straight-forward.   On paper this should be very easy to implement.  I have a feeling that the reality may not be quite so simple.

Fwiw, I am going into my board of education office tomorrow and asking what paperwork they need from me in order for my kids to register to play on the high school team.  I doubt that they will have any idea what I am talking about, but this will get the ball rolling.

My district has been wonderful to work with now that I have been homeschooling.  I will keep you updated on what happens tomorrow. 

Debbie,

Thanks for your update.

My district has been wonderful to work with now that I have been homeschooling.  I will keep you updated on what happens tomorrow.

We've been discussing the possibilities around here and my high schooler isn't really interested in pursuing the opportunity this year but I'm just dying to go up to our district offices and ask them just to see if they know anything bout it. I'm guessing that someone needs to be the "squeaky wheel" in each district to get this opportunity rolling smoothly for the future. Hmmmmm . . . maybe I should talk to my 16yods a bit harder about soccer or cross-country!

We've been discussing the possibilities around here and my high schooler isn't really interested in pursuing the opportunity this year but I'm just dying to go up to our district offices and ask them just to see if they know anything bout it. I'm guessing that someone needs to be the "squeaky wheel" in each district to get this opportunity rolling smoothly for the future. Hmmmmm . . . maybe I should talk to my 16yods a bit harder about soccer or cross-country!

Soccer and cross-country involve way too much running for my boys  - there is no way I would be able to talk them into that.  I was thinking of seeing if they wanted to try out for the golf team despite the fact that they haven't hit a golf ball all summer. :tongue_smilie:

Anybody here an HSLDA member? Would you consider contacting them to get their input? My school district, for one, is in no hurry to figure things out for us. It shouldn't take the threat of lawsuit to get them off their fannies, but maybe if hslda sent a letter or two and encouraged a school district to implement the policy, maybe others would fall in line.

The law states that the changes go into effect for the 2013-2014 school year.  The timeline should be pretty straight-forward.   

Good luck tomorrow. Can you tell me where in the bill it states that the changes go into effect for the 2013/2014 school year? I can't find it.

Good luck tomorrow. Can you tell me where in the bill it states that the changes go into effect for the 2013/2014 school year? I can't find it.

I don't think it does specifically state the 2013-2014 school year.  However, these requirements are now law.  The law does not state the school districts have "X" amount of time to implement this.  Dragging this out would not be fair to the kids.

This should not be difficult.  The school district had no trouble figuring out how to let my kids play sports for the high school team when I had to partially enroll.  Now, I should have to provide the same information as before to verify that my family lives in the district, etc.  The only difference will be that I won't have to register the kids for "independent study" at the high school in order to satisfy the OHSAA.

Thankfully, the OHSAA is not permitted to add any additional requirements.  They will just have to use the DELETE key quite a bit in their current regulations. :hurray:  Have I mentioned how much I have hated having the OHSAA interfering with my kids' educations?

I have a feeling that the districts are going to be upset about this new law because by requiring homeschoolers to partially enroll, the state gave the school district additional funds for each partially enrolled homeschooler.  In these economic times, some districts were courting homeschoolers simply to increase their revenue.  I hope my district truly had the best interest of the kids in mind and not their bottom line.  I guess I will find out that answer to that question soon.

I just arrived back from speaking with the assistant super of our school district.  She said that she has been swamped with emails from the ODE just lately.  One of the emails she received did address this issue, but she said she did not pay much attention because our school district already has a policy in place to permit homeschoolers to participate in extracurricular activities.

I gave her a copy of the actual language and explained that the law now says that homeschoolers do not have to take a class at the high school in order to be able to participate in these activities.  Her response was that the OHSAA requires homeschoolers to take a class.  I explained that, thankfully, the law addresses this issue and prevents the OHSAA from having this requirement.

She was very gracious and thanked me for bringing the issue to her attention.  She said that the school needs to adhere to the OHSAA bylaws. She is going to have the school attorney look into the matter and get back to me.

It may come down to which entity in Ohio has more power: the State legislature or the OHSAA.  

It may come down to which entity in Ohio has more power: the State legislature or the OHSAA.

It's amazing that this would even be a contest . .. the State Legislature vs. an athletic association?

I was thinking about this last night and wondering what conversations have gone on behind closed doors. I can't believe that the state legislature passed this without any conversation with the athletic association.

The Legislature will win against OHSAA; however, it's hard to say how long it will take to get that through OHSAA's thick head.

The schools won't take a chance by crossing OHSAA. They have too much to lose.

Still looking for someone w/ HSLDA membership to push this.

The Legislature will win against OHSAA; however, it's hard to say how long it will take to get that through OHSAA's thick head.

It's amazing that this would even be a contest . .. the State Legislature vs. an athletic association?

I was thinking about this last night and wondering what conversations have gone on behind closed doors. I can't believe that the state legislature passed this without any conversation with the athletic association.

:iagree:

I am so glad that they kept this association out of the conversation.  They have no business setting educational policies. They have way too much power over all of Ohio's kids as it is.   Here are a few examples (I know the people involved in these cases.)

Did you know that the OHSAA will not permit a student who transfers from a public school to a private school to play for his private school's sport teams for an entire year?  (this rule is not applicable if a student goes from private to public) My friend's son wanted to transfer from his ps to a private Catholic school for 10th grade.  He decided not to because he would not be able to play baseball or football for an entire year.

There was also a student who played soccer  who transferred from a public school to a private school after 9th grade because her academic needs were not being met at the public school.  Both the public school and the private school petitioned the OHSAA stating that the student was transferring for academic reasons only and she deserved to be able to play high school sports.  The OHSAA denied her request.  The OHSAA has been sued over this issue many times, yet the policy remains.  Who are they looking out for? It certainly isn't the kids.

Then there is the case of my son. My son is working on a research project that would make it impossible for him to attend our public school for 85 minutes every day of the week.  Last year, my son and I met with our district to try to find a way to permit him to continue with his research and satisfy this athletic association's education policies.  The school administrator actually told my son that from an academic standpoint, he should just forget about playing for the high school tennis team.  

So my son could have gone to the public school for 85 minutes every day and taken gym class and that would have met the athletic associations educational policies.  However, conducting research under the guidance of a world-renowned doctor would not meet the educational requirements of this association because my son would not be able to attend the high school five days a week.

This law will give my boys the chance to play high school tennis together without having to sacrifice any aspect of their educations.

My husband thinks that there will be no contest between the State Legislature and the OHSAA.  I am not so optimistic.  

:iagree:  

The assistant super was very clear that they can't risk not following the OHSAA bylaws,no matter what Ohio law states.  

I am not a member.  Debbie, could you start another thread on the General Board asking a HSLDA member to bring this issue to their attention?  More people might see it there who would be able to help.

Maybe the OHSAA is revising its policies, but since they refuse to accept phone calls from parents, we have no way of knowing.

I just got off the phone with someone at the OHSAA.  She would not answer any of my questions, and told me to contact my public school.  She did say that the commissioners are aware of the new law.  I then asked her if they were going to revise the bylaws to be in compliance with the new laws.  She told me she couldn't say what changes were going to be made. I then asked her if she could at least tell me whether or not the bylaws would be revised so homeschoolers would not have to take a class at the public school.  She told me again to contact my public school.

At least the OHSAA is aware of the new law.  Hopefully, they will abide by this law without incident and I will have spent my time getting aggravated for nothing.

We had a bill passed last year in our state that is almost identical and yes, in the case of our public school (those which we are zoned for), most of the music and art classes are part of the school day and, to top it off, homeschoolers here AREN'T ALLOWED to partially enroll, making it virtually impossible to take advantage of anything other than sports. Bah humbug.

Add to that, our zoned middle school is a magnet arts academy, so seriously - almost every single art and music class is part of the school day (as well as some things like dance).

Just got word of the following email convo btwn our district AD (Chris) and OHSAA:

--------begin email----------

I reached out to the OHSAA last week to inquire about their understanding of HB 59 and how this would impact their current policy.

Here is the response I received from one of the assistant commissioners:

Chris:

We cannot have any regulations that violate state law thus we will have to adjust the current enrollment and attendance policy. We will put out some guidance, but it will take some time.

Roxanne

So it appears there will be a change but it might take them a little time to adjust their policy.  I will let you know more as soon as I hear something.  

------------end email--------------

This is very good news!

Our district had already implemented a no enrollment policy for everything but sports, so this won't be a big deal for them, policy-wise, but this info will be a huge blessing to those districts worried that their athletes/teams will lose the state's blessing if they allow non-enrolled homeschoolers to participate.

I hope they don't make any attempts at finding an "end around" the new law.

Thanks for your update, Debbie. 

I came home this morning to find a message on my answering machine from my school district.  They have also been in touch with the OHSAA, and the administrator who left the message had the same information as Debbie has just posted.  She also mentioned something about having 90 days to be in compliance with the new law.

I also hope the OHSAA doesn't drag this out for three months.  The homeschooling regulations are not that complicated.  There are only one two sections in the OHSAA regulations that pertain specifically to homeschoolers.  I have listed them below.

"Exception 6: A student who is home schooled and is enrolled in a member school in accordance with the partial enrollment policy of a Board of Education or similar governing board may be eligible at the school where the student is enrolled and attending. Such partial enrollment policy requires that at least one of the courses be taken at the school’s physical location. note: A student entering a member school from a home school must do so at the beginning of the school year after having been home schooled for at least one calendar year. Failure to meet this one-year provision requires the student to be enrolled for a minimum of one grading period before the student can be declared eligible."

"The primary responsibility for verifying eligibility rests with the receiving school. Eligibility shall be verified by reviewing school records or written verification from the sending school."

In the past, I have just submitted a one page form to the high school principal listing the classes and letter grades.  It was no big deal at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's front page of the PD is reporting that homeschoolers can join public school teams. The article states that the new provisions will officially become effective at the end of September. 

According to the article, an official with the OHSAA testified at a legislative committee hearing that the old policy for participation by homeschoolers, "seemed to be working well for years" and didn't need to be changed.  I wonder what she based her conclusion on considering that the OHSAA refuses to communicate in any manner with parents.  The policy was not working well.  The OHSAA was interfering with my kids' educations.  

I am surprised that it took this long for the story to break.  I wonder if there will be any public outcry now.  I hope not.

My local school district does not allow partial enrollment or any kind of participation by homeschoolers. They are not going to be happy about this new law. My children aren't likely to want to participate in school sports anyway, but considering the enormous school levies that our community keeps passing, I'm happy that some homeschooling families can get something for their money.

Here is the response from the OHSAA posted on its website this week:

http://www.ohsaa.org/eligibility/4-3-1Guidance-July2013.pdf

"Ohio law, be it enacted by the General Assembly or through common law, always 
supersedes the bylaws, rules and regulations enacted by the member schools of the OHSAA. As 
such, the Commissioner’s Office is compelled to recognize and to comply with these laws as 
enacted by the legislature. To the extent these changes in the Code conflict with OHSAA bylaws 
or your school policy, the Code prevails, and that is precisely how the Commissioner’s Office 
intends to go about enforcement of these changes as they relate to Bylaw 4-3. "

I am very happy that the changes will be implemented this school year.   :hurray: