Menu

Missouri whole house fans?

hollyh

We have a whole house fan and love it. My friend is building a house in MO and is wondering if it would be useful there? She lives on the west coast and can't find much info on if people in MO find it beneficial. Can anyone help?

Where in MO? The weather patterns vary quite a bit. So do the amount of allergens.

It would also depend on how the house is sited and constructed -- high ceilings? Lots of shade?

We live in the St. Louis area. We had one when we moved in, and ended up removing it. It was usually either too hot or too cold or too pollen-ish for us to use it. Other people around here just love theirs, though.

We had one in a very small house. It was only useful up to about 80 degrees. The humidity in MO is such that you want the AC on. And I couldn't use it during the cooler temp times because those were when my seasonal allergies were at their worst.

Humidity and allergies are huge issues as pp mentioned. If she chooses still to put one in, the key is to run it after 10 pm, shut the house back up before 6 am, and keep the curtains closed on the windows to limit solar gain. Honestly, the weather is nice here for 2-3 weeks in spring and again in fall. The rest of the time she'll be running her ac or furnace.

We had an attic fan in one of our houses growing up and used it nearly every evening in the summer time. Our house doesn't have one, and no one I know has one or uses it if they do. I think we would have had more use for it when we lived in the northeastern part of the state than we do in St. Louis. Allergies can be pretty rough here.

Isn't it so nice that humidity and allergies are the first concerns about the weather. :lol:

I think it depends is a good answer. Right now the air is cool, the pollen is very high, so it would just suck in the allergans. Also, even if she doesn't have allergies in the west, a new state may create some, happened when we moved south.

I live in a 1920s bungalow which was designed with air flow in mind. I can open the windows and get a nice breeze. After a certain temperature the AC becomes necessary though.

More likely to be used would be ceiling fans. I'm in the north western part of the state. Make sure they're building a basement too. They'll need that more than an attic fan.

We have a whole house fan and love it. My friend is building a house in MO and is wondering if it would be useful there? She lives on the west coast and can't find much info on if people in MO find it beneficial. Can anyone help?

We had one growing up in Houston, TX because we could not afford to run the AC> With careful management of open windows, etc, it worked okay.

We had one when we lived in Missouri (St. Louis area). I used it quite a bit, though I'm don't generally turn on the AC until my house is about 80 degrees. It was particularly helpful in spring and fall when it was hot but not too hot.

It also came in handy when someone burned popcorn in the microwave :001_rolleyes: