Menu

I have been destroyed by a rowing machine. I may never walk properly again!

FaithManor

At the gym last night, I noticed several people using the rowing machines. It looked like good exercise, so I thought, "Hey, I need to get some variety into my workout so I'll try it." I didn't ask the trainer about it, looked simple enough to use and when I started, didn't seem that taxing. Unsure what a typical first workout would be, I did 3000 meters in about 18 min. Worked up a good huff, but thought "No worries." I'd done 1.5 miles on the treadmill - fast walking, sporadic jogging - and four miles on the bike.

I didn't sleep much last night. Around midnight, my calf muscles began charley horsing, and for the first time in my life, I had muscle cramps in my shoulders. I didn't know biceps and shoulder muscles could twist into knots like that! My lower back has gone on strike. The only part of me that doesn't hurt are my fingers, eyeballs, eyelashes, hair, nose, and eyebrows. I'm pretty certain everything else on me aches.

I walk like Frankenstein. When not walking, I feel like jello.

I tried to convince myself that I should go do a very MILD workout this morning to keep everything stretched. However, my body informed my brain that it would kill itself, taking the brain with it, if the brain forced the body to move. There is definitely a mutiny going on inside my muscle/skeletal structure.

I need a shower this morning. I think I might be able to get myself under the water, however, I don't think I can raise my arms high enough to wash my hair. I had a quick shower last night, but didn't do more than wash off the sweat. This may be the only personal hygiene I engage in for a while...it hurts to raise my arms to brush my teeth. It's a bit of a challenge to keep them up to the computer keyboard.

Note to self, the rowing machine is more of a workout than you think...it's evil, lurking in the near future waiting to take it's toll on you when you think you are actually quite fine.

I guess the next time I go, I won't be doing 3000 meters!

Faith - the oozing, melting, Gumby