Menu

Art History & Appreciation / Music History & Appreciation

For Art History/Appreciation this is what we did this last year:

TTC World's Greatest Paintings (highly recommend)

TTC Understanding Great Art (not as engaging and we skipped a few, but still worthwhile)

Literature: I, Juan de Pareja; The Lost Painting (I loved this book but it is VERY technical), Girl in Hyacinth Blue (fascinating story that follows a Vermeer backwards through its history; very good questions for essays in back), 2nd Mrs. Gioconda (highly recommend)

Movie: Girl With a Pearl Earring (warning: one scene is totally unnecessary and I skipped over it so definitely preview first)

We are still finishing our course this summer with virtual tours of several famous art museums.

We use Tapestry of Grace. For art they use: The Story of Architecture Glancey, Jonathan The Story of Painting (Enhanced edition) Beckett, Sister Wendy

For music:

The Vintage Guide to Classical Music by Jan Swafford

This does not include actual music so I draw from my collection. I got almost everything I have used at a local used book and CD store.

Saw this on Yale tonight and remembered your post. http://oyc.yale.edu/music/musi-112

About the Course

This course fosters the development of aural skills that lead to an understanding of Western music. The musical novice is introduced to the ways in which music is put together and is taught how to listen to a wide variety of musical styles, from Bach and Mozart, to Gregorian chant, to the blues.

Saw this on Yale tonight and remembered your post. http://oyc.yale.edu/music/musi-112

About the Course

This course fosters the development of aural skills that lead to an understanding of Western music. The musical novice is introduced to the ways in which music is put together and is taught how to listen to a wide variety of musical styles, from Bach and Mozart, to Gregorian chant, to the blues.

Just wanted to say thank you. I think we will do this one next. It is amazing the number of free quality resources that are availiable.